• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

No more KIA bracelets for the Marines

Fred_C_Dobbs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2010
I always thought the MIA/KIA bracelets and the Livestrong yellow rubber bands looked very un-military. Apparently I'm not alone.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Policy on KIA bracelets stokes Marines’ fury</span>
By Greg Jaffe

Memorial bracelets have become a regular reminder that the country is at war. President Obama wears one. Most soldiers wear them.

So do a lot of Marines.

And that has turned into something of a problem.

The Marines have always been among the most persnickety when it comes to their uniforms and their appearance. Recently, the Marine Corps Times, which is not affiliated with the service, noticed that some commanders have been ordering Marines to remove their “KIA bracelets,” which are meant to honor fallen service members.

The reason: The Marine Corps Uniform Regulations specifically prohibits the wearing of most jewelry.

Enforcement of that regulation has been spotty, and Marine non-commissioned officers have tended to allow the bracelets. But the article by the Times – which found plenty of Marines who were told they couldn’t have them – has caused an outcry.

At Quantico last week, home to about 6,700 military personnel, including many who have just returned from deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan, Marines described their fury over the issue. Some noted that the bracelets are sometimes sold by the spouses of service members to pay for the costs of funerals and the needs of a mourning family.

“I came from a unit that lost a lot of men,” said Sgt. Darren Covington. “We wear the bracelets to remember our friends. It shouldn’t be against Marine Corps regulations to remember your buddies ... especially when some guys are walking around here with flashy gold watches.”

Under Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, jewelry is not permitted, with the exceptions of wedding rings, engagement rings, watches and chains, provided they can be tucked under T-shirts. In 1972, the Navy secretary also carved out a special exemption for POW/MIA bracelets.

The upshot, though, is that Marines technically aren’t allowed to wear the KIA bracelets, even if they are similar to the POW/MIA bracelets.

At Quantico, dubbed the “Crossroads of the Marine Corps,” the issue has hit a nerve among even those who don’t wear the jewelry.

“It's a huge insult,” said one master gunnery sergeant who declined to give his name. “These are our fallen brothers. This is how we show our respect.”

The Marine Corps Uniform Board is revisiting the issue, and the expectation is that Marines will soon be able to wear the bracelets without any concerns about straying from official policy.

“They are working the issue fairly aggressively,” said a Marine Corps official who was not authorized to discuss the issue on the record. “We expect a resolution possibly by the end of the year.”

Re: No more KIA bracelets for the Marines

KIA bracelets have no correlation to the money making schemes of some one-balled steroid junkie.

They're no less/more "military" looking than many of the watches and other types of jewelry so often worn. In my opinion, they're more military some approved jewelry. Many times I looked at my KIA bracelet and grabbed my balls when I was ready to quit something.

I no longer wear mine simply because it was wearing out and the metal was deteriorating. It now has a place next to my Cavalry Stetson.

My fiancée proved her worth by taking my two bracelets and having a custom leather wristband made with dogtags mounted containing the info on my teammates. Not a bad creative variation...

shot_1318916908902.jpg

It seems like an odd thing to be hard-lining.

In the current wars with their heavy use of explosive devices, the way that people often die is so grotesque that they should be a little more understanding of people and their emotional coping mechanisms.

If the wristband helps the soldier put memories away and carry on (and my opinion is it does), that should be understood to have value to the mission.

For that matter- some guys have St Michael pins or medals. They should be good to go- if it gives the guy courage it's helpful in my book.

Wow, never knew there was a distinction between the POW/MIA and KIA bracelets.

The former Gunnery Sergeant in me says that a MCO should be enforced. They all exist for a reason, and nobody short of CMC has the authority to change or ignore it. However....

The grunt and vet in me says they should stay the hell out of it and worry about bigger things. I always was better at being a grunt than a Gunny.

Some SNCOs and officers are still pissed there's no black polished boots to scrutinize, so they have to come up with something else to power trip on because they have no other leadership capabilities. I can only imagine the bracelet police going around looking to see what letters are on it. Get a life ass clowns, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with you shitheads anymore.

As for the appearance in uniform, yeah that envelope was pushed with the bling watches to my displeasure, but I had absolutely no problem with a POW/MIA/KIA bracelet in the traditional form. It's not like Marines are wearing them in uniform as a fashion statement, they truly have meaning behind them. Don't push it though.

I hope CMC/SECNAV realizes what's going on and modifies the order to include three more letters that hold a strong significance for so many. We don't take burying our brothers lightly, and suppressing the memories vs. working through them is not a good thing.

Reactions: MarinePMI

I never thought they looked Un-Military. Nor did our commanders. I would tell them to f**k off if that was the case. I'm very glad that the Marines decided it was a bad idea. I haven't taken mine off since April 2010, and I don't see myself taking it off. Ever.

I remember the watchband issue back in the early 80's. Somebody decided "eccentric" watchbands were prohibited, and that included the OD velcro ones we wore with the flap over the watch to keep the glass from shining and glaring. So we wore our big Seiko dive watches in a non tactical manner. I was a S/S for God's sake. I lived and breathed camoflage. They even made us take off the little compasses we had that slid onto the bands!
Chickenshit Officers. You would think after 10 years of war and deployments they would have some perspective. But there are always Pogues who come up with this nonsense.
Spitshined boots were a lot of work, but they were crisp in appearance.

I've seen some non military people wear them

we got this one guy (who's a friend of mine) wear one that was from a fatal gang related police shooting. he wears one that bears the sgt's name.

He isn't affaliated with the SO, the deputy, nothing like that.

I never bothered him about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Reyka

The fact that our respective service branches have uniform boards, and must convene with top officials to discuss matters and vote on changes, indicates that our priorities are beyond fucked.