(Concluded) Opinion on following long-range rifles?

DangerDave

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2024
Hellinois
AI AT-XC
Bergara Premier Series (MGLite, MGMicro Lite, HMR Pro)
Christensen MPR
DD Delta 5 Pro
MPA PMR Custom Match
Seekins Precision Havak Hit/Hit Pro
Tikka T3x Tact A1

Would like to know personal experiences and opinions about the firearms mentioned above. I know that there are different intentions of usage etc. but what about a general long-range rifle (no competition or any of that deadly sniper training crap... just good old fun) that you can just shoot/practice and get better at it with?

Last edited:
Money no object? AI ATX-C or MPA PMR custom match.
Why? They are quality rifles that will shoot well and take a lot of rounds to heat up a barrel. Plus minimal recoil and easy to attach to bipods or tripods. You shouldn’t need to add anything to those out of the box other than a scope and bipod

Money no object? AI ATX-C or MPA PMR custom match.
Why? They are quality rifles that will shoot well and take a lot of rounds to heat up a barrel. Plus minimal recoil and easy to attach to bipods or tripods. You shouldn’t need to add anything to those out of the box other than a scope and bipod
Thanks for this response.

Too broad to get any good info. Why not whittle those down to two or three models. Specify what you mean by long range, for some that 2000 yds and beyond, and others its sub 500.
2000 yds being the maximum. I just want to place targets a mile away and practice. This is for fun + learning + improving skills rather than training for a competition.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Not sure, I just put mine together based on rudimentary mechanical skills and stuff learned here. LRI or Southern precision or one of the many here on the forum could answer that. I just got an action (impact 737r) barrel (Bartlein chambered by Bugholes), trigger (BixnAndi), Stock Manners (manners TCS From the PX), Scope/mount (ZCO) and put them together, turned out well so even an old guy like me got it together.

Agreed. But if someone with no experience building, wanted to buy a nice out-of-the-box rifle?

Honestly, going custom for the first time seems daunting. In actuality, it's not.

You need:
- An action
- A barrel
- A trigger
- A stock or chassis

You can send those to any competent smith, and they will put them together for you. If you're reticent to go the custom route, then having someone do your first one for you is not a bad way to go.

To put this in perspective from a pricing standpoint, you could get a very solid custom build for:

- Action ("lower end" of the custom category): ~$900
- Barrel Prefit for the Action you Choose: ~$500 - $900 depending on the barrel
- Trigger: $150 - $275
- Chassis: ~$500 - $1000 for most budget and midrange models
- +Gunsmith charge (mine charges like $1000, but he is upper end and that also includes bedding the stock, which I tend to use over chassis)

All-in for those four components, for a midrange custom (which is still way better than most of the factory options listed), you're looking at $2000ish to $3100ish.

Then, of course, you'd need an optic, mount, and possibly a brake - but you'd need those regardless of what route you choose.

Honestly, going custom for the first time seems daunting. In actuality, it's not.

You need:
- An action
- A barrel
- A trigger
- A stock or chassis

You can send those to any competent smith, and they will put them together for you. If you're reticent to go the custom route, then having someone do your first one for you is not a bad way to go.

To put this in perspective from a pricing standpoint, you could get a very solid custom build for:

- Action ("lower end" of the custom category): ~$900
- Barrel Prefit for the Action you Choose: ~$500 - $900 depending on the barrel
- Trigger: $150 - $275
- Chassis: ~$500 - $1000 for most budget and midrange models
- +Gunsmith charge (mine charges like $1000, but he is upper end and that also includes bedding the stock, which I tend to use over chassis)

All-in for those four components, for a midrange custom (which is still way better than most of the factory options listed), you're looking at $2000ish to $3100ish.

Then, of course, you'd need an optic, mount, and possibly a brake - but you'd need those regardless of what route you choose.
I had another thread going and with the help of a few guys, I have finalized this:
Zermatt Origin + PVA Osprey + MPA Matrix + PVA Jet Blast + TT Diamond 2-stage.

Reactions: YotaEer and Secant
For me:

1) AI AT-XC
2) MPA PMR Custom Match
3) Tikka T3x Tact A1 / Seekins Precision Havak Hit/Hit Pro

I don’t know enough about the options below to comment or rank them:

Christensen MPR
DD Delta 5 Pro

I’ve always loved AI and really enjoyed the ones I’ve had. If I could justify owning them now, I would. MPA makes a great rifle, and is the true custom on the list IMO. Then Tikka and Seekins are tied for me. I’ve never had a Seekins bolt action, but I hear good things and have never had an issue with any of their gas gun products. I currently have a few Tikkas and they’re amazing rifles for the money, IMO. Far as I’m concerned, out of true factory rifles (not counting “smaller” operations such as Seekins) currently in manufacture, Tikkas are the only action I’m really interested in since I can’t afford an AI.

Reactions: DangerDave
If your going to shoot at a mile for fun and improving skills I would probably look at a different cartridge then a 6.5 creed I know it’ll do it.. but I would probably look at like a 300 prc or something like that just a bigger bullet that’ll be easier to spot misses if the conditions aren’t perfect like if you have wet ground or something

If your going to shoot at a mile for fun and improving skills I would probably look at a different cartridge then a 6.5 creed I know it’ll do it.. but I would probably look at like a 300 prc or something like that just a bigger bullet that’ll be easier to spot misses if the conditions aren’t perfect like if you have wet ground or something
Makes sense.

AI AT-XC
Christensen MPR
DD Delta 5 Pro
MPA PMR Custom Match
Tikka T3x Tact A1

Would like to know personal experiences and opinions about the firearms mentioned above. I know that there are different intentions of usage etc. but what about a general long-range rifle (no competition or any of that deadly sniper training crap... just good old fun) that you can just shoot/practice and get better at it with?
I have two of those ... the MPA in 300-WM and 300-NM, and the Tikka in 6.5-CM. All three are terrific and give me great results, with the 300 MPA's working as my "go to" match guns out to a mile. The only negative comment about the MPA's are (1) the magazines can be a little "twitchy" until you're chassis is tuned just right for whatever you use, and (2) I struggled with loosening action screws until I bedded the 300-WM. The only negative comment on the Tikka is that when it came time to replace the barrel, I learned it's virtually impossible to remove it without either a relief cut, or the help of a gunsmith (LRI is awesome for this). No idea why Tikka feels the need to torque the shit out of their barrels in the factory, but I eventually (and with help) got it replaced. That's it ... my experiences with two MPA's and one Tikka T3x TAC A1. Hope that helps.

Id make sure you actually have legitimate access to those long ranges before tethering yourself to a big boomer than knocks your teeth out just to end up actually maxed at 300yards by geography.

This exactly. If you want to have fun and practice, go with the 6.5. It will reach a mile consistently with the right setup. But unless you are very lucky, the number of places reasonably available to you to shoot a mile is very limited.

How much does it cost to get a gunsmith to put 'em together? (any rough estimate?)
If you have to ask this just eliminate the first one from your list. Not to mention nobody has first hand experience yet with the ATXC to truly recommend it

I say MPA or Tikka from your list. AI is awesome and my top choice but I’d like to see hands on reviews of them before I’d spend that kind of money. A used AI is a better value

When you begin to type

“How to find………”

And autofill spits out,

“How to fuck a donkey”

It’s time to reevaluate life’s choices 😁
Nothing of that sort. It’s more along the lines of “fuck JB Pritzker”, “why are democrats stupid”, “what happened to the cops that investigated Hilary Clinton’s case”, “what goes on at Bohemian grove”, etc.

When you begin to type

“How to find………”

And autofill spits out,

“How to fuck a donkey”

It’s time to reevaluate life’s choices 😁
IMG_3782.jpeg

Nope. I looked up Bohemian Grove owl statue earlier. Hence “owl”. What’s the fascination with zoophilia?
I’m just messing with you,

Any interest in trying to build. I know you said above you want out of the box but building is easier than ever and you’ll end up with what you want and higher quality in the end.

The action and barrel quality will make or break a rifle. I love my AIAT. But try to love my ATX. The others are simply factory offerings.

A factory rifle will never compete in price vs performance in what you can build

I’m just messing with you,

Any interest in trying to build. I know you said above you want out of the box but building is easier than ever and you’ll end up with what you want and higher quality in the end.

The action and barrel quality will make or break a rifle. I love my AIAT. But try to love my ATX. The others are simply factory offerings.

A factory rifle will never compete in price vs performance in what you can build
😂 figured you were messing around but you never know who you run into these days… especially with the furry fuckers running around peeing in litter boxes. Btw, I was discussing build in another thread and decided on this: Zermatt Origin + PVA Osprey + MPA Matrix + PVA Jet Blast + TT Diamond 2-stage.

😂 figured you were messing around but you never know who you run into these days… especially with the furry fuckers running around peeing in litter boxes. Btw, I was discussing build in another thread and decided on this: Zermatt Origin + PVA Osprey + MPA Matrix + PVA Jet Blast + TT Diamond 2-stage.
That would be a good choice to. Pva does good work I have one of his barrels on my zues and it’s shooter he also built my origin barreled action and it shot amazing

If its for fun and you hand load most any factory rifle that holds 1" or better for 5 shots is good to start, many are closer to .6" for 5 shots. No magnum calibers needed.
The Australian long range shooting couple shoots standard cartridges to 3000 yds and beyond.
They took a standard factory Rem 700 police barreled action, with 26" barrel. nothing done, dropped it onto an alum chassis. Added an expensive scope with an adapter to gain extra mils.
With Varget, Berger 200.2 20X bullets, chronographed ammo for consistency, I believe it was a bit over 2500 fps.
Then took it to 3000 yds, 10 rds only, wife spotting, on a fairly small plate,... 2 hits in a row, with a factory 308, at 3000 yds, out of 10 rds fired.
All on video...you can do the same, with practice...fun and cheap.
I use a long action R 700 with a 30" heavy plama 8 twist Bartlein, in 308 with 200 gr SMK at 2856 Ave fps, snd 230 Atips at 2620 fps...for my fun gun these days, but I started with a factory Rem 700 police 308 26" barrel, took it to 1400yds... A cheap place to start. Plus nowadays there are new bullets and powders that will get you way out there, with a fast twist barrel.

I notice from your thread in the Bear Pit that you're in Central IL. Before spending 1k yard rifle system money, I'd double-check what ranges you have available. I only know of some 600yd ranges in IL, haven't heard of anything longer.
Lots of big farms there. He might not need a range.

Lots of big farms there. He might not need a range.
I can't imagine having to get permission to shoot, or find an area that's confined to 600 yds, as the best prospect. Ya got another 300 miles behind the mountains.
Could move out west...no don't, it's all full up.
And you would not know how to navigate the wind currents up here.
A 308 gives you lots of barrel life, and good performance at 600 yds...easy, less expensive. To get started, many cheap off the shelf rifles will work fine, especially if ya hand load.

Attachments

• 20240509_132152.jpg
    20240509_132152.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 21
I can't imagine having to get permission to shoot, or find an area that's confined to 600 yds, as the best prospect. Ya got another 300 miles behind the mountains.
Could move out west...no don't it's all full up. And you would know how to navigate the wind currents up here.
A 308 gives you lots of barrel life, and good performance at 600 yds...easy, less expensive. To get started, many cheap off the shelf rifles will work fine, especially if ya hand load.
It can be a bit of a drag. The land in IL is very productive for corn production, so that's what it does. And finding someplace to hunt, besides public land which is always busy, is really difficult. Compared to Kentucky, where I went 'round knocking on doors and a couple of 12 year olds on ATVs with shotguns offered to take me right then and there.

Anyway, I've not meant to derail OPs thread, just wanted to suggest tempering expectations or make sure he has a legit 1000yrd place to shoot. I recently went through a similar exercise spec'ing out a .260 build, high-end glass, and settled on a .223 because 90% of the time I can only shoot 200 yards. And there's a waiting list for the 600 yard club and it's 2 hours away.

I'll bow out now as I have no technical or equipment advice to contribute.

Could move out west...no don't, it's all full up.
And you would not know how to navigate the wind currents up here.

This bullshit attitude of some westerners is getting old. People move to wherever the fuck they want without your advise or consent.

And LOL on the wind, what a stupid comment.

This bullshit attitude of some westerners is getting old. People move to wherever the fuck they want without your advise or consent.

Without a doubt, You're the reason for the attitude...don't worry there are many like you.

I for one welcome all shooters to the west coast, maybe we can someday outvote the left wingers :LOL:
That has not been reality...I've seen small towns ruined in 10 yrs. I lived there and moved, never to return. It went from 10,000 cowboys and loggers to 160,000 metro out of state buyers buying and developing every piece of land.
The logging mill closed, and the land subdivided.
High taxes, new schools, shopping malls, new paved roads and parking lots...and heavy traffic congestion.
Deer herds decimated, their wintering grounds taken up by housing devisions just outside the normal city, along with shopping malls.
New hunting regulations, higher hunting and fishing fees, on limited resources, heavy regulations begin to arrive with the increase in population.
Politics always changed to the liberal side, with the influx of outsiders.
Reminds me of the Native Americans watching the white man move in.

AI AT-XC
Christensen MPR
DD Delta 5 Pro
MPA PMR Custom Match
Tikka T3x Tact A1
I've had each one of those, and some are great but the MPR has no business being on a list with an AI.

AI AT-XC Excellent rifle, a little nose heavy for my taste
Bergara Premier Series (MGLite, MGMicro Lite, HMR Pro) Great option on the cheaper end
Christensen MPR
DD Delta 5 Pro Pretty heavy but otherwise a solid gun
MPA PMR Custom Match Amazing gun considering the price
Seekins Precision Havak Hit/Hit Pro Also heavier than I'd like, but great for comps
Tikka T3x Tact A1 Also a bit front heavy, and not quite as comfortable as the others
Order of choice for me:
1. AI AT-XC
2. MPA PMR Custom Match
3. DD Delta 5 Pro
4. Tikka T3x Tact A1
5. Bergara Premier Series
13. Christensen MPR

Last edited: