Rifle Scopes Opinions on leupold prw2 rings

randello88

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2020
Hi, i am going to mount a kahles 4-12x44 on my hunting rifle. It's a bergara b14 hunter .308 with a Warne two piece mount (which i choose over a One piece mount deliberately). I am in the process of choosing the Rings and i am oriented towards leupold prw2, mainly because They are made by a reputable manufacturer, because They are not too expensive and because of their Classic look. the gun shop owner (Who Is a well known and a very experienced hunter in my country) said They are gtg but i noticed They suffer from a poor reputation on the forums. Why Is that?

Thank you everyone

I have 2 set of the pwr rings. The seem to look decent but I have had issues with both sets. The first set, when I was installing them I snapped both the jaws. I torqued them to 20 inch pounds and they broke. Leupold sent me a new set. The other issue, they are a tight fit over the scope tube and I have had them scratch my scopes. Not a pleasant thing when mounting a 1600 dollar scope.
For more of a classic look I went with Warne horizontal permanent attach rings.

Reactions: randello88
The other issue, they are a tight fit over the scope tube and I have had them scratch my scopes. Not a pleasant thing when mounting a 1600 dollar scope.

For the tight fit, I take and insert two small phillips screwdrivers opposite sides from each other through the screw holes and flex the top of the ring a small bit to fit over the tube of the scope. Just have to be careful not to flex it too much.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
I have 2 set of the pwr rings. The seem to look decent but I have had issues with both sets. The first set, when I was installing them I snapped both the jaws. I torqued them to 20 inch pounds and they broke. Leupold sent me a new set. The other issue, they are a tight fit over the scope tube and I have had them scratch my scopes. Not a pleasant thing when mounting a 1600 dollar scope.
For more of a classic look I went with Warne horizontal permanent attach rings.
I see. Thanks for the answer. Do you think the Warne you bought are Better quality? I am looking for sturdy and reliable ring possibly with a Classic look

Never used the PWR2 rings. I have Leupold Mk 4 steel ring on my .308 deer gun. They are excellent IMO but of course they are mo’ money, honey.