Opinions please

mudlupilot

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
I'm interested in a Lapua .338 for long range target shooting. I've been looking at the Barrett 98B Tactical 24" (around $4,000) and the Accuracy international AX 27" (around $8,000). At twice the money, is the AI twice the gun?

if those are you only 2 options then the AI is the way to go, no question.
what are your criteria? there might be better options for what you are looking to do.
are you going to hunt, or hike.
just go to the range
etc.
that being said my safe has become a dust bowl since i have been buying AI's. i dont like to sell rifles (just cant do it most of the time), but they are collecting dust.

I'm interested in a Lapua .338 for long range target shooting. I've been looking at the Barrett 98B Tactical 24" (around $4,000) and the Accuracy international AX 27" (around $8,000). At twice the money, is the AI twice the gun?

Wow, a 24" barrel for a 338 LM. Shortest I've ever heard of. As brianf noted, really depends of what you intend to do with the rifle. You note "target" shooting. Out to what distance? On paper or steel? How often? What's your budget for the base rifle?

Given the choices, the AI would be mine.

If you are on a budget and the AI is out of range (pun intended) I would buy a Savage 110BA before I bought a Barrett.
Hell I would buy a Sako TRG in .338 before the Barrett. I have shot several of the TRG's and I don't know if you could find a better .338 for the price.

Is there a reason for you guys are against buying a Barrett? I personally would by the MRAD over the 98B but I have shot both the MRAD and AI AX in 338 and they are on par in comparison.

barrett burned the shooting community over the years with a few promises and upgrades/updated parts for their rifles that never came or came several years after the marketing promise date. aside from that they do make a nice piece of kit, but there are equal or better for the same money without the bs.
if you are on a tighter budget a TRG-42 is a excellent weapon (priced well if you looked used), as accurate as can be along with several aftermarket guys with accessories.
i have a TRG 42 in 338 that i bought years ago, i put it in a APO chassis a while ago because i just never felt comfortable behine the stock. latest barrel was a 30" krieger 4 groove by APA with a fat bastard, it is a absolute hammer even with factory ammo that i shoot now and then. i just dont shoot it that much because its so damn long and i dont get out past 1500 much anymore...wife and kids.

I just got an AI AXMC 338 with 308 set up. Total was about $9500. I love that gun. If I had to do it again I would get exactly the same thing. ..... come to think about it, maybe I should do it again. :0) but really I think AI is the way to go.

You asked for opinions so this is just that, take it for what it's worth. I've got the AX and it's a great rifle but for the expense you really will want to be shooting 1500 yds plus alot/enough to make the 10 grand investment (outfitted with good glass) worthwhile. The Barrett will suffice if you're going to shoot once a month, or every couple months or even less and will save you lots of coin and you'll need it shooting the 338 at $4.50 a round until you start handloading (more investment.) Of course if your situation is different than mine and money is no object then go for the AX (and as mentioned probably even better the AXMC.) regardless if you use it or if it sits in the safe.

LOL...OP you started with 2 choices...did you thought you would get off with an easy answer? If you are considering $8000 for a great rifle and $4000 for the lowest price; there are other great options out there as well. And that's just the rifle... next is scope, range finder, etc, etc... got to love ELR ;)
Some guys love their DTA!
My buddy shoots a 338 LM built by Mark Gordon/Short Action Custom, that rifle is a tack driver, looks awesome and cost less than $8000!
I shoot a TRG 42 338 LM 1/10 twist with an older NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50/NP-R1 and send 300 Berger ringing steel at a mile.
And other choices...
On the other hand, AI makes great rifles and if that's what you want and you can afford it, they are bulletproof and great shooters; go for it!
Good luck!

I would also look at the Desert Tech SRS in 338LM. Roughly $5000, and it's a great gun, if you can get use to the bull pup design. I've had two, and am planning on getting a third. Multicaliber and easy to use. But if you can swing 8k for a rifle, get the AXMC in 338lm, also a multicaliber.