• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

ot the " fat bastard 'Best Muzzle Brake IYHO

signut

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2003
SW Ohio
Looking to install a muzzle brake on an incoming TRG 338 rifle. What are your choices in brakes; have shot the " fat bastard ( ? )" on a friends .338 Lapua but sideblast was a bit much for fellow shooters . LMK what works ! Thanks for your time. jim

Re: ot the " fat bastard 'Best Muzzle Brake IYHO

Fat Bastard is the way to go for a .338 brake. I have one on my AIAW and it's works remarkably well. Pretty much knocks the recoil down to a .308.

There is no way you can have a muzzle brake that works well and not direct the muzzle blast to the area around you (other shooters)... it's simple physics. Unless you are running a suppressor, the blast needs to go someplace to offset the recoil impulse.

I highly recommend the Fat Bastard.

L1080555.jpg

L1080553.jpg

+1. There no way to get around the back blast, if some one is shooting nxt to me with a brake I'll either move or not sweat it. If I've got one on a rifle I'll try to go of to the side.

Put a little bastard on a 300 wm, could not believe the difference. It knocked down the recoil of 190's too less than a 308.

I have the NEAR brake on my TRG42, and it is far, far, far less obnoxious to others next to me than the bastard, though the only experience I have with the bastard, is the little bastard my partner has on his 308. It blows my hat off.

Thus, I can't speak intelligently of the recoil differences between a TRG42 with NEAR vs fat bastard brake. But, I can say my TRG is easy to shoot over and over again with the NEAR. Even the concussion is more tolerable than my partners 308 with the bastard.

Good luck.

I find it funny that people complain about the side blast. I was shooting with a friend this weekend and the way the shooting lanes were set up I was forward of his position so I was at the muzzle of the rifle. He was shooting a DTA 338LM with the 2 chamber DTA brake and I was not able to shoot at the same time b/c the concussion was heavy. However except for the large ammounts of debris getting blown on me I had no complaints whial using hearing protection. I guess some people like to bitch.

Jered emailed me some info; said he could make the FB to fit the factory SAKO TRG 18mmx1 for a slight upcharge. having been behind one of these brakes, I know they work, Still open to ideas...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: signut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jered emailed me some info; said he could make the FB to fit the factory SAKO TRG 18mmx1 for a slight upcharge. having been behind one of these brakes, I know they work, Still open to ideas... </div></div>

I use Elite Iron Max Tac muzzel brake on my 300 Win. Mag. and it works well. It's caliber specific and available up to 50 cal.

It's the top picture.

http://eliteiron.net/elite-iron-MuzzleBrakes.html

I believe that it vents the expanding gasses 15 degrees up and 15 degrees back.

I used to have a 300 Ultra Mag with a FB brake. It is the best brake i've ever used. The rifle would hardly move, but your sinuses would be clear from the concussive blast.

Have a Fat Bastard on the 338LM that Jered put together for me and it is very effective, recoil is about what my 308 feels like. Definitely recommend it.

Get the fat bastard they are great. My 338 rogue has less recoil then a 308. Imo they are the best breaks.

I've got the Little Fat Bastard, it works out great. They are effective at reducing the recoil, allowing you to follow through and watch the round impact point. I need to pick up another one for M4 in 6.8.