Opinions on Abolt 7mm issues

Jruppert71

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2022
Pennsylvania
I recently got an older like new browning abolt in 7mm rem mag. Loading 165 Sierra TGK. H1000, WLR, 3008fps.
Scope is vortex diamondback tactical FFP 4-16x44 with Talley integrated ring/base mounts.
I can not get this thing to shoot consistently at all. Up to a 10” spread . I adjust 2 min down it shoots 6 min right .
I adjust another 2 min it shoots 1 mil high. 1 min down then it shoots 4 min low. Then 4 min up and back to 4 min rights.
Don’t know where to start. I thought I had a decent group before with this load. But I haven’t tried any other bullets in it yet . But still it shouldn’t be 10moa bad if it’s not a good laid. Rings are trash? Scope is toast? I know it’s a lower tier scope with a magnum cartridge but Vortex said it can handle it but I’m not a huge Vortex fan. And this is the first time I’ve used these integrate ring/ bases.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Trouble Shooting 101:

Check/Replace/Swap one thing at a time.

1) Check your bedding and action screws torqued correctly & reshoot.
2) Then the scope, replace it with another & reshoot.
3) If that doesn't work swap the ring and bases. And reshoot.
4) If that doesn't work have Browning look at your Barrel under warranty.
5) If all else fails list it on Gunbroker, and make it somebodies else's problem.

Trouble Shooting 101:

Check/Replace/Swap one thing at a time.

1) Check your bedding and action screws torqued correctly & reshoot.
2) Then the scope, replace it with another & reshoot.
3) If that doesn't work swap the ring and bases. And reshoot.
4) If that doesn't work have Browning look at your Barrel under warranty.
5) If all else fails list it on Gunbroker, and make it somebodies else's problem.
I have a bad track record with loose action screws . Doesn’t seem loose but I’ll check torque. People have said this scope will hold up even being mid tier but the lack of proper adjustment makes me think it’s trash. I’ll follow your steps though hopefully I don’t end up at step 5 😂