• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

OK a little Baileys Tonight but......400 yards

hifly78

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Ontario, Canada
what would be some good 400 yard shooting be like. Golf Tourney tomorrow (cottage yearly) but plan on shooting Sunday. I have a 24 x 24" target.

Working on trigger control and breathing in prone. What is reasonable.

Not into groups shooting but distance from bulls eye impact important with standard high velocity ammo.

Any thoughts

Thanks Mark

Re: OK a little Baileys Tonight but......400 yards

If you have enough elevation in the scope, you should be able to get on paper. About 83.5 MOA (24.3 Mils) of drop and 13.7 MOA (4.0 Mils) of windage with 10 mph winds. 24 inches is about 5.7 MOA at that distance. I think that is doable, once you get on paper.

You might want to make sure that you can see the bullet splash around the target when you are finding your zero. That is going to take a couple of shots. I will be interested to hear the results.

My brother, dad, and myself were recently dinging at 375 yards on 15x25" steel with the heavy barreled 10/22 and wallyworld bulk Federal ammo.

We were not even prone, but sitting with a 25" Harris bipod.

Wind was slight, 3-5 mph full value, but it really drifts those bullets at 375 yds.

El correction was about 60 moa. Hits werre fairly consistent after we got the elevation dialed in, most of the misses were from wind drift.

375 yards
Yellow - 22LR
green - 308 Win
red - 44Mag revolver
2009-07-0712-33-13.jpg

I had to crank out a magazine full rapid-fire to get a dust cloud visible when we started, to make initial corrections. Single shots didn't leave enough dust to see.

Copyof2009-07-0711-26-33.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My brother, dad, and myself were recently dinging at 375 yards on 15x25" steel with the heavy barreled 10/22 and wallyworld bulk Federal ammo.

We were not even prone, but sitting with a 25" Harris bipod.

Wind was slight, 3-5 mph full value, but it really drifts those bullets at 375 yds.

El correction was about 60 moa. Hits werre fairly consistent after we got the elevation dialed in, most of the misses were from wind drift.

375 yards
Yellow - 22LR
green - 308 Win
red - 44Mag revolver
2009-07-0712-33-13.jpg

I had to crank out a magazine full rapid-fire to get a dust cloud visible when we started, to make initial corrections. Single shots didn't leave enough dust to see.

Copyof2009-07-0711-26-33.jpg

</div></div>

That 10/22 looks more like a Charger with a rifle stock! lol. The longest i've gotten out on my .22lr is 175m. I need to get an EGW 20moa base for my Mark II so I can get out there further. I've been shooting the .308 so much lately, and my wife is starting to give me "the look" since she knows it's about $1/round for the .308. I've shot 189 rounds through the .308 since the last time I got the .22 out, and that was 7/19.

I really need to start shooting that .22 more, it's great cheap practice.

Branden