Suppressors OPS Inc Suppressors

dannon3979

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2011
I'm looking at getting multiple suppressors for a few of my rifles. I've been seriously looking at OPS Inc. at my favorite for their reputation and performance. Does anyone have any thoughts about the company or the product. I'm lookng for something that will last forever while with low maintenance and most reliability. Thanks for all the input.

Re: OPS Inc Suppressors

I don't like them. Many Others do.

I'd rather have a surefire, which is practically the same except the silly ops 2 part attachment is replaced with a single piece mount.

To be honest I'd rather have something else over both of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't like them. Many Others do.

I'd rather have a surefire, which is practically the same except the silly ops 2 part attachment is replaced with a single piece mount.

To be honest I'd rather have something else over both of them. </div></div>

That "silly mount" helps to minimize point of impact shift. Also Surefire cans are much louder than Ops Inc, and finally, they cost twice as much.

I bought an Ops Inc 16th model with a mount and an M4M model; two suppressors and one mount for $1,050.

As for the company, Ron Allen who makes the suppressors has been one of the easiest manufacturers I have ever worked with. I had to get some custom collars made and I had them in my hand in less than a week after I sent him an email. I also sent him a Smith Vortex mount that he inspected and informed me it was too long for his suppressors. He shortened the Smith mount and refinished it Free Of Charge.

I have seen a few cases of guys who wore out their Ops Inc cans by shooting them full auto on 7.5" barrels and Ron has fixed them up and sent them back to them.

While Ops Inc has not dumped any money into marketing and advertising like many of the larger companies; they do not have to. Their reputation speaks for itself and anyone who understands what a quality suppressor is knows that Ops Inc makes one of the best.

You can't go wrong with Ops Inc. Be aware that you will need your barrels contoured for the mount, or you will need a special mount made, but they are some of the best suppressors out there. I have well over 10,000 rounds through my 5.56 12th model and have never had any problems with it.

16th, 15th, 14th, M4-M, and M4-S all share the same mount.
.30 cal. and .223 cal. 12th models mount the same, but the .30 cal. brake has a larger bore for the larger bullet.
3rd. model needs a contoured barrel with a threaded muzzle, no brake.

Ron (the guy who runs Ops Inc) is a really nice guy, and the Ops Inc product is top notch.

The suppressors may be slightly heavier than some, and the mounting system requires a little extra cost to install/buy, but it is one of the best mounting systems in suppressors.

The two point mount reduces run out, and the attachment method is solid and secure.

I have two OPS INC 12th models in 30 cal. On different bolt guns and they are awesome. POI shift is almost non existent and they help with the over all balance of the gun.

I would say their only drawback is the tend to heat your barrel up much quicker due to the reflex style design.

I have two and would buy more if and when the opportunity exists. Excellent product

I shoot with friends that have many models of suppressors. My favorite by far for .223 is the Ops Inc Model 12. I have one currently waiting for Form 4 to clear.

My reasons for picking this can are:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Very small POI shift[*] When you remove the can, you have a functional muzzle brake[*] Cantilevers over the barrel for shorter overall length[*] Quietest I've heard of .223 cans (granted this is subjective)[/list]
The first point is the most important as I will be using this on an SPR that I built for accuracy.

I just noticed that the "silly mount" provides most of the benefits that I actually care about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two point mount reduces run out, and the attachment method is solid and secure. </div></div>

What is "run out"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two point mount reduces run out, and the attachment method is solid and secure. </div></div>

What is "run out"? </div></div>

Bore alignment in barrel to suppressor

I would also point out that while the Ops Inc mounts are more expensive than other mounting systems, Ops Inc is one of the few companies still including their mount with their suppressors. AAC and many other companies have stopped doing this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two point mount reduces run out, and the attachment method is solid and secure. </div></div>

What is "run out"? </div></div>

Bore alignment in barrel to suppressor </div></div>

What he said, with the addition of:

In any machining operation, there will always be some runout- even if it is very insignificant like .002" over 6". The two point mount should in theory cut whatever runout exists in half. So it has that advantage- the disadvantage is additional weight and cost in the form of a collar and custom barrel contour required to fit the mounting collar.

I have an OPS 12th 5.56, and a OPS 12th 7.62, I love them, I have owned several other Suppressors from JET and Gemtech and the OPS Inc blows them out of the water.....only drawback is the BBL conturing, but I have found it not to be a big drawback....In short nothing but positives on performance and durability.

I just sold my ops inc due to the mount on my rifle (Larue OBR) . That being said, Ops Inc is a very HEAVY yet VERY VERY VERY durable suppressor. You probably wont shoot enough to burn it out. it is not the quietest, but it is not the loudest and it will last you forever. Ops Inc is good to go.

They aren't my favorite. If you search you will see I've said this before and been told I'm an wrong before. The fact I have more time testing suppressors and suppressed systems than most people on this site, holds no merit when compared with someone who has invested some of their money to buy one.

I think they are heavy. Some say that means durable and others say overbuilt. But they don't mean the same thing. Or we would all be driving DeLorean's.

The two piece mount being needed to reduce run out is untrue. Building the suppressor correctly plus threading the barrel and cutting the shoulder in regards to the bore is what is needed to reduce run out. If this was true we wouldn't still be running single point attachment muzzle cans on precision rigs. Everything would be two point. I'd also argue having to contour, cut and align two threads and control the alignment on all that mess encourages more run out than a simple muzzle setup.

Having to contour a barrel reduces rigidity. Also changes the harmonics. Not a big deal for a few shots. But continued fire will cause POI issues in my experience. Also the barrel will heat up and store heat in a non uniform way. It's a problem with all reflex designs. I'd also argue the added internal volume is usually far past the point of diminishing returns. This can be seen in the design of integral suppressors. An integral design with a long ported barrel relies on a thinner barrel usually, or has a taper in it. As it heats up groups will open. The best designs have short stiff barrels in them vs long ported ones. You can try to tension the longer barrels, usually with a 2 piece attachment like we are discussing here (that's what SRT arms employs in their integrals as do many others). It's not a best way of doing things.

I run a lot of short barrels. A lot of different hosts. Of different configurations. The OPS cans require contouring (added expense and time) and won't always even work. I'd rather have something that works. That way I can have a viable suppressor solution, and swap hosts around.

I'd rather go with a good TI muzzle suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
...I'd also argue having to contour, cut and align two threads and control the alignment on all that mess encourages more run out than a simple muzzle setup...

...I run a lot of short barrels. A lot of different hosts. Of different configurations. The OPS cans require contouring (added expense and time) and won't always even work. I'd rather have something that works. That way I can have a viable suppressor solution, and swap hosts around.

I'd rather go with a good TI muzzle suppressor.
</div></div>
Titanium is probably not an optimal choice on a short barreled host unless the blast chamber is constructed of inconel.

The only barrels you would need to re-contour would be a barrel that has a diameter larger than .858 inches; that's a pretty fat barrel for a .223, but I will agree their are some people still shooting ultra heavy bull barrels.

For everyone else, the 16th, 15th, 14th, M4M, and M4S use the same mounting system. the collar hangs on the contour that most m4 profiled barrels have.
bOPSINCBrake-Collar.jpg

If you are like me and shoot Noveske barrels that do not have an M4 profile, the solution is quite simple. Email Ron Allen and give him your barrel dimensions and he will make up a collar that hangs off the barrel shoulders directly behind the muzzle brake. Like I said, I had mine in hand a week after I sent the email.
IMG_20111021_053433.jpg

The collar on the left is for an M4 profiled barrel, the collar on the right is for a non profiled barrel.
IMG_20111021_054029.jpg

Here's my version of a short barreled MK18 carbine. It's a Noveske MK18 upper with a 12.5 inch barrel. It was built to host my Ops inc M4M which when attached gives me an added length of four inches from the muzzle (about 16.5 inches overall); a 10.5 inch barrel hosting the Knight's suppressor commonly used on a MK18 will add around six inches past the muzzle (about 16.5 inches overall).

In short I have a platform with the same overall length as a 10.5 inch MK18 with a six inch suppressor, but has greater than 300 FPS MV increased, weighs roughly 9oz less, and is noticeably quieter.

I own several Ops Inc suppressors and have nothing but positive experiences with all Ops suppressor products I've used. One of my 16th Models has thousands of rounds through it on a 14.5" barrel select-fire M4 and several other hosts. Never had a problem.

Just a few of my Ops product hosts...
opsFamily_acLarge.jpg

Ron Allen has top notch customer service. Once a friend had a projectile spin apart (bullet failed) and tumble all the way through a 12th Model destroying the core (but the tube was okay). Ron rebuilt it and paid return shipping to the customer even though it was no fault of his/his product. Awesome guy.

I've shot 12th Model and 3rd Model .30-cal suppressors pretty hard on bolt-action rigs and never experienced groups opening up unusually or any unusual degradation in accuracy caused by barrel heating issues. To be clear, the rifles performed exactly the same suppressed or not; when barrels got hot groups did open up slightly (as you would expect) but this happened with the same firing schedule suppressed and unsuppressed. I.E. the suppressor did not adversely affect anything. Just my experiences though.

Now, regarding the company... We'll have to see what will happen now that Phil has passed away and his daughter is running the show. (Hey Jan, I hope you read this.
wink.gif
) The company would be a lot better off if they would standardize pricing, offer dealers some price incentive to stock and push the product and then focus on some actual marketing.

I'm a fan based on proven results and personal experiences.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The two piece mount being needed to reduce run out is untrue. Building the suppressor correctly plus threading the barrel and cutting the shoulder in regards to the bore is what is needed to reduce run out. If this was true we wouldn't still be running single point attachment muzzle cans on precision rigs. Everything would be two point. I'd also argue having to contour, cut and align two threads and control the alignment on all that mess encourages more run out than a simple muzzle setup.

</div></div>

I didn't imply two point mounting was required or necessary. Only that it halves runout over a comparable single point brake mount. Ops does also do the third model, which has no brake mount at all, (two point mount machined into the barrel).

When you compare a single point thread mount suppressor, you remove parts which helps, but you also reduce mounting security to an extent (single points can and do loosen at times on their own), which is not an issue with the Ops mount.

I don't understand how contouring a barrel is supposed to harm accuracy when we are talking about a .010" Step cut in an Ar15 barrel that is already dictated to be .745" approximately by the gas block.

The third model does significantly reduce the diameter of a bolt action M24 barrel <one common application. The end users I've worked with enjoyed the recoil and sound reduction as well as better accuracy they achieved in conjunction with the suppressor, so they shot always with the suppressor attached.

Over the barrel mounting a suppressor does have a negative cost of weight to performance ratio over a non over the barrel suppressor, but also comes with the benefit of reduced blast chamber pressure, increased volume with no increase in mounted length, and also reduced back-pressure. In the case of Ops it also increases rigidity and durability of the mounted suppressor. There are several advantages of over the barrel suppressors.

The two piece mount being needed to reduce run out is untrue. Building the suppressor correctly plus threading the barrel and cutting the shoulder in regards to the bore is what is needed to reduce run out. If this was true we wouldn't still be running single point attachment muzzle cans on precision rigs. Everything would be two point...

...Having to contour a barrel reduces rigidity. Also changes the harmonics. Not a big deal for a few shots. But continued fire will cause POI issues in my experience. Also the barrel will heat up and store heat in a non uniform way.
</div></div>

I think you may be missing the point. The main argument of the two point system seems to be that it reduces POI shift to almost nothing. Many, myself included, see this as a pretty big benefit. Others may be fine with two sets of DOPE; I prefer to keep it simple.

I don't see how contouring a barrel changes the harmonics to the point that they will be inconsistent after "a few shots".

As far as heat up goes, that might be seen in your poorer quality barrels that may be riddled with fire cracking and tooling marks. Most precision cut barrels will not see a POI shift when the barrel heats up; I believe that Frank did a video on this debunking this myth.

One last note: The military, SOCOM included has maintained the 12th model is their best option for the Mk12s. The only complaint I have ever heard from my coworkers that have deployed with it is that it is a bit on the heavy side.

I stopped by my dealer's who happen to have an indoor range on the way home from work today. I was finally able to shoot my M4M and 16th models. While I am obviously going to promote and defend my choice in suppressors, I will say that these cans are very impressive.
IMG_20111024_123211-9.jpg

I first shot my 12.5 inch upper without a suppressor and with the muzzle brake to get a "before" sound. Needless to say I was not a very popular guy at the indoor range with that brake.

The M4M did a great job of cutting down the blast and flash as a mini can should. I would not be afraid to use this one inside a building with only minimal ear protection as we often do in CQB environments. Ear pro is obviously still necessary, but this suppressor will afford you some protection and probably prevent you from having to wear double ear pro inside of a shoot house.

I did not get the 16th model for this carbine, but it still felt great on this gun. The M4M was hardly noticeable weight wise when mounted and the 16th model still felt extremely well balanced. I feel that the reflex design really aides in preventing the weapon from feeling too front heavy as it might with having alll six inches of a suppressor hanging off of the muzzle.

I am just about at the four month mark so I am hopping to take these babies home with me before Christmas.

I am fortunate enought to have had a 16th model on my M16A1 carbine which was upgraded to a SOCOM M4 heavy barrel. This combination was sweet to the ear and down range on targets. It is very durable and heavy duty. Mine has over 10,000 rounds of military ball and precision HP rounds with no problems. I do dip it in a ultrasonic cleaner at work after full auto sessions, and the crap that floats out of it is amazing. Great suppressor for the money and still rolling strong!

I have a 12th model coming in for my SPR build, but I still love my 16th model.