• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

one of those days or ?

steelejones

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
Maine
Hey guys, new shooter. I have a Savage 10fp-sr in .223. Here is some backstory. Im very NEW shooter, basically trying to beat my friends in precision shooting 100-200 yards. I have a SWFA 10x SS scope on it. Last year I wasnt very accurate and consistant. This year after reading alot on here over the winter about breathing, and changing my ammo to some Hornady Match ammo I got ALOT better. And up untill last weekend, I have been shooting GREAT (for me). Well I signed up for a local rifle club shoot thats in about three weeks and decided to go out on my own the other night. Well needed less to say I SUCKED. My groups were 2" off center and I couldnt do better. It was like my rifle was 'off'. I shot 40 rounds untill the barrel was scorching hot, got frusterated and went home.

I havnt really cleaned my rifle at all since ive had it. Up untill this weekend its shot great and i didnt want to mess it up.

This couldnt be it ? Or maybe its just one of those days ?

Dont bother flaming me for not cleaning, ill clean it but im curious everyones thoughts.

Re: one of those days or ?

Could your scope have shifted in the rings?

Cleaning isn't going to hurt you, I zero my rifles off the first 20 shots, my barrel stays clean for the most part.

I also don't let it get overheated, when you're barrel is scorching hot you're going to start getting some flyers.

Re: one of those days or ?

Dont beat youself up. 2" off center? Is that elevation or windage?
The point of impact can be changed, just make sure the groups are consistent. If they are all hitting to the left, no big deal, dont wast range time chasing a zero, rather on consistent grouping.

There are so many variables to weed through. Even if there was no change in your rifle, things like wind, bipod loading, natural point of aim can influence your shots. Just go back and get some more range time. Concentrate on your breathing, dont slap the trigger, and take your time. Also make sure your not hopped up on red bull before you go shooting.