• New Dangerous Freedom Tee - Out Now!

Available for a limited time. Grab yours now!

Shop now
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS vs SHV

SHV:
•Entry-level Nightforce® riflescope
•Developed for all around use
•High-Quality glass with simplified features
•Best selling MOAR reticle
•ZeroSet™ elevation or capped adjustments

NXS:
•Hard-use Nightforce® product line
•Legacy product line that established Nightforce within the marketplace
•Used by elite military snipers and warfighters
•High-quality glass and features
•Positive clicks for windage and elevation dialing
•ZeroStop™ elevation adjustment

NX8:
•New generation Nightforce® product line with NXS-type ruggedness in a mid-range F1 option
•8x magnification zoom ratio
•Compact and lightweight
•High-quality glass and features
•Built for extreme durability

ATACR:
•Highest level product Nightforce® has to offer
•Most advanced technology features
•Used by long range competitors, elite military units and extreme long range hunters
•ED Glass with high performance features
•ZeroStop™ /ZeroHold™ elevation adjustments
•Power Throw Lever integrated to magnification ring
•Digillum™ – digital reticle illumination
•Flip-up caps standard

the turrets on the nxs will be 10x better hands down, with real zero stop, 20moa or 10mil per rev, all nxs are illuminated, better reticles for ffp or sfp, better durability. Nxs is the better optic.

Reactions: deersniper
the turrets on the nxs will be 10x better hands down, with real zero stop, 20moa or 10mil per rev, all nxs are illuminated, better reticles for ffp or sfp, better durability. Nxs is the better optic.
Thanks for the input, I have spent a little time behind a NXS but never had hands on the SHV. I wasn't sure if it was worth spending the extra money.

I think it’s all relative to what you are putting it on. The SHV is their entry level and would IMO beat out some glass but beat by others. In contrast the NXS is a step above in features, glass, etc.

Looks like they go for about $1700 new. I think that means I’d expect to see them maybe in the $1,200 range. That’s a guess though as I haven’t been watching. It’ll be about what the SHV 4-14 is but in my opinion you’ll be happier with the used NXS over a new SHV.

Now I’m regards to first or second focal plane and Mils or MOA that’s all for you to pick there’s days worth of reading here on those topics. For what it’s worth I run a ffp with the NF Mil-R but to each their own.

That’s kinda what I’m leaning to I think. What’s a reasonable price on a used NXS? I honestly don’t know what’s a good deal or isn’t.
Reasonable depends on use etc. I have that scope. I paid $1650.00 on a tax free weekend. I have only mounted it so it's still like new. If I were selling mine I'd want $1500. As the other guy said you can probably have them for $1200 or so but that's if it's actually used or someone is desperate to sell.

Reasonable depends on use etc. I have that scope. I paid $1650.00 on a tax free weekend. I have only mounted it so it's still like new. If I were selling mine I'd want $1500. As the other guy said you can probably have them for $1200 or so but that's if it's actually used or someone is desperate to sell.
ill probably end up forking the extra out regardless. id hate to spend 1200 on a brand new SHV, and then not be too impressed when I could've spent another 300 and got an NXS.

Reactions: LSUbeatUby40
i can tell you from personal experience the SHV passes the drop test. i had stored it in the top of my safe, it slid and fell and hit the bottom of the metal door frame. no damage and still held zero. had regretted the purchase and wanted the NXS but that made me less regret the purchase...

i can tell you from personal experience the SHV passes the drop test. i had stored it in the top of my safe, it slid and fell and hit the bottom of the metal door frame. no damage and still held zero. had regretted the purchase and wanted the NXS but that made me less regret the purchase...
yea from what I have read they are built like a damn tank.

I currently have a ATACR 4-16, SHV 4-14, and a NXS 2.5-10x24.

Yes the ATACR is clearly worth the extra coin but the SHV impressed me a helluva lot more than I anticipated. I bought mine here with rings for $950 with the plans of flipping it if I didn't like it. Sold the rifle it was on, but will be holding onto it for whenever I have the urge to buy another rifle.

If you can get a good deal on the NXS, you wont regret it. If you settle for the SHV, you might regret it. If you decide the SHV is more than enough for your needs at the current time, you won't regret it.

A bit late to the party but what mechanism is used for the Zero Set in the SHV?

Looks like just bottoming out the elevation cap on the housing?

If I'm not mistaken it depends on which model you have. I think the sfp 3-10 and 4-14 have capped turrents that have a zero SET. not stop. The 5-20 sfp and 4-14 f1 have exposed turrents and use a sort of hard stop system. Once you have zeroed the rifle. You loosen the screws , turn the dial until the zero marks line up, the press the turret down until it bottoms out. The tighten the screws.

Reactions: Totoro
If you can't swing the funds for 1500 or should I say get it past the wife maybe look into a Vortex gen 2. Great scope for the money. Can be had for 7-800 with rings on here. I have a Atacr f1 5-25 now, and just sold a SHV so get another Vortex pst 2 for budget purposes. Yes I'd rather have a NSX then the pst but its also twice the cost. If your budget is to let's say stay below 1k I'd go pst2 all day. If your budget is 1500 I'd try really hard to get a NSX setup.

I think the shv F1 4-14x50 has better glass than any NXS I have had or have used. The haven’t used any other SHV scope so this may not apply to the others. I sold my SHV a while back because I sell everything but it is a great scope. The only thing I would prefer is 10mil turrets and more eye relief. The eye reliew on the 4-14 is close. I wouldnt use it on a magnum or even a light weight .308.

Has anyone on here compared the shv 4-14x50 f1 to the nxs 2.5-10x42 as far as sight picture and clarity is concerned. I'm thinking about buying the nxs for a 308 hunting rifle. I have a shv f1 on my ar10 and I'm curious if nxs is really worth the extra money, over the shv, for something that's gonna sit in the safe 11 months out of the year.

Even if you had to spend a few bucks more, I think the SHV is worth it.

If you can afford to buy a nice example of the NXS F1, they are still a good value after all these years.

Just turned my stimulus check into an NXS from the classifieds on here. Will be the first Nightforce I've owned or even looked through since using them for work, which has now been almost a year ago. Will report my impressions.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I am looking to put something on my 18” LMT rifle. Want something in the neighborhood of 2-10. Unsure about focal plane as this will probably be punching paper mostly. Looking at the NF NXS, and Trijicon Credo line in 2.5-10(15). Is the NF that much better than the offerings for half the price? Thanks for any and all advice as I can’t ever get behind any of these optics.

Reactions: Caterpillardoc