Officially a lifelong supporter of Seekins Precision

mikeyvizzle

JOHN 3:16
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I'm a bit of a tinkerer and I have full belief that your equipment needs to be as perfect as you can possibly get it because us mortals will introduce more error into our execution than even environmentals sometimes. Give me a precision rifle guaranteed to produce 1/2 MOA and I will turn that thing into 00 buck downrange.

So I was giving my Seekins Precision rings an upgrade with an X cap. I really wanted to attach the adjustable bubble level they make for the platform because my Warne level built for the tube mount was just so dang finicky. And I was losing my patience because every time I wanted to fix my level it meant removing my pic rail attached E-dope mount in order to access the bottom fed screws.

Then I thought it was a good idea to spread my ring distance further so that way it sat as close to midway through the turret housing and the ocular side tube and the objective end tube. When it came down to torquing the base rings to the rail, I got some resistance. So, I backed it out, turned it a few more times counter clockwise - because that's obviously how you properly index the threads, and tried again. Same dang speed bump. So before I grew to be insane, I decided it had to just be resistance from the old gunked up loctite. So I sent it. What. An. Idiot.

I'm turning this screw, and I get to the point where I need to apply some decent torque and yet it wasn't anywhere close to the depth the other screw was at. So I dialed it back to find the screw to be a bit mangled - we all know what it looks like.

I submit a technical support form and I distinctly included how embarrassed I was that I somehow stripped screws like an absolute noob. Almost instantly, I got an email response from Justin. He asked a few questions for diagnostic purposes. Then he inquired about which ring set I owned. It's been so long, that I couldn't recall and I wasn't in the position to sift through years of online purchases. I asked if he could determine which ones I owned, if I measured the ring height. And while I was using my calipers to measure my ring height, I got a phone call from Indiana. It was Justin. He asked me which scope I owned and its objective lens dimensions, and I told him the height I found for my scope height. Instantly he responded, "High. I'm sending you a new set of rings." I just registered for my first regional PRS match for September 8th in Pennsylvania - the relief I felt.

I am a full blown idiot. But when it comes to the spatial aspect of shooting, I'd like to think I'm pretty conservative and meticulous. I was so embarrassed I made this error and to have a company with that amount of care to get you right even when it was your doing was amazing. I will only ever buy rings from Seekins and they have just cemented a lifelong supporter of their products. Thank you, Justin. And thank you Seekins Precision.