• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Optics Help needed

Ipe

Private
Minuteman
Hey there Snipers Hide. I've been searching the interwebs looking for the answer to my question and I just haven't found it. I've been lurking here for a while and it seems that you folks are a serious group and have the skills and experience to help me out.

Before I get to the question I'll give you some background:
A long time ago I served in the Army as a pilot. When I was in I consistently shot "expert" with the M16. Now I know that that doesn't mean squat here; you guys have the skills to shoot a hemroid off a gnats butt at a 1000 yards. I truly respect your skills and experience. Maybe I could have done that too, but at the time it wasn't my focus. I just mention this so you know that I have some (albeit limited) experience too.

I started shooting with my son in the last year. He's a pretty good shot and we can both consistently hit lined up shotgun shells at 100 yards with a borrowed 10/22 (He's a good shot with my AR too, but thats another story). We'd like to do more than that though, both in accuracy and in distance. Borrowing sucks too, so I've purchased a Savage FV-SR that'll be his Christmas present. I've been reading this site heavily, seeing what you guys have done with the FV-SR and will be applying those lessons to his FV-SR. We've been watching Top-Shot together and his goal is to be able to split cards, hit aspirin tablets at 100 yards, and be able to knock the eye out of a one-eyed-jack. I'd also like us to be shooting accurately on the 200 & 300 yard ranges. I know these goals are ambitious but I want to help make it happen.

Stocks are easy: its going to be a Boyds Tacticool or a Rhineland Leopard. Bipod: Harris, etc....

The big question is glass. I am honestly and completely confused on what to get for a scope. I've set a limit of $500 for a scope, $400 would be better, and as I've read posts here on Snippers Hide I was leaning towards a Falcon Menace 4-14 with illuminated reticle (or possibly the 5.5-25x50). I liked the idea of a FFP mil dot reticle,. and where we shoot the 100 yard range can get a lot of shadows early due to the high pines surrounding it (this is why the illuminated reticle). All in all it seemed like the optimal solution. Then I started finding lots of you saying that for target shooting a SFP scope with a fine duplex reticle is better.... Sooooo.... I'm a little bit confused as to the right choice to make. :confused:

He and I have talked about this rifle. He knows he's getting it, and he is saving his allowance to help with the scope and a stock. He's already saved $150 for the scope, anything above that I'll cover. Now he's set his sights on saving for a stock. I can say this for the boy, he's determined!

Anyway, I know that this has been a lot to read. If you stuck through to the end, you have my thanks. Any and all help you folks can provide for what scope will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Ipe