Opinions on hogue pillar bedded stock without a bipod.

berry79

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Way South Florida, USA
Just got an excellent deal on a Remington 700 sps dm in 270. I bought this to be my low budget hunting rig. Don't want to put a lot of money in but, definitely want to change out the cheap factory stock. I liked the feel of the hogue that came on my sps tactical 308, but changed it out for a b&c medalist because I shoot this rifle primarily off a bipod. Being that my stock options are limited being the rifle is a dm model, and I don't plan on using a bipod on this rifle. I will be shooting off the hand. Would the pillar bedded hogue be a decent choose for this rifle?

From my recollection the hogue stocks already have aluminum pillars. I believe that hogue makes a version with an aluminum beading block as well. If you are intent on the hogue that is the way I would go. Were it me, I would look around for a deal on an HS Precision take off. They pop up all the time for $200 or so. Long action stocks are a little more scarce, but you can find them.

Chip

From my recollection the hogue stocks already have aluminum pillars. I believe that hogue makes a version with an aluminum beading block as well. If you are intent on the hogue that is the way I would go. Were it me, I would look around for a deal on an HS Precision take off. They pop up all the time for $200 or so. Long action stocks are a little more scarce, but you can find them.

Chip

I've been looking but, it seems the take offs are not for the dm model. Trying to keep things cheap. I've seen the full bedded hogue but just wasn't sure if it were worth the extra money since I won't be using a bipod on the front.

How does the rifle shoot now? IMO the B&C is not much of an upgrade. I would go with an HS stock over B&C

I have a b&c on a different rifle, my sps tactical. I was just referring to that rifle because it originally came with a hogue. The rifle I'm looking for the stock for is a long action sps detach mag. Didn't see many options because this is a dm model. Trying to keep this one as a budget hunting rifle. The factory stock that's on this one, can not even slide a dollar within the first 1/4" of the front. Just looking for something with a better feel and the possibility of a free floated barrel. Just curious if the hogue pillar was a good option over the full length bedding block version. If I'm not using a bipod I thought maybe I could get away with cheaper model. The rifle is not going to a pression rig, just something I can take to the woods that I'm not to worried about it getting some bumps along the way. My other rifles I have so much money invested into them that I find myself being super cautious with them when hunting. I figured if I keep this one on the cheap side I could feel a little more at ease with it. I was going to stay even lower on budget and pick up a Stevens 200 but with the deal I got on the Remington, I couldn't pass it up.

You are correct the DM sort of limits aftermarket selection. Most, if not all, of the hogue take off stocks are short action. All that rubber makes them a bit heavier than the B&C or HS aftermarket stocks. You could just to a krylon job on the factory Tupperware, or look at a nice walnut or laminate take-off stock. Boyds makes aftermarket stocks for most rifles and they are quite reasonable in price, you might have to do some inletting.