• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch on a Tikka T3

Z32MadMan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
I'm looking into buying my first rifle, and I think I have settled on a Tikka T3 Varmint in .223. I have two questions.

Looking at scopes, I'm trying to deside between a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 or a Super Sniper 10x42. This will be used as a range gun for shooting from 100-300 yards. Is the Nikon worth the extra money? The additional magnifications seems nice. Opinions?

Seconds question. How the hell do I mount this thing and what am I going to need? I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. I know in an ideal world I should buy a $1400 scope with $400 in mounting... But what do I realistically need for a mounting a scope on a 300 yards range gun?

Thanks!

Re: Nikon Monarch on a Tikka T3

I would go with the variable scope. Pick up an egw base and burris xtr rings. The base and rings should cost around the 100-150 dollar mark for both depending on where you live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TikkaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking into buying my first rifle, and I think I have settled on a Tikka T3 Varmint in .223. I have two questions.

Looking at scopes, I'm trying to deside between a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 or a Super Sniper 10x42. This will be used as a range gun for shooting from 100-300 yards. Is the Nikon worth the extra money? The additional magnifications seems nice. Opinions?

Seconds question. How the hell do I mount this thing and what am I going to need? I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. I know in an ideal world I should buy a $1400 scope with $400 in mounting... But what do I realistically need for a mounting a scope on a 300 yards range gun?

Thanks! </div></div>

I would choose the Monarch over the Super Sniper. The only thing that the 10x Super Sniper has over the Monarch is adjustment range and that it is technically a front focal plane scope since it is a fixed power scope. But for 100-300yards you don't need that much adjustment range. Your 300 yard dope depending on how fast or slow you are shooting your bullets will range from +3MOA to +6MOA when compared to 100 yard zero (it should be closer to +3MOA to +4MOA in most cases--I am currently shooting my .223 really slow so for me it was +6MOA).

The Monarch optically is much better than a Super Sniper. Just compare them side by side and you will see what I am talking about. The adjustments are crisp on the Monarch, almost too crisp with no backlash or play. Super sniper adjustments are repeatable but tend to have a mushy feel if you don't do an o-ring upgrade and even then in cold weather you will still get that mushy feel to the adjustments.

I used to have a tikka tactical .223 in 24" but now I have one in 20" configuration. They come with the picatinny rail installed. Your Tikka varmint probably does not come stock with a picatinny. I would highly recommend you get a set of picatinny. EGW makes a good rail for the Tikka. I would install that on the varmint and then get a good set of rings from any of the high quality manufactures--Burris XTR, TPS, Seekins, Farrell, Nightforce, Badger Ordnance. I am currently using Badger STD rings on my Tikka tactical. I would not skimp on the mount and the rings since that is the link between your rifle and your scope. Just do a search there are numerous tutorials on how to properly mount your scope. You can even search youtube to find video tutorials.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies.

I scourined sniperhide and the internet for a few hours today and I think I'm going to give the Millet TRS-1 scope a try. It is cheaper than the Nikon and has a lot a bit more elevation available. As well as the warranty.

As for rings, I found a set that will match up with the Tikka's integrated receiver grooves. Warne makes a pair. From what I have heard they seem to be pretty decent, and I also won't have to buy a base.

I have the same scope mounted on a Savage 30-06 and you will not be disappointed. On the other hand, you could consider a Sightron scope which I also have mounted on a Tikka 30-06. I find this scope a little brigher and sharper than the Nikon, and will not be as expensive. The Sightron will also give you more adjustment in elevation should you ever decide to shoot farther. Their warranty also beats the one from Nikon as well. Regardless, you will be happy with the Nikon.