• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Optic for 50 yard Zero on 50MOA rail

Need_More_Mags

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2020
NC
Rifle: CZ 457 AT-One
With: 419 50 MOA Rail

Usage: Maximum range 500 yards, letting kids shoot with it, plinking at local 200 yard range

Wants: Zero stop, 6-24x, 50 yard Zero, Illumination,

Needs: 50 yard Zero with 50moa rail

Doesn't have to be the biggest baddest scope around. This is a "play around" rimfire build.

For comparison only I have:
-CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis
-Area 419 30 moa rail
-Bushnell Forge 4.5-27X50.

With a 50yd zero I have 13.3 mils of useable elevation. 13.3 mils gets me to 290yds using Eley Target or Club. At max zoom I can also holdover approx 6 mils.
My current scope would not be able to zero at 50yds IF I had a 50moa rail.

Reactions: Need_More_Mags
For comparison only I have:
-CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis
-Area 419 30 moa rail
-Bushnell Forge 4.5-27X50.

With a 50yd zero I have 13.3 mils of useable elevation. 13.3 mils gets me to 290yds using Eley Target or Club. At max zoom I can also holdover approx 6 mils.
My current scope would not be able to zero at 50yds IF I had a 50moa rail.
Yeah I'm running into no solutions. I have seen a ELD shooter say a Athalon Midas Tac will do 500 with a little bit of holdover and still do a 50 yard zero... And it has 25 MIL of adjustment... Which says to me any scope with at least 25 mil of adjustment could do it!? Not really a fan of bottoming my scopes out either though...

Yep I think if you find a scope with 25 mils of adjustment you "should" be ok to use a 50 moa rail and all get a 50yd zero. I may upgrade to a Razor 5-20x50 because that baby has 36 mils of travel! (Gen II is out of my budget).

My Mark 5 5-25 will zero at 50 and has more than 24 mils of elevation left. I forget the exact number, but I know it was enough to reach out to 440. The only cant I'm using is the 20 moa in the rail. Not sure if you could get away with 50 moa total, but I know 40 will still get you a 50 yd zero.

Vortex Strike Eagle. Buddy has one on his Vudoo with a 40moa base and has about 25mils of elevation left. I have about the same thing with my Razor on a Vudoo with a 40 moa base. But the Strike Eagle is definitely the best bang for the buck.
I WAS sold on the strike eagle until someone sent me an article stating you lose adjustment when using the rev zero stop. I couldn't believe it.

I WAS sold on the strike eagle until someone sent me an article stating you lose adjustment when using the rev zero stop. I couldn't believe it.
I was too but I realized I wouldn't use it anyways. Let's say my SE has 27 mils out of the 31 available mils up. There should be 4 mils of UN-useable elevation. Once I reset my turret's zero it won't be a problem. (I never any of my zero stops at 0 anyways. I generally set it to 1 mil under to compensate for other different types of ammo).

Last edited:
I was too but I realized I wouldn't use it anyways. Let's say my SE has 27 mils out of the 31 available mils up. There should be 4 mils of useable elevation. Once I reset my turret's zero it won't be a problem. (I never any of my zero stops at 0 anyways. I generally set it to 1 mil under to compensate for other different types of ammo).
well another person has said strike eagle as well now... What's your zero at?

well another person has said strike eagle as well now... What's your zero at?
I'm at 50yds for a zero. This discussion just reminded me I have a 50% off Vortex cert that expires next month so I will be $400 poorer tonight. Just hope the image quality isn't a big decrease going to a Strike Eagle from a Bushnell Forge.

I'm at 50yds for a zero. This discussion just reminded me I have a 50% off Vortex cert that expires next month so I will be $400 poorer tonight. Just hope the image quality isn't a big decrease going to a Strike Eagle from a Bushnell Forge.
😂. My DMR Elite Tac II took a dump during a two day course... Haven't been a Bushnell fans since. I do like the Pro for the money though.

Yeah I'm running into no solutions. I have seen a ELD shooter say a Athalon Midas Tac will do 500 with a little bit of holdover and still do a 50 yard zero... And it has 25 MIL of adjustment... Which says to me any scope with at least 25 mil of adjustment could do it!? Not really a fan of bottoming my scopes out either though...
I have a 457 MTR with a Midas Tac on a 419 30 MOA rail. I have to use holdover to reach 300yards when zeroed at 50 yards.

Athlon Ares ETR on a 30MOA rail gets me to 440 yards with SK Standard+. Thinking about trying a 50MOA rail as that would give me 29.8MILs of dial and should be good for 500 yards (29MIL dial) with a few clicks left and would still be about 2.2MILs off the bottom... Full disclosure, that leaves NO safety margin for the erector as everything is maxed out. Going with 85% of dial would “only” get me to 25.4-ish MILs or 460 yards with no hold over.

Edited because I can’t math 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Please explain. I feel like I'm missing something here.
You will only have a couple mils of travel below zero so you won’t have to worry about getting a full rev off zero. You can dial down to your bottom and come back up to zero. The revstop on the strike Eagle isn’t like the zero stop on a pst(stops at zero) or the razor(stops at .5mil below zero). It’s just designed to keep you from going a full revolution below zero which you won’t be able to do anyway with that base.

You will only have a couple mils of travel below zero so you won’t have to worry about getting a full rev off zero. You can dial down to your bottom and come back up to zero. The revstop on the strike Eagle isn’t like the zero stop on a pst(stops at zero) or the razor(stops at .5mil below zero). It’s just designed to keep you from going a full revolution below zero which you won’t be able to do anyway with that base.
That's makes me feel better about the whole thing. Thank you for clarifying that.

I am just starting to set up a RUGER 10-22LR for long range shooting. I bought a 50 moa rail about a month ago because it was such a good deal. I have a Sightron III 10-50x60 scope I want to use on the gun with Federal Bulk Blue Box ammo , 38 gr at 1240 fps.
Question.... I am not smart enough to answer this and hope some one can give me the info here....What yardage can I ZERO THIS SETUP AT ? I was hoping for a 50 yards zero but dont think it will work. Can anyone help me with this question ? thanks. Marty

Good scopes in that $400-600 price range would be the Vortex Venom, Viper HS-T, Strike Eagle, Arken SH4 Gen2, Athlon, Primary Arms, SWFA SS, and many others.

I have about 15 Vortex scopes, and recently just bought an Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 MIL VPR scope, and I'm HIGHLY impressed so far. 2 different days at the range on my .260 Rem, and it's been perfect every time. Holds zero, and the zero-stop is the best I've ever used. Once you reset the turret to zero, and tighten it down, it's like it hits a solid wall when you return to zero. I think the zero-stop system on my Viper HST scopes is terrible. It works, just a bit of a pain in the ass to reset and adjust with the brass shims, removing the whole cap, etc... It's an ordeal. The Arken you unscrew 4 cap screws, reset to zero, tighten 3 cap screws, tighten down the zero stock, and then tighten the set-screw. Takes no time, and only requires a 2mm allen wrench.

I'm fixing to send off one of my old Viper HS scopes I've had for about 10 years now. It's got a lens coming loose, and when you rock the magnification ring side-to-side, you can watch the reticle wiggle with it. Not good. But, their lifetime warranty will take care of it. Maybe, since they don't make that scope anymore, they'll let me pay the difference and upgrade it to something better, like the new Strike Eagle 5-25x. Vortex is usually pretty cool about stuff like that.

That being said, I pulled that Viper HS off my new Christensen Arms Ranger 22, and put the Viper HS-T 6-24x50 that was on my .260 Rem (before I put the new Arken SH4 on it for testing), and now that HS-T will remain on the Ranger 22. I highly recommend it, as well.

I am just starting to set up a RUGER 10-22LR for long range shooting. I bought a 50 moa rail about a month ago because it was such a good deal. I have a Sightron III 10-50x60 scope I want to use on the gun with Federal Bulk Blue Box ammo , 38 gr at 1240 fps.
Question.... I am not smart enough to answer this and hope some one can give me the info here....What yardage can I ZERO THIS SETUP AT ? I was hoping for a 50 yards zero but dont think it will work. Can anyone help me with this question ? thanks. Marty
Everything I own with an optic (red dot, EOTech, scope, etc...) all get zero'd at 100 yards...Even my .22's.

Looking for some one that is smarter than me that can answer my question. The sightron III 10-50x60 has a total of 50 MOA. If That helps on the math. I am just not smart enough to figure out the math if I can zero at 50 or 100 and if not what ? Thanks. Marty

Looking for some one that is smarter than me that can answer my question. The sightron III 10-50x60 has a total of 50 MOA. If That helps on the math. I am just not smart enough to figure out the math if I can zero at 50 or 100 and if not what ? Thanks. Marty
I'm a MIL guy, not an MOA guy... So, I'm not sure. Doesn't seem like a lot of adjustment. The Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 has 108.8 MOA of adjustment, which would be more than enough for what you're hunting for.

I have this same scope, but in MILs, instead of MOA, and I'm very pleased with it so far. I will be buying more in the future.

Not shilling for any company, just trying to be helpful since you need a lot of adjustment for your needs, and this scope has tons of it. The glass and reticle are pretty damn nice, too.

You need a new scope or a new base. With a 50 moa base and a scope with only 50 moa of travel, 25 up and 25 down, you will be about 25 moa high so probably around a 200+ yards before you can be at the bottom of your travel. So a 15-20 moa base would be a better option so you can zero at 50 yards, which is a good Rimfire zero range.

Reactions: FuhQ
You need a new scope or a new base. With a 50 moa base and a scope with only 50 moa of travel, 25 up and 25 down, you will be about 25 moa high so probably around a 200+ yards before you can be at the bottom of your travel. So a 15-20 moa base would be a better option so you can zero at 50 yards, which is a good Rimfire zero range.
👍🏼 I agree. I run a 20 MOA on my 10/22 and CA Ranger 22. I zero at 100, and have enough adjustment for dialing to 200.

Have an MOA StrikeEagle 5-25X56 on a 40 MOA rail.
With a 15 yard zero (close limit on parallax), I am 32 MOA clicks up from bottom. I’ve been able to dial to 400 (club limit), with an unknown number of elevation left, and 36 MOA of reticle.

I have a Burris XTR3 3.3-18 on my CZ457 with 35mils total travel. With the DIP 25 MOA rail and Burris Signature Series rings I can dial 30.5 mils. So I can shoot to 515yds before holdovers.

The Burris rings have adjustable cant that allows you to pretty much dial in as much elevation as you can squeeze out of your optic.

Rifle: CZ 457 AT-One
With: 419 50 MOA Rail

Usage: Maximum range 500 yards, letting kids shoot with it, plinking at local 200 yard range

Wants: Zero stop, 6-24x, 50 yard Zero, Illumination,

Needs: 50 yard Zero with 50moa rail

Doesn't have to be the biggest baddest scope around. This is a "play around" rimfire build.

I never shoot closer than 100 yards (I usually just "dust" odd-shaped pieces of broken clays 1"-1.5" in size at 200-300 yards, but at the request of several people a few years back I zeroed at 50 yards I zeroed my euroOptic Sako Quad (21.0" .22LR Lilja .900" Bull Barrel), so I could see how many MILs' I had available on a PMII 5-25[56] MIL on a 45 MOA base with a 50 yard zero, which is 24 MILs with (40gr.) Wolf MT. I didn't have my chrono with me that day but I did record the conditions.

NOTE: Aside from the awesome optical clarity and excellent, dead-on adjustments, the PMII 5-25[56] Parallax focuses razor-sharp down to 10 meters.

Temp.: 62.8 F
Wind: 2-3 mph from 8:00
Pressure (Absolute): 28.34
Altitude: 860/ft.? ASL
Density Alt.: 22.20
Humidity: 76.0

Elevation Corrections w/50 Yard Zero:

100 yards = 2.2 MILs
200 Yards = 7.9 MILs
300 Yards = 13.9 MILs
400 Yards = 19.9 MILs

euroOptic Sako Quad (#6 of 49) with PMII 5-25[56] on Custom Murphy Precision 45 MOA Titanium Base and Sterk Swept Ball Bolt Handle:

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ and huntnh
457 with 20moa 419 rail. My razor 4.5-29 zeros at 50 yards - with an ERTAC 0-20 Mil set at 15 mils…. I think I’m pretty close to bottom.

so I about 15mils or 50moa on the adjustable ertac mount. I had a 20moa rail, so I bought a 50moa rail for an increase of 30moa. That should allow me to dial back the adjustable mount, give me a little more room below a 50 yard zero, while keeping the ertac at 0mils for a 50 yard zero- and have most of the scopes vertical plus 20mils on the ERTAC to work with.

Reactions: Retired