• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Odd Winchester Post '64 Model 70... Possibly Custom Shop?

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I have a Winchester Model 70 I bought on an auction site several years ago. I was told by the seller that it was once an FBI Sniper Rifle from somewhere in the Northeast. It's a 30-06 with a Heavy Barrel and Parkerized looking finish with a recessed crown. It has a Redfield 3-9 "TV Lens" Accu-range scope and the elevation turret is exposed. When I got it I shot it once and it made a 3/4 MOA group with Ammo I plucked out of an old Garand Clip (definitely not match grade ammo). I looked around online back then but I never really figured out what I had. Yesterday I did a deep-dive and discovered it has "some" of the features of an Ultra-Match but not all of them
win 70.jpg
win 70 ser num.jpg
win 70 other side.jpg
. Everything on the rifle is original as far as the rifle itself. The scope and mount, who knows. The bore is almost like new. It is clip-slotted but there are no external adjustment screws for the trigger and it appears to have never had different sights on it. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
win 70 muzzle.jpg
win 70 no screws.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a box stock post 64 M-70 Target. The barrel mounted scope bases and front sight base are missing. Rear receiver bridge is clip slotted.
With all due respect. This rifle has two features my research says is not found on a "Box stock post 64 M-70 target". The muzzle has the deep counter-bore and the action is glass-bedded. I had ruled out "Standard Target Model" because of these features. I also owned a post 64 model 70 target model years ago and I remember the finish being shiny blued. Admittedly, I knew little about rifles back then so the finish may not have been original.

Last edited:
That scope looks like a Redfield Accu-trac. I bought one around 1980 and had it on my Ruger M77 7mag for over 20 years. I sold it ,but as is often the case, wish I still had it. Does it have two horizontal lines in the reticle used for bracketing an animal and a moving yardage post that is controlled by moving the power ring?

Last edited:
That scope looks like a Redfield Accu-trac. I bought one around 1980 and had it on my Ruger M77 7mag for over 20 years. I sold it ,but as is often the case, wish I still had it. Does it have two horizontal lines in the reticle used for bracketing an animal and a moving yardage post that is controlled by moving the power ring?

Yes, that's exactly the scope.

Reactions: KYAggie
Yes, that's exactly the scope.

Cool find! Did it come with different elevation drums? If I remember right, there were at least three marked A, B, and C for different drops. It was the best thing on the market at the time. I was 13 when I bought it and didn’t have a long range to test it, so I’m not sure how well it worked or how repeatable it was, but I didn’t have any trouble with hitting West Texas whitetails out to 400 yardsish with it. I wish I still had it, it would be fun to test it.

Cool find! Did it come with different elevation drums? If I remember right, there were at least three marked A, B, and C for different drops. It was the best thing on the market at the time. I was 13 when I bought it and didn’t have a long range to test it, so I’m not sure how well it worked or how repeatable it was, but I didn’t have any trouble with hitting West Texas whitetails out to 400 yardsish with it. I wish I still had it, it would be fun to test it.
No, it came on the rifle. I read up on how to use that reticle back when I first got the rifle but then COVID hit and it has mostly hung on the wall in my office at work. As I said earlier, all I had in 30-06 ammo when I got it was in bandoliers in Garand clips so I plucked a few rounds from a clip and shot them. It shot very well given the unknown ammo.

Reactions: KYAggie