Rifle Scopes Nightforce Unimount. Are mounting bolts close?

Friedfish2

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
This may be a stupid question, but I'm looking at a Nightforce Unimount and it would seem the two mounting screws or bolts are very close to each other. I have only seen internet pictures so I don't know.

Will be used on full size Nightforce scope on an AR-10.

Thanks

Re: Nightforce Unimount. Are mounting bolts close?

More internet pictures for you...

LOL

mpo_260_02_caLarge.jpg

Does this help at all? I'm not sure what you are trying to find out. The NF Unimount is a GREAT option for an auto-loader.

Mark

You won't experience any problems whatsoever using a Unimount on an AR-10 type rifle with a full-size optic. While I understand what you are saying, your concerns are unwarranted. Have at it!!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Uncivilized</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would this mount still be getting the thumbs up if it was going onto a .300 WM, or .338 Lapua? </div></div>

It will handle the recoil if that is what you are asking.

Mark

I Cant see any reason to go for a cantlever mount when not have to.

And when it comes to baselength its of course better the longer the length it is.
So when attaching a 15-18" long scope it feels awkvard to just attach it on 2" length when there is easy space for 4-6" baselength.

The longer baselength the higher possibility for return to zero when reattach the mount.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Cant see any reason to go for a cantlever mount when not have to.

Håkan </div></div>

So why don't you build us a 30 mm mount with 20 moa that is tall enough to clear a flat top AR (other than your cantalevered mount)? This is a glaring omission from the Spuhr lineup.

Redhooker

The answer that I find cantilevers as not the best solution when not needed is not for AR platforms as there is no choise.
But there is a question above on .300 WM and .338 LM.
Why put a cantilever on a .338 LM and .300 WM?

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redhooker

The answer that I find cantilevers as not the best solution when not needed is not for AR platforms as there is no choise.
But there is a question above on .300 WM and .338 LM.
Why put a cantilever on a .338 LM and .300 WM?

Håkan </div></div>

Couldn't agree more, Hakan.
I had a perfectly functional 20 MOA cantilever mount that I replaced with a non-canti mount on a rifle with a nice long rail and no eye relief limitation for this reason.

This freed up the cantilever mount for another AR application.

Joe

I have 3 AR rifles with monolithic uppers that have no such requirements. I would like a non-cantelevered option as would others I know with 30mm optics. I think you will see even more monolithic options in future ARs as well. You have options in 35mm but nothing high enough in 30mm.

Thanks for your reply

Redhooker

Yes you are right, likely we have to make 1,46-1,5" high straight mounts for those and for AR10 as well in 30mm.
I belive we will make one, but don't know when.

If Mile High calls and order 20-30 of them, we will make them.......

Håkan

That would be perfect, I would be happy to order a couple if they do. 1.45 would clear a 6mil cant with a 56mm objective perfectly. 30mm would fit my NF perfectly...
cool.gif

A couple words on this. I fully agree that in a perfect world, on applications for which a cantilever mount is not needed, the ideal mount is a non-cantilevered as it can be made stronger for the same weight.

However, in this imperfect world, if the only mount that will fit your application, is available, is in stock and in your price range is cantilevered, using it will certainly not hurt anything (provided it’s the right one). By “the right one” I mean one designed (well) to handle the recoil and one that is well made.

Obviously taking any given mount and making it cantilevered will weaken it do some degree in some ways. Some cantilevered mounts really are relatively weak/flexible due to this, but that doesn’t mean they all are. And there’s a lot more to the design that’s arguably more important as well.

A large percentage of my customers using my cantilevered mounts on—not just monolithic AR’s—but DTA’s, Barretts, AR-50’s, etc, in 338 Lapua to 50 Cal aren’t doing it because it’s the first mount they happened to try. A great many only felt the need to get my mount after less than acceptable performance from other mounts they were using—many of them non-cantilevered.

From losing zero, groups not being as tight as they should be, to simply rattling loose, to needing a bunch of locktite all over everywhere, to scopes sliding in the rings, to stripped screws, to stripped screw holes…you name it, I’ve seen it. The big guns really expose weaknesses that may never be noticed on a 5.56. Just as many of these with non-cantilevered as that particular design aspect has nothing to do with the above failures.

Both fixed and QD as well, though the greater percentage of problems naturally come from the QD mounts—even the “big name brand” or “best” QD mounts according to so many. Why people would choose them for a 338 or the like, especially one without BUIS, always confounds me a bit. I guess most people don’t realize what a dramatic amount of clamping force one gives up with even a quality QD mount compared with a well designed fixed mount. We’re talking orders of magnitude here (depending upon which exact mounts you’re comparing, of course).

Which goes back to the original question about the NF bolts being close together. Yes, they’re close together but the dramatic increase in clamping force they provide over the QD mounts most are used to makes them much less likely to move than a non-cantilevered QD mount with them spread farther apart or fixed mount with less substantial clamping system. Very much like the “short base” on my cantilever mount (which allows more room for BUIS and other things you may want to mount on the rail) for which I get questioned occasionally—if it’s designed well enough and built well enough, it’s not a worry at all, even on the big guns.

I should note since they’re talked about in this thread, none of the “problem mounts” described above were Spuhr.