Out to 1800 caliber

Well, three 6.5 variants went 1,2,3, in hunter class at the nightforce ELR match in Wyoming. Two of them tied for the overall win. NONE of them were creedmoors. I think a 7 rem mag would work to 1800.

Someone should have told a few of these guys about 6.5 cal. The one big thing that lays waste to well laid plans is wind. I shoot my 7 saum to 2075 often enough, it does fine in little or constant winds.

Attachments

• KO2M.png
    KO2M.png
    758 KB · Views: 85
I shoot a lot out to and passed 1800 yards. The smallest i shoot at that distance is 300wm which will easily get the job done. If you looking just to shoot out to that distance a 7mm will work but if you really are serious I would look at the 300PRC . I know guys that are shooting it over 2000 yards with good success. It has factory ammo available so you would not even need to reload if you didn't want to.

Reactions: camotoe and MOUNTIC
I’ve shot my 260 that far. I will say there are much better choices. I got hits but a faster 284 variant would be my choice. Or a bigger 30 cal 300 WM etc

My 338 LM did that distance like a champ but at a higher cost

I’ve always wanted to build a short mag in 7mm or 300 for suppressed long range capabilities. But my 300 WM’s fit the bill as well

I’ve shot my 260 that far. I will say there are much better choices. I got hits but a faster 284 variant would be my choice. Or a bigger 30 cal 300 WM etc

My 338 LM did that distance like a champ but at a higher cost

I’ve always wanted to build a short mag in 7mm or 300 for suppressed long range capabilities. But my 300 WM’s fit the bill as well

The 338’s definitely make it easier with wind and spotting misses and hits.

Spotting Hits and misses with a 260 at 1700 is tough.

Someone should have told a few of these guys about 6.5 cal. The one big thing that lays waste to well laid plans is wind. I shoot my 7 saum to 2075 often enough, it does fine in little or constant winds.
That’s a little farther than 1800 yards. And goes to show, no matter what you shoot, it doesn’t guarantee a hit.

The 338’s definitely make it easier with wind and spotting misses and hits.

Spotting Hits and misses with a 260 at 1700 is tough.

Ya for mine I had someone drive there to check it when I thought I hit. There was absolutely nothing left for energy when the bullet hit. Something like 64 MOA on trajectory if I remember correctly

I had a 8.5 tw. Broughton ordered when I herd ADG was going to make 7mag brass.
I am now disabled and brass is on line.
Obviously I would say yes and had a bullet in mind which should be “affordable”

Last weekend I took my 300 PRC and a friend took his (shot out) 7mm rem mag. I was shooting 225's and 230's, he was shooting 180 ELDM's. His barrel being torched gave him MV spreads that limited success past 1200yd, but we both made several hits on the 1630yd target, and a couple each on the 1857yd target. Gusty wind kicked both of our asses on the far plate (24x24"). Doesn't take much change to throw you off the left or right edge.

So yeah, it'll make it, and you can see splash for the most part-- however, we did have 2 of his shots we couldn't see impact at all. Not so with the .300. I've heard as much from folks who've shot/spotted for the 250 A-tips as well. Much better impacts in dirt at range.

Last weekend I took my 300 PRC and a friend took his (shot out) 7mm rem mag. I was shooting 225's and 230's, he was shooting 180 ELDM's. His barrel being torched gave him MV spreads that limited success past 1200yd, but we both made several hits on the 1630yd target, and a couple each on the 1857yd target. Gusty wind kicked both of our asses on the far plate (24x24"). Doesn't take much change to throw you off the left or right edge.

So yeah, it'll make it, and you can see splash for the most part-- however, we did have 2 of his shots we couldn't see impact at all. Not so with the .300. I've heard as much from folks who've shot/spotted for the 250 A-tips as well. Much better impacts in dirt at range.

That bullet weight is a big factor for spotting

Even slow 300 grain 338’s kick up a lot of Dirt.

My 284 shehane hits at a mile pretty decent. I don’t see why more speed wouldn’t help

I had the same experience with my .284 Shehane shooting 180 Hybrids & thought the same thing. So, I bought another bolt & had one of my extra Shehane barrels re-chambered into 28 Nosler. Now 195’s over 3150 makes hits even more frequently.

Reactions: Geno C.