• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nikon scopes - any good???!

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I see that Nikon scopes are on closeout for super savings. Are the M Tactical or the Black any good ? What is considered Nikon’s top of the line scope?

See this thread, post #11 for a review from what I consider to be a trusted member.

I also saw them on closeout and thought about picking one up cheap but bigjimfish’s experience convinced me not to bother. Even if it’s only $380 (for the 4-16 I was looking at) it seems like a waste of $380 that could be put towards a better optic.

I had a M-223 4x16x42 (M-Tactical) for about 5 years, on a 16" AR upper. Actually it worked pretty well and I never had any issues with it, but, I d/n like the 600 BDC ret., because it never aligned with any of the factory ammo that I used, so, it was a waste. Glass was clear enough and I could hit with it, so, it was doable for awhile, but, then I moved on. I'd spend money on something else, since they're out of the rifle scope business now. Mac

I guess everybody is different. I have had great luck with my 4-16x50SF Nikon Black on a Ruger rifle I have been messing with. It will shoot sub MOA all day as long if I do my part. The scope has been very repeatable and return to zero spot on. Not a high dollar rifle/scope combo, but works for me. I have found I like Nikon optics for clarity and color accuracy. I own several other brand scopes, binoculars and spotting scopes and find the coatings Nikon uses works very well for my eyes. Of course my eyes are not as young as they used to be. I have a fairly high dollar ATN on one rifle and prefer the Nikon to it hands down.
1124191246b.jpg

Reactions: GLD1980
I have the FX1000 4-16 and like the previous post, I am more than pleased with it. I am not optic snob by any means. I just like getting value for my money. Are they Nightforce or S&B quality--no but at the price point are affordable and get the job done. I also own 10 other Nikon optic products of which none have ever given me a problem. I feel like Nikon is getting a bad rap for dropping rifle scopes and thus getting a lot of negative reviews. They may get back into optics. Other manufacturers like Burris have gotten out of the scope business only to get back in production. Just my two cents.

I've owned a couple Nikon scopes in the past. The glass was ok and I had zero problems with them. I didn't like the reticles. There are a lot of great choices out there right now that I think are better, but if you had one, I'm sure it would be a dependable optic.

I had a Nikon 4-16X50 Tactical Mil-Dot I paid $750 for back in 2005 mounted in a set of hih dollar Badger rings on top of a Bushmaster BAR-10 and while the glass was fairly nice?...I recall getting flustered and disappointed enough with the tracking/adjustments that I just sold the whole rig because the adjustments made no sense and the groupings were less than impressive..I do recall that after making an adjustment?...it seemed like it took the recoil of lighting one off before it actually moved and when it moved it seemed the scope was undecided on whether it was 1/4" or 1/2" per click (even though the clicks were like the proverbial "glass rod breaking")...15 years later and I now have a DPMS LR-308 AP4 topped w/ a $350 3X Vortex Spitfire that will shoot circles around that old Nikon topped BAR-10 so it's no wonder Nikon is resorting to LE & Mil sales only...they can't compete in the private sector.

Attachments

• Bush11.jpg
    Bush11.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Bush12.jpg
    Bush12.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Bush11.jpg
    Bush11.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Bush12.jpg
    Bush12.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 47
  • VORTEXPRISM.JPG
    VORTEXPRISM.JPG
    559.1 KB · Views: 50
  • GEISSELE5.JPG
    GEISSELE5.JPG
    583 KB · Views: 73
I have 2 Nikon Black FX1000 6-24x50 Mil and they are incredible. The glass clarity is very close to my Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50 when both are on 20x power at low light. The turrets have a zero stop and return to zero function with set screws, not the lift up mechanism some scope utilize. Excellent box test. Europtics bought out Nikon since Nikon is getting out of the rifle scope business apparently. Not sure how that will affect the warranty in the future. Their warranty currently is "no fault" so accidental damage, misuse, whatever they just replace it. I paid $600 for my first one from Opticsplanet and lovedvit so much bought a second one on "clearance" from Europtics for $479 a while back. The price has gone back up some.

I think Nikon Scopes are amazing. Too bad they're gone for good. I've been buying what I can find and afford before they are extinct.

My addiction started a few months ago when I bought a Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm Illum ACSS HUD DMR-308 for a Gen3 Ruger Precision Rifle I had just got.
7.jpg
I've been learning more about optics but I move very slow and still have a long way to go but find it fascinating!
For now, I would like to buy a Primary Arms GLx 6-24x50 ATHENA BPR Mil or the Nikon Black FX1000 6-24x50 Matte IL FX-MRAD FFP 16516 for my .308 RPR. It's just not its turn yet to be fed. I have other mouths to be fed first.
I just paid $430 after taxes & shipping for a new Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF Matte MK1-MRAD. I also just paid $440 after taxes & shipping for two new Nikon M-Tactical 1-4x24 Matte Mk1-MOA LVPO's. They are all pretty much extinct at this point and that is driving the price but they are still worth it. They are made in the Philippines. They all have clear glass and great tactile adjustment turrets built on 30mm tubes and they're very well constructed.
I purchased the Nikon's because I was looking for quality and durability at a savings and I feel I checked those blocks. I can't afford better scopes at the moment but it's not like I'm hurting either. I feel the M-Tactical's are more than adequate for the task and I have a big list of items I'm shopping for. So for now, good enough for my weapons will be sufficient. In the future I can work on better.
4.jpg

One of the 1-4x24 Mk1-MOA LVPO's is for the Ruger MPR above and the other is for the SOCOM16 below.
5.jpg

The 3-12x42SF MK1-MRAD is on my new SIG716I AR-10 below.
6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ser Arthur Dayne
I only tried two Nikon scopes, both have really good glass.

The P-223 3x32 is the perfect size for my 10-22 Takedown since it doesn't extend past the receiver when broken down. It's super clear and has a very easy eye box, but then it's only a 3x.

The Nikon Black 1-4x24 was very clear and easy to acquire a target with, but I couldn't work with the tiny circle reticle at 1x, so I returned it, and I'm done with FFP LPVOs.