• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

NRL 22lr scope?

Ideally, a FFP scope using mil based adjustments with a magnification range of 5-25 power and a Christmas tree style reticle and a side parallax adjustmentthat that goes as low as 25yds. That description will cover 99% of your needs and scenarios.

A 20-30 MOA canted rail would be adequate for most setups. But technically may not even be needed if your optic has tons of internal adjustment. If you have 7 mils of useable travel....you will be covered to 200yds on most setups. So double that amount in stated total internal travel would be ideal. The rail shouldn't exceed 45% of your chosen scope's total internal travel spec.

Most NRL22 matches have bonus stages that exceed the typical 100yds and in general format. So just plan to shoot whatever the max range your match location can support.

Reactions: 6.5SH and Big Phish
Ideally, a FFP scope using mil based adjustments with a magnification range of 5-25 power and a Christmas tree style reticle and a side parallax adjustmentthat that goes as low as 25yds. That description will cover 99% of your needs and scenarios.

A 20-30 MOA canted rail would be adequate for most setups. But technically may not even be needed if your optic has tons of internal adjustment. If you have 7 mils of useable travel....you will be covered to 200yds on most setups. So double that amount in stated total internal travel would be ideal. The rail shouldn't exceed 45% of your chosen scope's total internal travel spec.

Most NRL22 matches have bonus stages that exceed the typical 100yds and in general format. So just plan to shoot whatever the max range your match location can support.
Is NRL 22 capped at 100 yds for most stages?

Before you buy anything you should go early to attend and watch a ongoing match and asks to look through any scope. We have never said no to any new shooters wanting to glean some information to get started. You will cut down your lists of questions and get your answers by not purchasing something beforehand that you found out you don't like it afterwards. Heck we have a couple loaners on hand if you want to try it on our matches. Good luck and have fun! That you will!! BTW we do periodically have bonus stages set up to 300 yds.

Reactions: Nathan11B
Is NRL 22 capped at 100 yds for most stages?

Here's a typical Stage description you will encounter.
Screenshot_20240627_061705_Facebook.jpg

You start at the top and read your way down. It tells you the shooter everything you are to encounter and do in terms of targets, time, round count, barricades (here there is none), general target layout, target distance(s), and most importantly the stage description and any modifications for older less physically capable individuals. Some stages even state limitations on specific pieces of gear at times.

The vast majority shoot the "Option 1" layout.....since it's the easiest to accommodate location-wise and most people will practice it beforehand unless informed by their Match Director in advance I have found. The "Option 2" layout is shot the same typically.....they just slightly alter the distances and enlarge the target plates to coincide with that. Make no mistake the Option 2 layout sometimes adds a good deal of difficulty in some instances when you factor in longer time of flight, in stage movement, and windy conditions.

Many competitors choose to look at and practice the Course of Fire in advance of game day to work out any potential issues or find any potential efficiencies they can gleen in the stages. Sometimes using a specific bag or ditching a piece of extra equipment altogether makes a huge difference. You may find with your body type, the way everyone else shoots a particular part of the stage just won't physically work for you. You will kneel or go prone when everyone else is sitting for example. Some shooters prefer to shoot the stages "blind" and simply take the COF as it comes....its totally up to you in that regard.

The main to know also, when your on the clock shooting the stage (as an adult)....you're on your own to know and understand what you are supposed to be doing as well as maintain proper safety and firing protocols. A youth can ask for guidance while on the stage. But adults can only get help/guidance before or after the stage run.

The NRL posts ALL monthly courses of fire in advance on their website and plenty of youtubers post videos performing them.

If you haven't, go to the NRL22.com website and actually read the rules. You do not want to be at a disadvantage because you do not know how the game is played or how you can better game the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slides
To just try it out, anything with > 10x magnification and exposed turrets. Highly recommend first focal plane as well. Athlon and Arken and Vortex are popular first time options.

*edit* parallax needs to go down to 25 yards on your scope
SWFA SS scopes come in 10X, 12X, 16X and 20X great scopes for $299.00. I have Vortex Strike Eagle 5 X 25 on my 22LR with 20 moa rail and Burris XTR Signature rings with 30moa in the inserts. Zero at 50 yds and can dial to 500yds. Arken has there scopes on sale. https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/ I have a EP-5 5-25 X 56 FFP I like it close to the Strike Eagle.

A lot of good comments so far. I was a long time iron sight shooter and when I started down the precision 22 path about 5 years ago, the options were mind boggling and have gotten even more so.
Dfoosking summed up the requirements well. For budget as Rob01 said means something different to everyone. Suitable scopes can cost anywhere from around $350 to $3500 and more. My first was an athlon for around $300 ( they certainly have gone up in price) and right now for something not too costly I am happy with my vortex strike eagle which with military discount can be found for under $600.

I think a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x EBR-7C MRAD is the unchallenged budget scope for NRL22. I used to say the Arken EP5 5-25x VPR MRAD was the other good option (it arguably has slightly better glass than the Strike Eagle), but then I realized it has 0.5 mil hashes on the windage stadia which really isn't sufficient for shooting 22LR in wind. The Arken reticle will hold you back longer than the Vortex option.

Eventually, you'll find that both scopes limit your ability to resolve downrange information (impact locations, fine details of targets, detail in shaded areas, etc.), but you can choose what to jump to at that point. The SE is a great starter scope while you develop the basics of the game, which take longer than you might think unless you get really focused instruction and practice with intention.

Reactions: Big Phish