• Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support
  • Precision Rifle 101

Check out this course from CR2 Shooting Solutions on essential skills to elevate your marksmanship.

View course

Older/used spotting scopes?

frost1235

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2018
Where it snows
Current gear:
Binos - Kilo3000
Spotter - Emarth 20-60x60AE

So for my situation, I'm looking for a new spotting scope because I finally have a buddy to shoot with. We are currently kicking out to 1100 yards, and really only picking perfect conditions if I was shooting with a buddy. Now, I don't have issues spotting my own shots, but when it comes to spotting shots for my buddy the issues arise. Going out to 1100 with the Emarth is alright if sunny/clear conditions is fine. But if it get dark or hazy, then the sound of impacts or plate movement is all we get from the spotter.

Now, I'm looking for a scope I can use to see trace well, read mirage, and maybe even clearly see where the shot hit on a plate without hopping on my rifle on max power to do so. I know Swarovski and Kowa should be what I am saving up for, but I'm not a money bank and the time I'd have to work/save up for these things I'd rather spend shooting. I'm open for recommendations, but I have been looking at used Kowa's/Swaros. I can find Kowa's on eBay, but there's nothing for Swaro's. (Speaking for themselves.)

I've been looking at a Kowa 661/821 since they're all over eBay.

So my limits/requirements if new is better;
Under $2000, if possible under $1400
Great resolution and clarity is really what I am looking for
I don't care about weight, size, or if it has a reticle or not.

Well, as it happens, I've got a basically new Pentax 80ED with the 20-60 zoom eyepiece that fits your bill nicely at half your budget limit. I've actually got two, this one was going to be used to make a set of 'big eyes', but I can't get them mounted close enough together to make that work. It's a straight body, and if you look at the reviews it's every bit as good as the Kowa or Swarovski, uses 1.25" astronomical eyepieces and has great eye relief. I use mine in the XLR class all the time at 2k.

Reactions: frost1235
Your budget is not unrealistic.

You could get some new glass.

If you are patient you will find some outstanding great glass used.

I love buying from the PX or Ebay.

Here it is a pretty safe bet because people are actually pretty anal about their gear - only issue I have had buying from the PX is some pack for shipping like they could care less.

Ebay is a bit of a bigger gamble. Contact the buyer, ask questions, ask for a new specific picture to try and ensure they actually have the item.

You can buy some great stuff and avoid the walk out the door depreciation.

Second point though is how great do you need the glass to be and what do you expect it to do?

Glass gets tough at distance and expectations can be tough to meet. Consider weight/amount of peripheral gear and if you want to add to your burden.

Unless you really need top tier glass get good enough and BMA with the savings.

If you're military/LE , contact Kowa. I'd look at the Kowa 880 series as they offer a nice discount. You'll be able to get an 883/4 spotter and eyepiece within your budget. Clear, bright spotters. Hard to beat.

The largest obstacle you face in viewing trace and impacts at distance is the air you are looking through. No glass can fix that but the top end stuff can get all there is to get. Like @pmclaine states, I really like to find top tier glass in the PX or on eBay. Don't get in a hurry. It will show up. Do you homework on pricing and selection then be ready to jump in when it arrives.

Reactions: Wyzrd and frost1235
I wouldn't suggest buying on Ebay I once bought a knock off or clone Leupold scope but if you must do. Contact the buyer, ask questions, model number and marking just to be sure its same scope and ensure they actually have the item.

OP, I have a Zeiss Victory Diascope T* FL 65mm spotter with a fixed 30x WA eyepiece. It’s listed in the Optics PX here. I know glass is very subjective, but it truly does have amazing fluoride glass and is in the “Big 3” for a reason. Only glass I’ve looked through that I felt was superior, was the Swaro ATX/STX/BTX line.

Like the other guys said, you've got a great budget. You could get a new Swarovski ATS65 for that much, or a used 85mm. Tons of good deals in your price range, or well below even.

If you can snag a used Leopold Mk4 12-40x spotter with a TMR or P4 reticle, I'd go that route.

I found one on here a while back for 1200 or something. Fantastic piece of equipment.

+1 on this recommendation. The usefulness of a reticle on a spotting scope in calling corrections cannot be overstated, and going down to 12x opens up a huge field of view for finding targets.

I've been looking at a Kowa 661/821 since they're all over eBay.

Aside from lacking the mil reticle, my Kowa 663 is the perfect size/weight. At a certain point, if you don't need early morning or dusk light gathering capabilities, a big lens is just more weight and bulk to carry and set up.

As for lacking the mil reticle, I've learned to use multiples of target width/height to call corrections. Your partner can use his scope to mil the correction. Not perfect, but close enough. If someone tells me I'm 2 target widths Left, I can figure out the correction.

Last edited:
I’ve been real happy with my used Bushnell Spacemaster spotting scope. Made in Japan. 15-45x 60. Comes with backpack and tripod. I think I gave $125 for it.

I spot .22 impacts on paper a 300 just fine. Spot at 1000 just fine as well.

Only thing is the eye relief is a bit tight at 45x but I’m not at 45x very often.
B1B2C3CB-1B37-4003-8591-B15727C02A8A.png
EA4C75E6-EC79-4D1E-94A0-17D6AF2E8BFF.png
B0A370EC-559B-4D96-AD2A-0F0A76B560EA.png
E5713087-748A-4AF9-813D-546B3AB9E455.png