Original Army SF 5th Group used LaRue Stealth uppers!

USMCSGT0331

🔫
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    www.snipershide.com
    I know that these aren't vintage rifles, but the Vintage Section of this forum also doubles as a place to post and discuss rare and historical firearms. Recently, Primary Arms sold some Army Special Forces 5th Group used LaRue Stealth uppers. These uppers were used on their deployment to Iraq in 2007 to 2008. These uppers were called "Stealth" because they were made to mimic the Mk18 Mod 1 uppers, but with more accurate heavy barrels. Just like the Mk18's, these uppers have a 10.3" barrel and quad-rail handguard. The heavier barrel in the Stealth uppers allowed the operators to transition from indoor CQB to outdoor longer-ranged engagements in the open desert.

At the end of their deployment they had to do a 1:1 swap with these Stealth uppers for Crane NSWC made Mk18 Mod 1 uppers. A few weeks ago these 5th Group used Stealth uppers were send from LaRue to Primary Arms. This has also led to an OPSEC/PERSEC issue for these 5th Group soldiers.

Their names are on the cardboard boxes and this ties them to the unit, and can possibly be used to dox them when they're currently working sensitive jobs. So, if anyone here has one of these original used uppers, please don't post the name that's on the box or tag. Please don't dig into it, there's no reason that collectors would ever need information on these individual soldiers. It honestly crazy that these boxes and tags weren't sterilized before these uppers were sold, and some people in the SF community aren't too happy about it. So, please don't dox these guys if you have one of these uppers.

I missed out on the original Primary Arms sale of these historical uppers, so I've been scrambling to find some on the collector market. Unfortunately, this also means that I'm now paying a lot more for these uppers than what they originally sold for. Primary Arms sold each upper for about $1,000 and I've been paying about $2,000 per upper on average. The painted uppers are very rare and obviously command a higher price. I've heard that a few of these uppers have traded hands between collectors for $4,000 to $5,000, but I haven't completely confirmed this. These uppers have some absolutely amazing history, and they'll only go up in value. If a big gun-tuber like Garand Thumb ever does a video about these uppers and more collectors find out about them, expect them to double or triple in price from their current value. We've seen that happen with other original military surplus items, such as the M40A1 return stocks and the Mk13 DRMO stocks/chassis. Of you find one of these uppers for sale at a decent price (right now that would be under $3,000), buy it! Or let me know about it so that I can buy it, lol.

Here's my 3 unpainted uppers and my painted upper:

Screenshot_20240711_163556_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240713_134739_Gallery.jpg

Here's one of my original 5th Group used LaRue Stealth uppers on an SBR lower. The Aimpoint T1 red dot sight is military surplus and has a UID engraving on the top side, but it's not correct for this upper and I only mounted it because I had it on hand. I need to find an older Eotech to put on the upper.

1000013124.jpg

1000013125.jpg

Apparently some of these uppers also had silencers on them, but most of the soldiers didn't use the silencers when running missions inside buildings (they needed them as short as possible for indoor CQB, and the silencer made the rifle too long). I think the KAC NT4 might be correct for some of these 10.3" uppers with the 9" handguard, but the extremely rare version of the upper with 11.5" barrel 8.2" handguard that possibly used some kind of SureFire silencer. Here's one of my unpainted uppers with a KAC NT4 silencer:

1000013148.jpg

1000013149.jpg

The painted rear sight that's on one of my unpainted uppers is actually a perfect match to the painted upper that was missing a rear sight. I couldn't believe that I had the missing painted rear sight on one of these unpainted uppers! So, that painted rear sight is now on the painted upper, it's an exact match! Most of the uppers also come with test targets (maybe 100 yard?) and their boxes were from the Mk18 CQBR uppers that the Stealth uppers were swapped out with. Also, these uppers are heavily used and are absolutely filthy! They were definitely used on a lot of missions and each upper probably has numerous terrorist/insurgant kills attached to it!

Any guns or gun parts that can be directly linked to a top tier Army unit are extremely rare! In addition to these coming from a top tier unit, most of these uppers have a name on the box and/or tag that can be traced back to an individual soldier. I don't think we'll ever see another item like this that can be traced back to a single user, so that really makes these uppers unique. I have quite a few original firearms and gun parts that were used by top tier Army units. and have that history documented in some way. One of these days I'd like to get a few photos of all those items together in my collection.

Did anyone else here get one of these original Army SF 5th Group used LaRue Stealth uppers? If so, please post a few photos of it here in this thread (please remember to sterile the names in the photos). If anyone has one that they'd like to sell, please let me know as well. I have a few collector friends who would like to pick up one of these uppers, and I'm trying to help them locate a few uppers.

Hopefully you guys find these historical uppers to be interesting and hopefully other people here will have some photos and/or information to add to this thread! Please let me know if you guys want to see more photos of the uppers in my collection, I'd be happy to share more photos if needed!

Last edited:
    I know that these aren't vintage rifles, but the Vintage Section of this forum also doubles as a place to post and discuss rare and historical firearms. Recently, Primary Arms sold some Army Special Forces 5th Group CIF (Combatant Commander's In-Extremis Force) used LaRue Stealth uppers. These uppers were used on their deployment to Iraq in 2007 to 2008. These uppers were called "Stealth" because they were made to mimic the Mk18 Mod 1 uppers, but with more accurate heavy barrels. Just like the Mk18's, these uppers have a 10.3" barrel and quad-rail handguard. The heavier barrel in the Stealth uppers allowed the CIF operators to transition from indoor CQB to outdoor longer-ranged engagements in the open desert.

This specific CIF unit had the very best of the best soldiers from 5th Group, and they were tasked with doing hits that Delta Force didn't have time to do. Delta was extremely busy and there were so many missions that they needed to train another unit to help out with these very specialized missions. I personally don't know anything about these units, so this is a guess from reading about the unit in online posts. So, if I have incorrect information, please feel free to correct it in this thread. That's about all that I was told, since the unit is pretty secretive (I think they're now called CRF, if they're even still around).

Apparently the 5th Group CIF wasn't supposed to be using these LaRue Stealth uppers or something like that. So, at the end of their deployment they had to do a 1:1 swap with these Stealth uppers for Crane NSWC made Mk18 Mod 1 uppers. A few weeks ago these 5th Group CIF used Stealth uppers were send from LaRue to Primary Arms. This has also led to an OPSEC/PERSEC issue for these 5th Group CIF soldiers.

Their names are on the cardboard boxes and this ties them to the CIF unit, and can possibly be used to dox them when they're currently working sensitive jobs. So, if anyone here has one of these original CIF used uppers, please don't post the name that's on the box or tag. Please don't dig into it, there's no reason that collectors would ever need information on these individual soldiers. It honestly crazy that these boxes and tags weren't sterilized before these uppers were sold, and some people in the SF community aren't too happy about it. So, please don't dox these guys if you have one of these uppers.

I missed out on the original Primary Arms sale of these historical uppers, so I've been scrambling to find some on the collector market. Unfortunately, this also means that I'm now paying a lot more for these uppers than what they originally sold for. Primary Arms sold each upper for about $1,000 and I've been paying about $2,000 per upper on average. The painted uppers are very rare and obviously command a higher price. I've heard that a few of these uppers have traded hands between collectors for $4,000 to $5,000, but I haven't completely confirmed this. These uppers have some absolutely amazing history, and they'll only go up in value. If a big gun-tuber like Garand Thumb ever does a video about these uppers and more collectors find out about them, expect them to double or triple in price from their current value. We've seen that happen with other original military surplus items, such as the M40A1 return stocks and the Mk13 DRMO stocks/chassis. Of you find one of these uppers for sale at a decent price (right now that would be under $3,000), buy it! Or let me know about it so that I can buy it, lol.

Here's my 3 unpainted uppers and my painted upper:

View attachment 8460100
    View attachment 8460102

Here's one of my original 5th Group CIF used LaRue Stealth uppers on an SBR lower. The Aimpoint T1 red dot sight is military surplus and has a UID engraving on the top side, but it's not correct for this upper and I only mounted it because I had it on hand. I need to find an older Eotech to put on the upper.

View attachment 8460115
    View attachment 8460119

Apparently some of these uppers also had silencers on them, but most of the soldiers didn't use the silencers when running missions inside buildings (they needed them as short as possible for indoor CQB, and the silencer made the rifle too long). I think the KAC NT4 might be correct for some of these 10.3" uppers with the 9" handguard, but the extremely rare version of the upper with 11.5" barrel 8.2" handguard that possibly used some kind of SureFire silencer. Here's one of my unpainted uppers with a KAC NT4 silencer:

View attachment 8460121
    View attachment 8460120

The painted rear sight that's on one of my unpainted uppers is actually a perfect match to the painted upper that was missing a rear sight. I couldn't believe that I had the missing painted rear sight on one of these unpainted uppers! So, that painted rear sight is now on the painted upper, it's an exact match! Most of the uppers also come with test targets (maybe 100 yard?) and their boxes were from the Mk18 CQBR uppers that the Stealth uppers were swapped out with. Also, these uppers are heavily used and are absolutely filthy! They were definitely used on a lot of missions and each upper probably has numerous terrorist/insurgant kills attached to it!

Any guns or gun parts that can be directly linked to a top tier Army unit are extremely rare! In addition to these coming from a top tier unit, most of these uppers have a name on the box and/or tag that can be traced back to an individual soldier. I don't think we'll ever see another item like this that can be traced back to a single user, so that really makes these uppers unique. I have quite a few original firearms and gun parts that were used by top tier Army units. and have that history documented in some way. One of these days I'd like to get a few photos of all those items together in my collection.

Did anyone else here get one of these original Army SF 5th Group CIF used LaRue Stealth uppers? If so, please post a few photos of it here in this thread (please remember to sterile the names in the photos). If anyone has one that they'd like to sell, please let me know as well. I have a few collector friends who would like to pick up one of these uppers, and I'm trying to help them locate a few uppers.

Hopefully you guys find these historical uppers to be interesting and hopefully other people here will have some photos and/or information to add to this thread! Please let me know if you guys want to see more photos of the uppers in my collection, I'd be happy to share more photos if needed!

The KAC would be the correct suppressor in all likelihood.

Very cool.... wish I'd known about them!

I'd have ordered one. What the heck!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I can help you find one of these uppers, if you need one. Shoot me a message if you're interested. I have 6 of these uppers now (some are still being shipped to me), and i'm always looking for more. These uppers are very significant to the history of GWOT, and it would be a great addition to your excellent collection!

Here's the most recent 5th Group upper that I've acquired. The test targets were each shot by Todd Hodnett (maybe at 100 yards?) when the uppers were returned to LaRue in 2008. LaRue tested fired these 30 or 40 (or however many) uppers to see how well their accuracy has held up. These uppers are heavily used and are very dirty (they test fired them without cleaning the upper or punching the bores), so it was a great way for the company to get real data on these combat used uppers. This 2.14" shot group is one of the best groups I've seen on a test target from one of these uppers.

I cleaned this upper very well, but I'm only cleaning this upper, the rest of the uppers in my collection are being left in their original dirty condition. I also removed the A2 flash hider from the barrel, and I replaced it with a KAC NT4 flash hider so that I could mount a KAC NT4 silencer. I'm looking forward to taking this upper to the range, and I'd like to shoot me own test target at 100 yards to see how accuracy this upper is.

1000013475.jpg

1000013476.jpg

1000013477.jpg

Here's this new upper with a KAC NT4 silencer on my GM Hydramatic clone lower (I still need to find the correct optic):

1000013473.jpg

1000013474.jpg

Does anyone else here have one of these 5th Group used LaRue Stealth uppers? I can't be the only person on this forum with these unique GWOT OIF uppers! If you have one of these original uppers, please post a few photos (please remember not to post any names that might be on the box and/or hang tag, OPSEC/PERSEC is always important).

Well, I think I now have enough of these historical uppers for my collection, lol. These uppers are amazing, and I still can't believe these were used by 5th Group and eventually released to the public! I hope that other collectors here were able to get some of these uppers.

1000013655.jpg
    1000013656.jpg

Some of these uppers were shot so much that the bead blasted in-the-white barrels actually turned a goldish tan color due to the heat from shooting it so much (at least that's what I'm assuming happened). The barrel on the left still has the silvery steel color, whereas the barrel on the right has the goldish tan color:

1000013657.jpg

All 5 of these uppers have test targets that were each fired by Todd Hodnett when LaRue received them from the Army in 2008. This was a unique way for LaRue to get data on some very well used uppers that they made for this specific SF group. Each test target (and the box these uppers came in) has a number on it. I numbered the uppers to their respective test targets in the photo below. The test targets don't look impressive, but remember that these groups were shot with uppers that had been used in war and each of them had many thousands of rounds fired through them. In addition to that, these uppers and the barrels were never cleaned before shooting the test targets, the barrel is only 10.3" long, and the targets were probably posted at 100 yards. All of these variables lead to targets that have groups measuring a few inches.

Each target has the group size written in red pen in the lower right corner of the sheet. The best target measures at 2.14" which is probably pretty good for even a new 10.3" long barrel at 100 yards. All of these uppers are still in their original dirty condition, except the upper at the very bottom of the stack. I thoroughly cleaned this upper and made sure the bore was extremely clean. I plan of shooting this upper at 100 yards to see how well it groups with good ammo and high magnification scope. I'll post the results when I take that upper to the range. Here are the uppers with their test targets:

1000013658.jpg

1000013659.jpg