• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes opinions on the Horus H37 reticle

Re: opinions on the Horus H37 reticle

The Horus Falcon scope with the H37 reticle gives about the performance of good quality target scope with generous vertical drop capability. It's most impotant feature is that gives the precision of target knobs and click counting without the need to turn knobs or count clicks.

he process of determing the horizontal and vertical offsets needed are essentially the same as with target knobs, but you simply place the target at the appropriate location on the mil grid. The accuracy achived is the same as with target knobs but with less chance of making errors in counting clicks or getting lost couning turns. Because you can see the entire field of view and see where your scope's zero is relative to the target it reduces the chance of making dumb errors, such as turing the knobs the wrong direction.

The H37 is not a ballistic computer, it's not a weather instrument, it's not a rangefinder (at least no more than a mil-dot scope). To use it you need either lookup cards for your ammo and environment or a ballistic computer. Thats no different from what you need for a scope with target knobs. As with any long range scope you still need to be able to measure or estimate crosswind, inclinations, and air density effects.

So the benefit over target knobs is mostly speed and (in my opininion) lower likelyhood of making errors. An additional benfit is being able to rapidy measure the error in mils between the point of aim and the point of impact. Making corrected followup shots is much easier than with target knobs.

The Horus Falcon H37 scope expects to be on a 20 MOA tapered base relative to the bore. The only use of the scope's elevaton and windage knobs is to zero to scope on a particular rifle. Those are not changed in normal use. If quick disconnect rings are used it's easy to move the scope between rifles. Just zero the scope for each rifle and mark the zero setting for that rifle on the rifle's range card. It only takes seconds to restore the scopes zero.

The Horus Falcon has an illuminated reticle but it really doens't allow the use of the Mil- grid features. It's about like having a mil-dot scope for simple holdovers. The parallax adjustment works like any decent scope and the scope has a good diopter adjustment range.

I like mine well enough I bought a second one. I keep one with 20 MOA rings and one wiht zero MOA rings to use with different rifles.

Fantastic. I have the H37 in a USO SN3 TPAL 5-25 x58 on a .338LM AWSM. At 1600m I'm getting close to the bottom of the visible grid with 250gr scenars, so I start dropping the magnification to about 10. I expect I'll get another 300m before there's no more visible grid. But as I have 0.1 clicks available too I expect it's possible to get a lot further out by using a combination of clicks and reticle (just haven't got further yet). My ballistic calculator indicates I'd also get more range / visible grid if I zeroed at a longer distance eg 600m, but for me 100m is easiest in terms of locations available for sight-in.

I'm happy to rave about the Horus system. I also have the H32 in the Leupold spotter too. But in both cases some people find them quite busy. The wider bottom of the H37 has plenty of markings to cater for windy areas.

I find the concept of hold-overs quite intuitive, and great for engaging multiple targets at different distances. If you want to get the most from the reticle I recommend your shooting buddy also has a horus reticle too, so you both talk in the same frame of reference.

On 5 powder how many mils is there to the bottom from the first horizontal line 37?

The H37 max vertical under the zero is 34 MRAD.

25x_h37_horus_h37_1.jpg

It kind of depends. I had two scopes with the H37, a Premier Heritage 3-15x and a Bushmell XRS. The Premier was the better scope in every way, I shot it for a few years on my DTA out to a little over 1600yds. I moved up to a K624i with the SKMR3 and think that’s a much better reticle for what I need. The Premier was replaced with a TT525P with the Gen2XR, I’m warming to this reticle though I still prefer the SKMR3. The XRS was not a very good scope, it became very muddy over ~20x and I thought the reticle lines were too thick. I only paid $900 new for it and sold it for same so don’t feel too bad.

I'm a holdover nut with the H59.

I would rather dial however mils and hold for the rest if I need to, shooting ELR which the H37 was designed to do.

Only about 6 mils at 1000Y for me so holding over inside 1000Y is no biggy at 25X.

Plus I like the clear space above the horizontal crosshair for spotting or viewing.