• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Nomad ti vs Ultra 7

TxAg93

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2018
I've got a sandman S in jail right now and have begun tossing around the idea of picking up another can. This one would only ride on precision bolt guns in the direct thread configuration while hunting and shooting at the range. I know most people here would recommend the Ultra 7 for good reason, but with deadair bringing out the nomad ti they appear to be very similar on paper. For this one I'd probably lean towards the Ultra 7, but they seem to be much harder to find in stock and their online lead times show late this year. Deadair on the other hand seems to do pretty good at restocking most of their line up. Would I really be giving up that much going with the nomad ti POI shift, repeatability, or accuracy wise?

I went the opposite route... I bought a Nomad-LT the day they dropped, now I'm thinking about also ordering a Sandman-S to run just on my AR's since I have a 7.5" 5.56 in the mix... But I've been told the Nomad-30 can handle it, just time your shots and don't do a lot of mag dumps and get it hot, and it will be fine. So, I'm still torn between a Nomad-30 and Sandman-S...

I like both DA and TBAC, but one thing to consider, is the Nomad has the 1.375x24 threads, allowing it to be used in a direct thread, KeyMo, or any other suppressor mounting system that uses 1.375x24 threads, which is most of the modern ones, like SilencerCo and Q.

I went the opposite route... I bought a Nomad-LT the day they dropped, now I'm thinking about also ordering a Sandman-S to run just on my AR's since I have a 7.5" 5.56 in the mix... But I've been told the Nomad-30 can handle it, just time your shots and don't do a lot of mag dumps and get it hot, and it will be fine. So, I'm still torn between a Nomad-30 and Sandman-S...

I like both DA and TBAC, but one thing to consider, is the Nomad has the 1.375x24 threads, allowing it to be used in a direct thread, KeyMo, or any other suppressor mounting system that uses 1.375x24 threads, which is most of the modern ones, like SilencerCo and Q.
I have similar thoughts I just know the Ultra is at the top of the list for precision rifles, which is what this second can will be used for. I just don’t want to leave anything on the table if I went with the DA in regards to performance.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I have similar thoughts I just know the Ultra is at the top of the list for precision rifles, which is what this second can will be used for. I just don’t want to leave anything on the table if I went with the DA in regards to performance.
If you're going multiple 30 cal cans, one for AR's, one for precision rifles, get the Nomad-LT for precision and bolt-action/hunting rifles. Performance-wise the Nomad-LT will probably be quieter than an Ultra 7, and probably right there with a U9 or Dominus.

I really like TBAC cans, but honestly, the fact the Nomad line uses the 1.375x24 threads is a huge advantage over the TBAC. If the TBAC had the universal thread pitch, I would say run a TBAC with a DA KeyMo, and that would be awesome! But they like to use a proprietary thread pitch on their's.

Last edited:

@MudRunner2005
any experience shooting your Nomad LT at night? Wondering how much flash there is. I have heard TI can spark and that would be a deal breaker

@MudRunner2005
any experience shooting your Nomad LT at night? Wondering how much flash there is. I have heard TI can spark and that would be a deal breaker
I wish! Still waiting on my stamp. The Nomad-LT only dropped on 12/3 or 12/4/2020, so not a whole lot of folks out there with one yet, unless they personally have an FFL to transfer it to. I know Alabama Arsenal has their's already, but they haven't released a video of it yet. Should be soon...I hope. He uses the same FFL/SOT that I went through for mine. I'm hoping my stamps come back soon. I'm hoping I got them in line at ATF early enough to get in front of the recent bum-rush influx of paperwork for stamps.

I've decided that soon as I get stimulated here in a few days (hopefully), I'm going to order my Sandman-S.

I changed my decision yesterday after calling my FFL/SOT... He has Rex Silentium Mod-X .30 cal cans in stock, and a Sandman-S... So, I'm torn... I'm probably going with the Rex Mod-X can just because it's modular and you can go from L to S configuration with the same can. So only 1 tax stamp.

I ordered the Nomad LT and a few others. Will be allowed to use it at the FFL while the stamp is in process so will report back.
I’ll be curious to hear back, that can is very intriguing as well. Seems like it could be the quietest out of these few I’m looking at, just don’t know if it’s too long for what I’d want.

The 8.4 inch Nomad LT is shorter than some pistol cans. The Obsidian 45 is 8.6 inches long. I believe with the Griffin plan A mount, the Nomad LT gets a bit shorter.

I can give you my experience with a standard Nomad 30. I have it set up with the AREA 419 suppressor mount. Mine has been awesome on my bolt 6.5 creed moor. Groups definitely shrank slightly and it has been perfectly repeatable. No experience with a TBAC.

Reactions: K80/6.5
Dead Air makes a great suppressor. The Nomad Ti is a great lightweight solution and if you couple that with the KeyMo mount it gets even better. You can run it direct thread as well for weight considerations. From a modularity standpoint the Nomad is more versatile and available.

TBAC is top dog for a reason. Great sounding, lightweight cans that hold their value. Only downside is cost and availability.

Either way you won't be disappointed.

Which of the two brands has an endless amount of quality control complaints on forums and which of the two brands doesn't?
Since Dead Air moved facilities from BP Firearms to KG Made, I personally have not seen much in the form of issues or complaints posted here in the forums. So it comes down to features, cost and availability for me. Again, this is what I have seen.
My first two cans from DA manufactured at BP Firearms had to go back as they were not concentric, and one of them still isn't great, but usable. My third can, a Nomad Ti which is KGM was good.

Since Dead Air moved facilities from BP Firearms to KG Made, I personally have not seen much in the form of issues or complaints posted here in the forums. So it comes down to features, cost and availability for me.

That isn't what even the most cursory of searches suggests. Dead Air seams to have an unending amount of quality control issues and changing subs doesn't appear to have slowed it in the least. Here is a link that shows both BPI and KG problems, there's even links in there of someone having to send multiple KG cans back at the same time for the same problem.

That isn't what even the most cursory of searches suggests. Dead Air seams to have an unending amount of quality control issues and changing subs doesn't appear to have slowed it in the least. Here is a link that shows both BPI and KG problems, there's even links in there of someone having to send multiple KG cans back at the same time for the same problem.

So do you have any first hand experience that you can add or is this a pile on? The internet hates EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY.

My limited experience with Dead Air has been positive and with TBAC has been positive as well.

Reactions: FuhQ
So do you have any first hand experience that you can add or is this a pile on? The internet hates EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY.

My limited experience with Dead Air has been positive and with TBAC has been positive as well.

I've posted about it before and you're welcome to search for it if you like. I own both DA and TBAC silencers and the fact remains there are far far more complaints about DA's quality than any other major silencer brand in business.

I wonder if DeadAir would offer the LT bored for 9mm for pistol use. THAT would be interesting :)
I don't know... Call them and ask...

If that's what you want, then just get a Wolfman... It's rated for 5.56 and .300 BLK... They even offer their own KeyMo for it, that will use the KeyMount flash hider and KeyMicro brake (NOT compatible with the full-size 3-chamber KeyMount rifle brake...Too long).

Wolfman.jpeg

His second response pretty much answer it... Fanboy bias hit piece against Dead Air.

Every company has issues. Everything man made has room for error or failure. Savage rifles were shit until Vista took them over. Remington was once great, then plagued by issues once Freedom Poop took them over...Just like Freedom almost killed AAC, Dakota, Winchester, and Marlin, too... I hope now that Vista has purchased Remington, they turn them around and make them great again.

If you read the internet reviews, everyone and their brother and mother have a faulty Remington 700... Facts are, you rarely-to-never hear about the ones that function perfectly. You only hear the loud people bitching about the ones that have issues. The greatest tool ever invented and available to all of mankind (the internet), and it has become nothing more than a giant sounding board for people to bitch about Trump, other people they hate, faulty items, and things they don't like. 🤣

Reactions: Squatch1970
His second response pretty much answer it... Fanboy bias hit piece against Dead Air.

Every company has issues. Everything man made has room for error or failure. Savage rifles were shit until Vista took them over. Remington was once great, then plagued by issues once Freedom Poop took them over...Just like Freedom almost killed AAC, Dakota, Winchester, and Marlin, too... I hope now that Vista has purchased Remington, they turn them around and make them great again.

If you read the internet reviews, everyone and their brother and mother have a faulty Remington 700... Facts are, you rarely-to-never hear about the ones that function perfectly. You only hear the loud people bitching about the ones that have issues. The greatest tool ever invented and available to all of mankind (the internet), and it has become nothing more than a giant sounding board for people to bitch about Trump, other people they hate, faulty items, and things they don't like. 🤣

Please. I watched DA deliver a warped silencer, ignore repeated CS contacts to resolve, and then months later once it was actually "fixed" they return the incorrect serial number. Now, go ahead and tell me about the benefits of one sub over another. And for whatever it matters, I own cans from almost every major brand. This thread is about DA and TBAC of which TBAC isn't an ate up dumpster fire.

I've posted about it before and you're welcome to search for it if you like. I own both DA and TBAC silencers and the fact remains there are far far more complaints about DA's quality than any other major silencer brand in business.
No thanks, I'm not emotionally invested either way. You just never mentioned personal experience.

Well I happened to get my stamp in today for the sandman S. Picked it up over lunch and everything seems tight on it. I don’t have any bore rods but when looking down the chamber there’s no evident mis alignment on either of the two rifles I tried it on. I’m hopeful everything will be good with it. It did however confirm my original thoughts that I will want to pick up a lighter one. Guess I’ll keep thinking about it and wait for a stock notification to pop on one of these I’m considering.

I have a nomad 30 the non ti version and a tbac 6.5 ultra 9. I run both cans with 419 adapters and I’ve been happy with both. I get very reliable and repeatable accuracy. Both cans have some poi shift but so far I’ve been very pleased. I’ve used both cans on my precision guns a 6.5cm and 25x47lapua. I do like that the nomad has no barrel length restrictions so it rides on an ar pistol a lot of the time.

Well I happened to get my stamp in today for the sandman S. Picked it up over lunch and everything seems tight on it. I don’t have any bore rods but when looking down the chamber there’s no evident mis alignment on either of the two rifles I tried it on. I’m hopeful everything will be good with it. It did however confirm my original thoughts that I will want to pick up a lighter one. Guess I’ll keep thinking about it and wait for a stock notification to pop on one of these I’m considering.
I ended up going the opposite route... My first was the Nomad-LT back in December when the day they released. Then after researching, I found out it wouldn't handle the 7.5" 5.56 pistol, or mag dumps without detrimental effects... So I ended up buying a Sandman-S on 3/17 as a dedicated can for my AR's, and will use my Nomad-LT on my hunting rifles and precision bolt-actions and 16+" barreled rifles.

Please. I watched DA deliver a warped silencer, ignore repeated CS contacts to resolve, and then months later once it was actually "fixed" they return the incorrect serial number. Now, go ahead and tell me about the benefits of one sub over another. And for whatever it matters, I own cans from almost every major brand. This thread is about DA and TBAC of which TBAC isn't an ate up dumpster fire.

I'm Todd Magee from Dead Air. I'll address some of these claims directly.

First off, we probably ship around 10X more suppressors than TBAC. We respect and love those guys to death and I'm not going to make this about them at all. We probably have twice as many suppressors in our catalog and a hundred more accessories than TBAC. That's over a hundred times the likelihood that you can find something to hang your hat on and speak negatively about. We've moved facilities and also ramped up to meet demand at a new facility, and yes, we've had some hiccups along the way. What you fail to recognize (like most of the internet that looks for confirmation bias), is that when a company ships A LOT of product, the quality issues become very visible. If we were back around TBAC production levels, I bet you wouldn't be throwing down terms like 'dumpster fire'.

We take pride in fixing any issue and taking care of those customers that may see an issue. Right now, our quality is actually really high. I would dare say as a percent shipped, we're now outperforming other companies quite easily. The BPI/Bergara days got pretty painful in 2019, and the 2020 startup with KGM was also painful. Especially with the added issues of the market explosion. It's good to recognize that for every one person that shows up with a customer service complaint here (that for some reason doesn't bother to call us first to remedy the situation), there's about 10,000 other customers that perfectly happy.

Pointing out one instance where we had a really bad customer service issue is not representative of what we do. The customer comes first for us and we'll fix it if there's an issue. Always.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

I wonder if DeadAir would offer the LT bored for 9mm for pistol use. THAT would be interesting :)
Naaaahhh... That won't happen. We already have the Wolfman and it's astoundingly good with 9mm. The only issue is that it's limited on the high pressure rifle cartridge front.

A true do-all can will always end up with some annoying limitations. In this case, people would expect the Nomad to also be usable on .338 LM or something. Then it would have to be super heavy and it would become horrible on pistol and would have a lot of fine print on barrel lengths. Stick with the Wolfman. It's a crazy good do-all can because it works well on pistol all the way up to light duty rifle cartridges.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

I've got a sandman S in jail right now and have begun tossing around the idea of picking up another can. This one would only ride on precision bolt guns in the direct thread configuration while hunting and shooting at the range. I know most people here would recommend the Ultra 7 for good reason, but with deadair bringing out the nomad ti they appear to be very similar on paper. For this one I'd probably lean towards the Ultra 7, but they seem to be much harder to find in stock and their online lead times show late this year. Deadair on the other hand seems to do pretty good at restocking most of their line up. Would I really be giving up that much going with the nomad ti POI shift, repeatability, or accuracy wise?
To the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both offer exceptional accuracy (POI shift) and precision (repeatability). I recommend using our Xeno adapter and mounts with the Nomad for that perfect repeatability you're looking for.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

Reactions: Squatch1970
I'm Todd Magee from Dead Air. I'll address some of these claims directly.

First off, we probably ship around 10X more suppressors than TBAC. We respect and love those guys to death and I'm not going to make this about them at all. We probably have twice as many suppressors in our catalog and a hundred more accessories than TBAC. That's over a hundred times the likelihood that you can find something to hang your hat on and speak negatively about. We've moved facilities and also ramped up to meet demand at a new facility, and yes, we've had some hiccups along the way. What you fail to recognize (like most of the internet that looks for confirmation bias), is that when a company ships A LOT of product, the quality issues become very visible. If we were back around TBAC production levels, I bet you wouldn't be throwing down terms like 'dumpster fire'.

We take pride in fixing any issue and taking care of those customers that may see an issue. Right now, our quality is actually really high. I would dare say as a percent shipped, we're now outperforming other companies quite easily. The BPI/Bergara days got pretty painful in 2019, and the 2020 startup with KGM was also painful. Especially with the added issues of the market explosion. It's good to recognize that for every one person that shows up with a customer service complaint here (that for some reason doesn't bother to call us first to remedy the situation), there's about 10,000 other customers that perfectly happy.

Pointing out one instance where we had a really bad customer service issue is not representative of what we do. The customer comes first for us and we'll fix it if there's an issue. Always.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

For better or worse, I think you single handedly keep DA's reputation positive. While I respect what you do I disagree with your perspective. I was around when other companies went through what you are now. This has the same feel. I stand by my posts and feel that I have substantiated my opinion. Times change and maybe things will be different in the future but Dead Air is on my 'do not buy from' list.

Last edited:
For better or worse, I think you single handedly keep DA's reputation positive. While I respect what you do I disagree with your perspective. I was around when other companies went through what you are now. This has the same feel. I stand by my posts and feel that I have substantiated my opinion. Times change and maybe things will be different in the future but Dead Air is on my 'do not buy from' list.
You are missing out. I have a Nomad 30, Nomad L and a Wolfman; I’ve never had an issue with any of them. I also have a TBAC Dominus that is awesome. Can’t go wrong with either company.

Hey Magee
thanks for replying
I’m willing to pay for a short fat titanium 9mm can that’s rated for supersonic 300bo
If the yhm nitro N20 was I would have bought it
Wolfman Ti? $1099?

Last edited:
Hey Magee
thanks for replying
I’m willing to pay for a short fat titanium 9mm can that’s rated for supersonic 300bo
If the yhm nitro N20 was I would have bought it
Wolfman Ti? $1099?
If you're wanting a 9mm pistol can that can do supersonic .300 BLK, then the Wolfman with the KeyMicro Brake would be your best bet. I'm not aware of any pistol cans (especially titanium ones) that will handle supersonic rifle cartridges.

I don't think they'll do a one-off suppressor for you. Now, I guess if you were willing to pay enough for R&D and an entire order of them, you might convince them. You might call them up and talk to Mike Pappas himself and see if that would be something they would be interested in doing... I mean, I like the idea, and think that a Wolfman-Ti would be a cool suppressor. Especially if it was a .45 can, that way you would have the ultimate in versatility and function.

Hey Todd @Mageever , what do yall think about a Wolfman-Ti 45? It would be light and still able to handle all rifle cartridges 16" or longer, even up to .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .460 S&W, .350 Legend, .450 Bushy, .458 SOCOM, .45-70 Govt... Etc...Etc...Et...

I have one DA can, an older Mask HD and I absolutely love it. Years of use, thousands of rounds of 22 and 17HMR and it's never missed a beat. A few of my buddies have some of their newer production cans and they have nothing but love for them as well. The whole tell one versus tell ten kind of vibe is going on in here lol.

Reactions: FuhQ
If you're wanting a 9mm pistol can that can do supersonic .300 BLK, then the Wolfman with the KeyMicro Brake would be your best bet. I'm not aware of any pistol cans (especially titanium ones) that will handle supersonic rifle cartridges.

Well, there is the Liberty Mystic X. It's not all Ti (the outer tube is, but the core is stainless). It handles an impressive variety of rifle rounds and is pretty quiet on a 9mm pistol. Downside is that it's fairly long for a pistol can. I have one and while I'd say it's not necessarily the best at anything, it's a pretty decent "do it all" suppressor that covers a lot of applications.

And Liberty is a good bunch of people to work with, which I found out after a friend shot a full mag of 9mm through mine without tightening the suppressor on the barrel, resulting in baffle strikes.

The Griffin Optimus is another of those universal cans that handles 9mm and a bunch of supersonic rifle rounds, although I don't have any personal experience with them.

I always forget about Liberty in Georgia, because nobody really carries them anymore. But I’ve always heard they’re great cans, and a good company.

It wouldn’t be lightweight, but the OP could always get the Rex Silentium Mod-X .358... Awesome cans, but about $300 more expensive than the Wolfman... And heavier.

Here is another option...That will do 9mm up to supersonic .308 Winchester and .350 Legend.

It weighs 10oz. Is made of Titanium. And fits your description of what you want. Although it will not do anything larger than the .308 Winchester supersonic, it still seems to fit your needs for the most part...

Alabama Arsenal just dropped a video on it like an hour ago...

Here is another option...That will do 9mm up to supersonic .308 Winchester and .350 Legend.

It weighs 10oz. Is made of Titanium. And fits your description of what you want. Although it will not do anything larger than the .308 Winchester supersonic, it still seems to fit your needs for the most part...

Alabama Arsenal just dropped a video on it like an hour ago...

Yes, I considered that but the min barrel length for 300BO is 16in. I want to use it on 8 to 9.5 inch

Yes, I considered that but the min barrel length for 300BO is 16in. I want to use it on 8 to 9.5 inch
Well... I don't know what to tell you, other than maybe get a Rex Silentium Mod-X .358 bore... Full-auto rated, no barrel length restrictions, but it's all 17-4PH stainless, so it damn-sure ain't gonna be lightweight like a Ti can... But, it's a modular rifle can that you can order in the bore size you're wanting, and can handle literally everything you can throw at it.

I have and use a Gemtech Outback for 22LR stuff, both pistol and rifle.
I have and use a TBAC Ultra 7 for a couple of 5.56 AR's and a bolt .223Ackley Improved.
I have and use a TBAC Ultra 9 for a couple of 300WINMAGS, a 30 Nosler and a 300RUM.
I have fired friends suppressors of other manufacture on all of the above as well as their firearms.
One of my friends sold his 30 cal suppressor, manufacturer will remain unsaid, and bought the Ultra 9 after using mine back-to-back.
I will say that TBAC will leave you wanting nothing.

Last edited:
Am I?

You do realize when that is the case, it is most-likely a barrel threading/shoulder issue...And not necessarily a suppressor issue... AK's have that problem all the time, because the shitty barrels were not threaded bore-centric, like most quality American AR barrels. If the barrel in your AR is off like that, it's probably a $100 barrel someone bought from Cheaper Than Dirt or some chinese importer of cheap shitty AR parts made with little-to-no QA/QC.