One mile shot with Creedmoor

broke_again

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2010
Kansas City
I headed out with Stone842 to the desert yesterday to get some practice in with our Creedmoors. We had planned on shooting some angled shots and some other drills.

That plan went out the window when we decided to set up for a mile shot.

We set up two targets and measured out to where we needed to shoot from. After calculating soft dope we made several shots to see where the shots were impacting. It was difficult to tell with the rocks behind the targets. We eventually dialed in to where we could see impacts. There was no way to tell hits other than the lack of impact in the sand around the targets. It was definitely a fun time and we will take the .50 out next time.

Conditions:
82 degrees F at the start
DA 4400
Elev 2200
Humidity 27%
Baro 27.03 inHG

I was shooting factory Hornady 140 A-max, and I was very impressed with its performance. It took me 20.3 mils elevation and 1.5 mils windage to hit steel.

Our Targets: (In hindsight we should have put them closer together)
IMG_0320resized.jpg

My Target:
IMG_0325resized.jpg

Stone842's target:
IMG_0319resized.jpg

My stick:
009-2.jpg

Next time out we will take more pics.

Re: One mile shot with Creedmoor

I love my .260 and it is actually quite a bit more accurate than my 300WM, but I have to say, out past 1250 yds. the 300 is a lot more fun to shoot simply due to the weight and size of the projectiles. Spotting those wimpy little 140 gr. misses can be really tough, especially if the target are is surrounded by hardpack.

Good shooting guys.

John