• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes One scope on multiple rifles? Anyone do this?

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
Hello all. I am saving to get a highend optic(s) for some of my rifles and like everyone these days, money is TIGHT! I am mainly looking for something to be used on my 300WM and 50BMG. I was thinking about the possibility of using one scope for a while untill I can swing another one. My questions are how repeatable are the quick detach scope mounts and could the scope be swaped from one rifle to the other if I keep track of my zero from one gun to the next? I am only shooting paper for fun so a small ammount of adjustment with each swap is fine with me. I have no expirence with quick detach mounts so any info on repeatability is appreciated.

Re: One scope on multiple rifles? Anyone do this?

I kinda do this I run a good set of steel rings on a nightforce scope that rides on 3 rifles. I push them to the front of the rail before i tighten them when ever i switch rifles. Over all id say its goes back to with in 1 or 2 moa. The change could be alot closer but the places i shoot change so much i know most of the change is from other things then the base/ rings.

LaRue makes a new 700 setup that will do this.

If I was really going that route, then I would look into it. The other option is to use standard rings and a torque wrench. Make sure the wrench is accurate and log your torque settings. High quality rings should RTZ pretty close when you torque them to spec.

Yes, you will have to keep track of your zero and you will have to make sure the scope is remounted EXACTLY the same way each time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: egw1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had a custome that had a high dollar scope and was switching between a LA and SA remington rifle. What impressed me was the move from one rifle to the other was 5 clicks Left and One click of elevation to switch. Very Close.

geo

www.egwguns.com
</div></div>

You could program the offset into your dope sheet using JBM

This is what I do and I shoot a bunch. I find the return to zero is one MOA.
I use Warne or Leupold Quick Release rings (QRW) that are "weaver style." I started off with the other type - QR - that require exact spacing of the bases between two rifles and switched to the QRW for a much better and compatible system between multiple rifles; both short and long action and different manufacturers.
The QRW bases I use are ONE PIECE Picatinny type (Picatinny MILSPEC 1913) and NOT just weaver type bases. Weaver style bases have arbitrary spacing between slots and to truly use this system to its maximum you need true Picatinny one piece bases. These one piece Picatinny bases surprisingly are not made by Leupold but are made by many others. Be sure and get steel and not aluminum bases. I have bought, and can recommend Warne and Ken Farrell bases. Warne bases can be found at MidwayUSA and Ken Farrell can be easily Googled. Ken is a great craftsman and super guy.
The obvious advantage to the one piece Picatinny base over the two piece is that it will allow a scope with QRW rings to be switched from a short action to a long action; from a Remington, to a Savage.
I use an Excel spreadsheet, that I keep in a see-through plastic sleeve in my range bag or pocket. It has my scopes listed across the top and my rifles down the side and for each scope I have a designated Baseline rifle for which the windage and elevation knobs are index to a 100 yard zero. Then I simply "fill-in" the windage and elevation corrections for each other rifle after zeroing at the range.
I have had many old timers "pooh-pooh" my system at the range. That critique lasts about as long as it takes me to switch a scope onto several rifles and hit the Ten ring with a three shot group at 100 yards with each gun. I have more than ten high end scopes; mostly Leupold, but also NForce and Burris and when you pay that kind of money for a scope, why not be able to use them on all your rifles?
I shoot out to 1000 yards at the range and do a lot of P-dog shooting. This system works great and you won't be disappointed; whether you switch one scope between two rifles, or many between many.

I use one scope on three rifles (two most of the time). A 243, a 308 and a 7mm rem mag each rifle has a WARNE picatinny rail and I use WARNE Maxima QR rings on the scope. I "dotted" the turrets with yellow and red for the zero of the 243 and 7mm, the rest is in my head.

My results are the same as Randy Wakeman's were (from Chuck Hawks site)

I have a Talbot mount on a couple of my multipurpose rifles... it's been very repeatable in on/off between NV and day scope on the same rifle. I suspect that with multiple scopes switched between different rifles it would be too... of course your zero changes between each rifle.