• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

OAL for 9mm 125gr Sierra JHP.... Help me out?

jasonstoj

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Newcastle, AUSTRALIA
i have a question for you guys if you dont mind helping me out...

im just setting up my dies on the realoader for 9mm...

im using 125gr Sierra JHP's and my question is.... what should my OAL be? im getting a lot of conflicting data from what im reading and i thought it best to ask someone who's done it!

keep in mind i dont have my P226 yet so i cant check to see what cycles properly i just wanna set the dies up so im ready to roll when i get it!!
smile.gif

Thanks guys!

Re: OAL for 9mm 125gr Sierra JHP.... Help me out?

I can't speak directly to the Sig and what it likes, but for various 9mm loads, I normally try and seat close to max SAMMI length, as I find they feed more reliably (Glocks and a 9mm carbine) that way.

I have never seen any appreciable change in velocity or noticed any pressure signs when I played with seating depths, so I load everything long, and if feeds fine. But I have had feeding issues with factory JHP's that are loaded "short", as the manuals seem to recommend.

It's probably really a feed ramp geometry issue, not a case/psi issue. So make up a few dummy rounds and see if length makes any difference. An added benefit of close to SAMMI lenght is they won't shift around in the mag.