• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Oxidized Ammo

Hawaiian SRS-A1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Legend
Mar 12, 2017
I have about 200 rounds of Hornady 6.5CM and 200 300 PRC that looks oxidized and even the projectiles look dull. I went to the range and shot two rounds. (6.5cm) The rifle was brand new and both rounds fired but the cases were stuck and the primers were blown out. A couple of guys said my reloads were to hot but i told them this was factory ammo. One guy gave me two rounds of his and they shot fine with no issues. When a couple more guys came around they said the ammo is no good. They said it shouldn't look like that. Ammo is about 5 years old and was stored in my house in a cabinet. It was also stored with Federal ammo same caliber but those look brand new still (6 years old). My question is has anyone cleaned them up? The guys at our local range said to dump it. I saw some videos on YouTube where they use vinegar and salt. I want to know if this is safe to do and does it work or is there something better to do? Will it fire? I just cant see dumping about 400 rounds unless it is not safe to use or if it may damage my rifles.
Thanks guys!!

I would break one of the rounds down to make sure there hasn't been internal degradation of the components, most namely powder. Based on your screen name it would seem that you live in a high-temperature, high moisture environment. This is horrible for storage of ammunition in a uncontrolled environment. I have fired ammunition with external tarnishing but never experienced the high pressure issues you are describing.