• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Not Sure Which One To Get

RG4 - PNW - Mr. Sharp

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2019
Hello,
Not sure which one I should get for long range hunting with my 300 winMag

1. Leupold - Mark 5HD 7-32x56 MOA
2. Vortex - Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 FFP
3. Nightforce - NXS 8-32x56
4. Nightforce - ATACR 7-35 F1
5. Other Options?

Thank You

I wish I could or maybe save longer
Hello,
Not sure which one I should get for long range hunting with my 300 winMag

There is a lot to unpack their.
Do you like First or second focal plane? are you planning on using the turrets to dial your shots in? How far is long range hunting to you?
It may help us narrow down the options that would be best for you.

Reactions: mjh30 and Alabusa
I have an NXS 8-32x56 on a 300wm and it has taken Elk at a decent range with ease. When they are running fast and I need field of view, for a leading shot, I prefer my 300wm with the NXS 5-22x56. You can’t go wrong with either or the AMG or ATACR. Really depends if you want to run FFP or 2nd. Don’t go with a heavy scope over a lighter weight just for a couple more x’s of power. Every ounce counts, especially if you are using a light rifle. I have 300wm’s from 7pds to 13pds for hunting. Cant will make you miss.

The new XTR3 will be on the market here pretty quick. The 5.5-30x56 has a huge field of view, forgiving eyebox, locking diopter, and capped windage(optional). If you are looking at the NX8 and MK5HD, the Burris will be in the hunt at a pocketbook friendly <$1800

Personally, I'm going to drop the much smaller, lighter 3.3-18 on my 300 Norma mag. At 13" and 28ozs it's a little better suited to the task. In all honesty I wouldnt go with any of your original choices. Nearly all of those are more magnification, length, and weight than what you need.

Last time I was shooting at the mile plate at my range I was on 16x. So 18x scares me not at all.

Im running a nx8 4-32 on a do all rig and i like it. Its not in the same class as my 7-35 ATACR but it is still a really solid piece with great features. One of the biggest selling points to me was weight and size. Yes there are some tradeoffs but i feel like its important to look at the whole picture an understand its a 8x,$2k, compactish scope that doesnt way a ton and is full awesome features.

I even switched to the 7-35 on the same gun and decided to swap back its just perfect for the "do-all" kinda work you looking to do with it.

I did not see that the OP listed what their definition of long range is.

In any event of the ones specifically listed the AMG seems like the best option. Please note I have only looked through them and the reason I say that is the low-end magnification is 6. I know you list wanting to do long range hunting, but mother nature is not always so predictable. Having a wider field of view is a good thing when you say pop over a rise and there they are. It has happened to me twice elk hunting.

I have a Mark5 5x25 on my .300WM and I like it just fine. I did question the 5x low end as being a bit much before purchase, but now that I have it, I can live with it. It’s the reason I did not go the Mark5 7x35 option.

One thing to note I was shooting 900yd steel (with success) last weekend for the first time. Due to the 105 temp’s mirage was an issue and I ended up shooting around 18x or so. So 25x is nice to have but not needed, at least at the 900yd ranges we were shooting at.

HTH