Suppressors One Suppressor to Rule them ALL - Not really, but one to start with

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
I am going to order one this year, its gonna be awesome but there are way too many to choose from

I am looking for a general use suppressor that will be at home on my custom bolt gun or on my 16" AR15 carbines. a 10" AR is possible as well.

I know TBAC is seen as a gold standard for bolt gun/precision cans. Silencerco Omega gets good reviews but folks talk about them launching like it happens all the time.

i don't want to buy 2 30 caliber cans right now unless I am missing where there are great choices for $600 each.

the can will live on different guns frequently, so the attachment method needs to support. where should I look.

Oh, and I am active duty MIL, I know SICO has a good discount, are there any others that I should look into?

priorities:
accuracy,
ability to change guns easily
consistent POI

nice to have:
Full auto ability (in case I get excited and want to dump 1-2 mags or shoot a club carbine/3gun match)
10" SBR/AR15 pistol friendly
cost less than $1100 for the can

Edit: I am inclined to look at the SICO omega, between the full auto rating, ability to use area 419 adapters, SPEQ program etc it seems like a good way to go. any real reason to NOT look at SICO?

Last edited:
My first was a Gemtech TREK -T, it’s DT and a 22cal can, for my 22-250 or AR’s it’s great but a dedicated can more or less. I just pulled the trigger on a TBAC ultra 7 CB and wish it would have been my first purchase. Their CB mount and area 419’s system seems to be a great option for using on multiple platforms. I found my can at lone star armory and they also have Leo/Mil discounts.

SiCo Omega or Sandman S.

Those are pretty much the do it all cans.

I went with the Omega but converted it to the dead air mount (key-mo). Now have swapped to the area 419 system.

Sandman S is my vote die to the better mounting sustem although I never had problems with my SiCo mount.

Only reason to get hybrid over omega is that you may have larger caliber guns to shoot in my opinion. It will eat you up deciding
I'm not really thinking about the hybrid: my handguns don't have threaded barrels and i don't have any big bore rifles. I think the omega would work well and be a little lighter

for the YHM cans, are they as reliable/accurate as a SICO? I don't want to take my 1/2" 308 and make it a 1" gun or need to rezero every time I move the can.

In this day in age I wouldn’t buy a YHM.

It’s not the early 2000’s anymore.

Thunderbeast
Dead air
Sico

If those three company’s don’t make it you don’t need it lol. Customer service with all three are excellent and that’s what I look for now days.

Reactions: z7.jled
I'm not really thinking about the hybrid: my handguns don't have threaded barrels and i don't have any big bore rifles. I think the omega would work well and be a little lighter

for the YHM cans, are they as reliable/accurate as a SICO? I don't want to take my 1/2" 308 and make it a 1" gun or need to rezero every time I move the can.

The YHM cans work just as well as my SICO.

I ordered the Phantom QD adapter from YHM to put on my Hybrid, so now I can mount it on all my YHM QD mounts. I've swapped the Nitro and the Hybrid back and forth on different rifles just to see what would happen. Accuracy was the same...great with both.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
If you're never going to shoot above .300 any of the above will work great, but if you're only buying one, I would probably go with the TBAC offerings.

I have a SiCo Saker ASR and wish I would have gone with a hybrid to use with my 458s & 45/70s. Ended up ordering a 458 can from Lane. And a 9mm CGS can. And then made a form 1 22 can. You get the point. Have a couple 300 cans so I can take my wife and kids out, all can shoot suppressed so there's less complaining about the noise.

Reactions: NVScout
Take a look at the SiCo Chimera. Full auto rated with no barrel restrictions. Area 419 makes an adapter for the hellfire system. I have one of these in jail so I can't comment about its performance, but I picked it for all the other reasons you listed.

I have not looked hard at them, I looked a few years ago and didn’t like the cost and weight,

Besides being sbr/full auto capable, what do they have over the TbAC?

Don't really know, as I have not looked/shot any TBAC suppressors. I hear nothing but great things about TBAC supessors. I view TBAC and say Leviathan Suppressors as more for bolt guns. And I would say SilencerCo, Surefire, and Dead Air make cans that somewhat do both but lean more towards faster AR shooting.

But at the end of the day I don't think you would make a wrong choice at any of the suppressors listed. I have Surefire and SilencerCo suppressors right now. I may buy a TBAC or Leviathan suppressor in the future, but as of now, I have no need for another suppressor.

Last edited:
Anyone use a sico harvester? If so, how would it/ does it perform for prs type use? I can probably swing two cans of i can keep the total price around $1500-1800 with stamps

With speq pricing the harvester is $500 or something close, that would open up a sakr 556 or chimera for carbine use

Give the Liberty Mystic X a look. Covers all the bases.

Can design is weird, sound, and tone are purely subjective so take this FWIW. I've shot a Mystic and a TBAC side by side. Mystic sounded better to me(and other shooter) on a couple calibers and was a wash on others. Pretty close on most, big surprise was .300 Blackout. Mystic absolutely, crushed the TBAC on tone and perceived volume. Of course it really shines on 9mm, it lives on my 9mm AR pistol and is damn near hollywood quiet.

Really don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. As a Mystic owner I'm prejudiced, but it's tough to beat for a multipurpose can. MysticX and a .22 can and you're pretty well set.

The Nomad was designed to compete with the Omega. It is supposedly tougher and quieter. The brake is supposed to be less offensive at well. Was originally looking at the Omega, but everyone I talk to with experience with both points me to the Nomad.

Mount cost is irrelevant since it takes the Omega's mounts. You can buy the mounts and the brakes from SiCo if you want. I use the Area419 system, but if I was going with one of the others, it would be keymo.

Reactions: z7.jled and Potss
In this day in age I wouldn’t buy a YHM.

It’s not the early 2000’s anymore.

The original YHM can built off the Mark White design is still one of the best 556 cans ever made , 15 years later. Shame the market values latest and greatest. Some of the current YHM cans are also just as good and very value priced. Other cans I would look at:

DeadAir
Rugged
RMS2
AAC
Surefire
Energetic
TBAC
SiCo
KAC
Sig

Right now, there are more good choices for customers than ever before.

Reactions: jda2631
I run an Omega with Area 419 system on multiple bolt guns and ARs. I’m very happy with it. Some dealers will sell you the Omega without ASR attachment and accessories a good bit cheaper.

I also have several TBACs in NFA jail because cans are addictive.

You NEED a rimfire can too.

The original YHM can built off the Mark White design is still one of the best 556 cans ever made , 15 years later. Shame the market values latest and greatest. Some of the current YHM cans are also just as good and very value priced. Other cans I would look at:

DeadAir
Rugged
RMS2
AAC
Surefire
Energetic
TBAC
SiCo
KAC
Sig

Right now, there are more good choices for customers than ever before.

Gemtech One? Don’t want to thread jack the OP but looking at same multi use can up to .300WM

That company has all but dissolved. I wouldn't buy a can where the company has next to zero support
The reason for them taking a dive is that their CEO of 14yrs, Greg Latka, bailed on 'em over differences in opinion on a multitude of issues. He has been in the business over 30yrs, holds several patents, and he decided to devote his time and effort to his own company GSL, which is producing excellent suppressors.

I have one of their Multi-Cal cans in jail right now. It's not cheap, but it comes with direct thread adapters for both 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 as well as a Bi-Lock mount and Bi-Lock flash hiders in both thread pitches, so there's nothing else to buy to mount the can on several weapons right from day one. Additional Bi-Lock flash hiders are available for $70/ea.

FWIW, the US shooting team uses GSL suppressors, so that should serve as a testament to their quality.

Reactions: Bigrederic
Deadair Sandman S or Nomad. One of your criteria was 10" SBR (of course caliber choice is going to make a difference here), and SiCo omega has barrel restrictions, where Deadair has none. I have both and the Deadair is indestructible, and has a much better QD system, arguably the best.

Reactions: Potss
I've had my Omega for about 6 months now. It gets used on two precision bolt rifles and for that use it does very well. I'm very pleased with the noise reduction as well as moderating the recoil impulse to where I'm better able to spot my hits and misses with a 6.5 Creedmoor. POI shift was minimal but has to be accounted for.

For now I'm running direct thread on both rifles and don't see that method as a disadvantage. Sure it takes a minute to unscrew it from one and screw it onto the other. No big deal. I also took the brake off the front and replaced it with a flat end cap that I heard about here on the hide. I really like it in this configuration for the short length, about 6".

Good can so far.

If I do decide on another can, I'll probably give TBAC a look. They get high praise. But when I was looking to buy my can, the dealer has an Omega on the shelf and I could complete paperwork that day, whereas it was going to take 3 months just to get the serial number from TBAC in order to file the form 4.

I like my Griffin Alpha. It works great for my precision rifles. I can put it on my ARs for quick mag dumps. It is user serviceable. My friends at the range say it's the quietest can they've ever heard.

Reactions: vigildom7
I really think I am going to go with a SICO Omega for now, based on features, availability, price etc. they seem like a pretty good can for most things, not the best for one thing over another, but that is how it goes.

eventually i want a TBAC and a few others but I gotta start somewhere. between rugged, oss, dead air, Q, AAC, surefire, TBAC etc it is easy to get saturated with options, so i'll just make a decision and roll with it. I have not seen much regret at buying an Omega

I would go with the Omega. I own several for this specific reason. The older ASR mounts had an issue but I believe SICO fixed them. I launched one and they had it fixed and back to me in less than a week no questions asked. I like to use the 5.56 end cap on my AR’s and makes it a little quieter. Really quite as well as accurate.

I really think I am going to go with a SICO Omega for now, based on features, availability, price etc. they seem like a pretty good can for most things, not the best for one thing over another, but that is how it goes.

eventually i want a TBAC and a few others but I gotta start somewhere. between rugged, oss, dead air, Q, AAC, surefire, TBAC etc it is easy to get saturated with options, so i'll just make a decision and roll with it. I have not seen much regret at buying an Omega

Solid choice, I love mine. I was planning on getting more cans afterwards but I have been perfectly content with my omega for everything I have other than pistols. Cant really find a reason to upgrade to another can other than I cant shoot the single can on two rifles at once lol

Solid choice, I love mine. I was planning on getting more cans afterwards but I have been perfectly content with my omega for everything I have other than pistols. Cant really find a reason to upgrade to another can other than I cant shoot the single can on two rifles at once lol
the 2 rifles at once thing will be a reason to get another can for me. I have kids and as they grow and continue shooting with me, they will definitely want a can of their own

I agree with the YHM recommendations. YHM Resonator is a great can, and you can get it for $400. 16 ounces, full auto rated, 300 RUM rated, one of the best mounts IMO and the mounts are cheaper than most companies. All welded so would take some extreme use/abuse to break it.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
So you might have already made a decision and if so then I'm sure you'll be happy with an Omega. They are great cans. In case you haven't or someone else is reading this with the same question, I thought I would add some of my experiences. First the Omega is a great all purpose can. I don't think you can go wrong there. It is a touch pricey, but SiCo is a great company and will take care of you in the event you ever have an issue.
Thunderbeast is an amazing company and they really invest in the sport of shooting and take amazing care of their customers. Also can't go wrong here. Probably the biggest downside is that they can be tough to find in stock. That's because they are good with a good company and people behind them.
Dead Air Nomad is a great choice as well (although I don't have one of these). Really solid can and I would say it's somewhat of an update to the Omega. It sounds good and some people like the KeyMo mount. I'm not a huge fan because of the weight. However, you can get the Nomad and Griffin Armament will give you a "Plan A" mount for use with their taper mount brakes for free. That's a deal and a heck of a lot lighter than the KeyMo and a ton cheaper as well.
Griffin Armament Recce or Explorr would be solid choices as well. I use a Recce 7 as my beat around can because it's built exceptionally stout. It's just a touch heavier than the options above. The Explorr uses a similar baffle stack and should be just as good sounding while being a little lighter. I've always been able to get ahold of them to ask questions and they make a ton of muzzle devices for just about any application. I actually took out the ASR mount on my Omega and put one of their "Plan A" mounts in it. There really isn't anything wrong with the ASR system, although you will read that their is. It's basically just people not reading the manual and then not paying attention to how they install the can and then launching it downrange because it isn't really threaded onto the muzzle. Easily remedied by paying attention and looking at the system to see how it works. I switched to the Plan A because I already had taper mount brakes on a bunch of my rifles and wanted easier interchangeability.
Lastly if you are looking to save a few pennies, don't sleep on the YHM Turbo or Resonator. I don't own either but I've shot both, the Turbo on an 18" AR and the Resonator on one of my precision rifles and I was amazed at the quality and sound. When I found out the price I couldn't believe it. They really are good and as a bonus they are a great value. If not for the stamps and the wait, I would have a Turbo permanently situated on all of my semi's and on my prairie dog rifles and Resonators for any bigger rifle that doesn't already have a symbiotic relationship with another can.

My last and probably most important piece of advice is to think through your purchases and how you plan on adding more and what rifles you would like to be able to use them on. It definitely is a huge bonus to have multiple cans that use the same mounting system. Swapping and timing brakes is a lot tougher than taking of an internally threaded can that mounts to a brake system.

Reactions: Alarka
I am going to order one this year, its gonna be awesome but there are way too many to choose from

I am looking for a general use suppressor that will be at home on my custom bolt gun or on my 16" AR15 carbines. a 10" AR is possible as well.

I know TBAC is seen as a gold standard for bolt gun/precision cans. Silencerco Omega gets good reviews but folks talk about them launching like it happens all the time.

i don't want to buy 2 30 caliber cans right now unless I am missing where there are great choices for $600 each.

the can will live on different guns frequently, so the attachment method needs to support. where should I look.

Oh, and I am active duty MIL, I know SICO has a good discount, are there any others that I should look into?

priorities:
accuracy,
consistent POI

nice to have:
Full auto ability (in case I get excited and want to dump 1-2 mags or shoot a club carbine/3gun match)

Edit: I am inclined to look at the SICO omega, between the full auto rating, ability to use area 419 adapters, SPEQ program etc it seems like a good way to go. any real reason to NOT look at SICO?

SiCo Omega was and would be my choice again. I had all the same requirements, minus the 419 because they weren't around. The Omega is still a can that I'm happy to put on damn near any rifle. I think I'm at probably 10,000 rounds or so through it between 223, 6.5 Creed and some 3O'hate mixed in.

Now with the 419, Dead Air and that other guy more or less standardizing to the Omega thread pitch there's plenty of mounts available if you're not sold on the ASR. I'm fine with ASR as it is very solid once it's properly attached (you did remember to keep the ASR ring fully open right?).

There's a lot of companies that make a great product and do great things for the industry, Dead Air and TBAC being 2 others. Between SiCo's amazing after purchase support, their dedication to pro-hearing legislation and all around awesome culture of making cans fun I'm happy to say I have several SiCo cans and I'll probably buy more.

+1 on Omega. 419 mounting system is unbeatable, and you still have the option of quickly switching to a brake (with minimal POI shift no less) if the situation calls for it.

Also tough to go wrong with TBAC/419.

I have a Gemtech one, I love it. It groups very well but there is a few inch POI shift when I take it off. I have no experience with any other cans so I don’t know if this is the norm.

priorities:
accuracy,
consistent POI

nice to have:

Q Trash Panda kicks all of the asses.