• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes NX8 1-8 Dissapointing?

staticTango

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I have an ATACR 1-8 and really like it (really like the new Fc-Dmx reticle). I’m wanting to outfit another 16” AR and really want another one .., but don’t want pay ATACR money though.

I really only use it on 8 power to be honest. How disappointed will I be with the NX8? I’ve read the eye box is horrible, 1 power is horrible ect ect ect

Tagged for interest. I’ve read the same comments- been tempted to upgrade my current LPVO to an ATACR but haven’t waned to really spend that $$ on glass I use a few times a year in class

I have an ATACR 1-8 and really like it (really like the new Fc-Dmx reticle). I’m wanting to outfit another 16” AR and really want another one .., but don’t want pay ATACR money though.

I really only use it on 8 power to be honest. How disappointed will I be with the NX8? I’ve read the eye box is horrible, 1 power is horrible ect ect ect

If you really only plan to use it on max magnification maybe look at something different like the poster above me suggested. I have a Leupold Mk5 2-10x30 for sale in the exchange if that's a path you decide to look at.

how do you like the mk5 2-10? I was strongly considering it, but don’t like the reticle offerings. I don’t understand why they don’t have a reticle similar to the NF offering
I’d have to agree with you on the reticle choices but I like the TMR for its simplicity and the fact that it’s still pretty easily useable at 2x. It’s also an easy scope to get behind at all magnification so that helps too

Reactions: simonp
I’d have to agree with you on the reticle choices but I like the TMR for its simplicity and the fact that it’s still pretty easily useable at 2x. It’s also an easy scope to get behind at all magnification so that helps too

I really like the MK5 3.6-18, been thinking of trying out the 2-10 as a replacement for the 1-8

I have been happy with my NX8 1-8 with the dmx reticle. I run it on a 16" gun with an RMR on top for backup and use with NVGs.

The glass doesn't compete with an ATACR, but it isn't supposed too. It is also much lighter.

I owned several of the NX81-8 with the older reticle. They were fine but fish bowled badley if you dialed the turrets to extremes. This also happens with their 2.5-20 line IMO.

It works well behind clip ons. I tape the diopeter down in the rear once it is set.

Honestly I think they are solid. 1x gives me a dot that's more than adequate and 8x is a tight eye box, yes, but it is no different than any other LPVO or most scopes in that mod tier that gets pushed to their Max zoom range.

I was disappointed in my NX-8 because of the glass clarity.
Compared to my 1-8 Trijicon Credo, the glass was better in the Trijicon.
The trijicon could do better with the radical as well, but in an LPVO you spend a lot of time looking through those lenses and clarity is paramount to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HD1911 and hseII
Great thread guys. I am in the market to update an older Trijicon 1-8 Accupower. Like everything about it but the thick cross when out at distance.

Was strongly considering a NX8.

Is there anything else in this $1200-$2k range to look at?
-New Credo 1-10, wish it had locking or capped turrets.
-Vudu 1-10 not sure of durability.

Any more thoughts on optics in this range?

Great thread guys. I am in the market to update an older Trijicon 1-8 Accupower. Like everything about it but the thick cross when out at distance.

Was strongly considering a NX8.

Is there anything else in this $1200-$2k range to look at?
-New Credo 1-10, wish it had locking or capped turrets.
-Vudu 1-10 not sure of durability.

Any more thoughts on optics in this range?
It seems like most scopes that try to do 1-10 have to make some kind of compromise that you may or may not be ok with. Be it a 1x that isn't particularly useful or an extremely tight eyebox at 10x. I think March might be one of the few that has done a good job on the 1-10 but they cost quite a bit more. Just my .02

Reactions: rothgyr
The NX8 1-8 is a phenomenal scope for certain applications and will leave you wanting in others.

Pros:
Ultra light
Robust
Great reticles for hunting
Has a great feel to the controls

Cons:
Poor dawn/dusk light gathering
Original reticle is too large to be a fun target gun
Non-locking elevation w/ .2mil clicks (you can get capped elevation now)
Eye box is tight, especially at 8x

For lightweight hunting gun, it’s a good optic. For an AR it might be good too. But it’s compromises speak loudly and I think most people, especially in todays scope market, will be disappointed with it.

Reactions: Bakwa and hseII
Personally, I don't find the eye box bad. I was expecting much worse based on all the comments. You don't buy it for the glass quality. You buy it for the illumination, durability, and size/weight.

It's not made for bird watching. It's great for a carbine where size/weight matters and you want to run the optic fast and sloppy.

My biggest complaint... I can't get the scope focused on 1x and 8x at the same time. If I could address that, it would be a near ideal carbine optic. I think that's a me problem though... I only have the problem when I'm two eyes open, I probably need to "train" myself to be more right eye dominant.

You should consider the primary arms PLX-C. The reviews for the vudu 1-10 all say its one of the best LPVOs for max mag, but it's a not great at 1x.

If you aren't going to use 1x, just skip the LPVOs and get a mark4 HD 2.5-10 or a NXS 2.5-10x42. They will offer much better performance at 10x and they are lighter than most high erector LPVOs.

0% chance I'd go with a 24oz+ LPVO.

Personally, I don't find the eye box bad. I was expecting much worse based on all the comments. You don't buy it for the glass quality. You buy it for the illumination, durability, and size/weight.

It's not made for bird watching. It's great for a carbine where size/weight matters and you want to run the optic fast and sloppy.

My biggest complaint... I can't get the scope focused on 1x and 8x at the same time. If I could address that, it would be a near ideal carbine optic. I think that's a me problem though... I only have the problem when I'm two eyes open, I probably need to "train" myself to be more right eye dominant.

You should consider the primary arms PLX-C. The reviews for the vudu 1-10 all say its one of the best LPVOs for max mag, but it's a not great at 1x.

If you aren't going to use 1x, just skip the LPVOs and get a mark4 HD 2.5-10 or a NXS 2.5-10x42. They will offer much better performance at 10x and they are lighter than most high erector LPVOs.

0% chance I'd go with a 24oz+ LPVO.
Couldn't agree more. A Mk5 3.6-18 plus a top dot is a powerful combo. And the Mk5 is 26oz.

I have 2 x ATACR 1-8x DMX and 1 x NX8 1-8x DMX and if I was buying today, I'd get another NX8. Main difference is the ATACR has wider exit pupil and I was worried about that, but the results on the critters indicate its not a problem in my world.

Have ATACRs on DMRishes, Mk11 ish and Mk12 ish ...
And the NX8 on micro DMR ish ... mk18ish ...

53815384842_5b4785719b_k.jpg

53816073585_d2fd339fdb_k.jpg

Other differences are the NX8 is smaller/lighter and about $1k less.

I have both. The ATACR is definitely nice, with about a 50% wider eyebox at 1x and a little less edge to edge distortion. At 8x, the eyebox is almost the same. I don't find either of them uncomfortable to get behind (I think the whole eyebox thing is a bit of a silly Guntuber stat), but I guess that's going to be very subjective. Anyway, the NX8 is still awesome and I'm really happy with it. I like that it's lighter and smaller, and I prefer the magnification ring (personal preference). Whether I prefer the ATACR or the NX8 depends on the build. They're both solid choices.

For DMR work, the PLX 1-8 is honestly a better performer. You just have to love the PA reticles.
The OG NX8 reticle is actually decent if you aren't trying for precision work. Otherwise the DMX-FC is a king of a reticle.
The NX8 is OK optically. I have one [with the OG reticle at that] because it's robust, has a bright illuminated reticle, and is easy enough to get behind for running around. If I had the money, I'd replace it with a AMG or an ATACR too, but I can't put alpha glass of all of my rifles.
At the end of the day, I just plain trust the NX8 1-8.

Reactions: hseII and HD1911
Depending on what you compare the NX8 1-8 to, it's either amazing, or pretty meh. I picked one up from the B/S/T to replace a strike eagle 1-8. It's amazing compared to a strike eagle, and it should be. The eye box issues seem over exaggerated to me personally. People expecting red dot eye box forgiveness on an LPVO. It's tighter than some scopes but it's hardly un-useable.

Compare this scope to others in the same price bracket and similar use case, it starts falling a little short. I can only compare it to a Credo 2-10, and oz for oz, I think the 2-10 is a better scope all around if weight and thermal clip on isn't a concern.

1X is pretty awesome, it does seem almost to act as a red dot in that respect. There's some fisheye going on that you see if you're static and inspecting the scope, but under movement and use it's not noticeable.

8x the aiming center dot is too large, need to reduce the size about 25-30%

It is a really good match for my TC35 rattler as well.

Reactions: Bakwa and hseII