Older leupold question

Early Mk 4 would have had the tall M1 exposed turrets, a mildot reticle, and blacked-out trim rings.
Different Vari-X III variations but generally low, capped, coin-adjust elevation and windage, and a duplex reticle.
Also used to be a blacked-out Vari-X III Tactical 4.5-14 with tall, capped target turrets, but can't remember definitively if there was a 3.5-10.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobinNC
Varix iii tactical came before the mk4 I believe.
It did -- it was market-driven as a variable around 1998 before it was marketed as a military and police scope. I believe Premier Reticle had a lot to do with development with Leupold.

The first "F" serial suffix scopes had clockwise elevation turrets. "G" suffix serials had CCW to become the Mark 4 M3LR.

Last edited:
What are the differences between a varixiii 3.5x10x40 and a MK4 3.5x10x40?

VariX3 was the capped turret hunting scope. VariX3 Tactical was what turned into the variable power MK4. The VariX3 Tactical and variable power MK4 were identical when the name changed. The MK4 line existed during the VariX3 Tactical but were fixed power scopes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jLorenzo
VariX3 was the capped turret hunting scope. VariX3 Tactical was what turned into the variable power MK4. The VariX3 Tactical and variable power MK4 were identical when the name changed. The MK4 line existed during the VariX3 Tactical but were fixed power scopes.
This is more what I was referring to. The Variax with the M5 looking turrets and mil reticle. I have seen Mk4s with TMRs as well. There seem to be many variations of both scopes just trying to figure out what's what when looking to buy one. I want a 3.5x10x40 with TMR and mil turrets for a semi clone gas gun.