• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Penrod Precision

Re: Penrod Precision

First hand (kinda)

My brother has a 6.5x284 built by Mr. Penrod = Awesome

Two of the guys I shoot with every week have multiple rifles that have been worked on or built from scratch from him and they will go to no one else.

My opinion based on the above is he is very good at what he does, I would not hesitate to send him any of my rifles.

I have a 40X re-barreled by Mr. Penrod. The work on the action and the barrel is excellent. It was going to be my cross training rifle, but have not had the time to bed it in the silhouette stock.

Sure for over a decade. One of the nation's most skilled gunsmiths. Many of smiths we read about right hear at SH don't offer the services that Mark does, routinely. He has barreled actions for the Bench crowd for decades, many top champions use his work. Top notch, you found a BR legend.

Here is a massive blank that Mark turned into a Penrod 25-06. That his modified 25-06 AI. The blank, a Lilja, was custom spun so that the scope rail could be milled out of the barrel blank. That's right, the platform you see there is part of the barrel blank. Yep, the swivel as well, milled. Then? Then it goes from octagon, to round with an invisible taper and then to fluted. SImply magnificent work in all regards. When I bet on targets past 500, this is the rifle I show up with.

Allan Hall Receiver, himself a BR National Champ (1,000 yard) uses Lilja barrels done by Mark. With his Model H (smallest, fewest parts extant)you don't have to move the receiver off to reload, just touch the lever. And get this, no screws or pins on the receiver sides. Incredible.

Mark Wills made the stock, another legend, incredible work.

Have fun, you knocked it! Wait, long. Cost, depends on work done. Quality, I've only ever seen as good.

futuresharps.jpg

PENROD25-06.jpg

open.jpg

Thanks, Mark does great work, every time I take that rifle out its a pleasure and never stops stupifying me with the results.

Here are a few more shots.

The transition work on the barrel

nnhh8.jpg

The concave and relieved crown work..

IMG_0640.jpg

knowing this thread is about Penrod, I still want to post a couple on this Hall Model F. The receiver is good for rimmed or rimless, is less than 3" long, weighs 1.7lbs, handles 22 thru 300 win mag no problem, allows for a low scope. Fully adjustable integral trigger (his) inline striker. You can see the barrel meat left here.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Only problem? Not made anymore....

Wow, that is indeed some incredible work.
Think that I will be giving him a call.
How does the Penrod 25-06 compare to the AI or the std 25-06 on a performance basis?
25-06 is actually the caliber that I had in mind when I started the thread?

Wow that is quite a work of art. On a smaller scale, I recently had Mark fix the feeding and trigger on my FN SPR A3G. He did great work for a reasonable price and the turn around time was good. I've literally never heard anything negative about him or his work. He is reputed to be one of the very best there is at working on Model 70's by the way and does a lot of work on hunting rifles as well.

I spoke to Mark today. Sounds like a great guy and from what I have seen on this and other sites, one hell of a smith. He said that a complete rifle would be about 8-9 months. Thats actially less than I expected.
He will be getting my work for sure.
Thanks for everyones input on this thread.

Have multiple rem700 based rifle built by Mr. Penrod. Started doing business with him about 15 years ago.

There may be many riflesmiths as good as he, but certainly none better.

Mr. Penrod's clock is calibrated in "earth years" whereas many smiths of his extraordinary talents are in "pluto years". You will have your rifle in a variable, but reasonable time. He has always told me about what his current turn-around times are, and has always delivered within that time frame.

Do not expect a "sales job". He will forthrightly, and thoroughly, discuss the all aspects of the project, make some recommendations, then let you make the choice.

Highly recommended by yours truly.

Mark Penrod

Mark has built three rifles for me, all on Remington 700 rifles. They are a Rem 6BR, 221 Fireball and 221 AI. They are the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. His work is superb. He will discuss the facts with you and explain his opinions. He will not try to talk you into or out of your opinions, just provide the fact.

Okay, I realize I'm new to this Forum, but this Rifle Builder, Mark Penrod built a rifle in collaboration with IPSS (Indiana Precision Shooting Services of Leo, Indiana, which is a Suburb of Fort Wayne). The 2 owners of IPSS are great guys who just broke out into the Retail market I believe within the last year or so and have been swamped with business, largely in part due to their skill but also their knowledge of all types of weaponry (but particularly guns like what I bought), a Mark Penrod Built Special Edition Remington 700, that really doesn't have a lot of Remington 700 left in it. It's got a 5R Tactical bull Barrel (Crowned, Stainless & Free Floating) on a McMillan fiberglass bead stock (VERY BEAUTIFUL RIFLE) with a Harris Bipod, custom-milled scope rings to fit the unbelievably accurate & easy-to-use Leupold 6.5-20x50mm Scope that was zeroed in by one of the 2 owners of IPSS who specializes in Custom Built Sniper Rifles (His name is: Matt Rusher & he & his partner complement each other very well with Matt being an expert on Rifles such as this & competition pistols, & Wayne being more on the Tactical Side of the Gunsmithing). These guys are true pro's & only serve to bring what was already a near perfect rifle to market with not a single nick of anything sub-par. That's what makes Mark Penrod so renowned all over the U.S., but now with IPSS involved, and let me tell you, you'll never meet more of a perfectionist than Matt Rusher. Truly a man who won't let anything leave the shop until it's absolutely perfect, but I don't want you to simply take my word for it.... I'm going to upload some photos too, and when I get a chance I'll upload some video as this past weekend was the first weekend I had a chance to really see how far this rifle would maintain it's accuracy. I took it out to see a friend in Colorado & at an 800yd Range I pulled off 3 shots less than an inch apart from any one of the other. With the wind that day & the high altitude I was concerned since it was clearly a big factor, but I did use handloaded ammo (by IPSS) and a heavier round, but that being said it still took some adjustment to get the setting correct on the scope, but once I dialed it in it was truly a thing of beauty and grace that I don't think I could have pulled off with ANY OTHER RIFLE I'VE EVER OWNED, and I've had some nice ones over the years. I spent a lot, but I got a lot for my money.

So for all of what I have to say and for my money, I can certainly say without a doubt that Mark Penrod builds a spectacular, show quality rifle that shoots as good if not better than it looks! Please see attached photos..

Thanks and I hope you'll all welcome me to your forum...Penrod-IPSS .308 Custom Sniper Rifle...1.jpg

Not sure my last post got all the photos I uploaded...

I believe my last post only took the 1st of 5 photos I wanted to upload of my Mark Penrod/IPSS Remington 700 custom Built Sniper Rifle, so I'm going to try again, this time not using the "QUICK REPLY":

Here is 1 more of the 5 photos I had to shrink down to make fit (the other 3 I wanted to show simply couldn't be shrunk without losing a lot of detail & quality). Also, the forum limits the size of photos per post to 1mp if I'm not mistaken, so I'm really limited and don't want to post 5 redundant posts. Feel free to email me if you'd like more up close & detailed photos. This was over $3k, but makes the 100yd range seem like a 10yd range with coke bottles and a Wilson Combat 1911. It's almost not fair! It really is unbelieably accurate to the point that it can make a good shooter great and a great shooter a champion. I just don't know any better way to put it!

Thanks,
Andrew

Penrod-IPSS .308 Custom Sniper Rifle...UNDER 1MP...3.jpg

I have a little 40X he did with a full stock and beautiful wood. Shoots 1/4” groups all day with good ammo.

Attachments

• 6816CFBC-BCA2-4A49-AED7-A768DF5AF208.jpeg
    6816CFBC-BCA2-4A49-AED7-A768DF5AF208.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 119
Anyone want buy it]

Attachments

• F50FD89F-1615-4680-9575-BA459636AD4C.jpeg
    F50FD89F-1615-4680-9575-BA459636AD4C.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 256
  • A65F290E-4F78-4093-BC85-BEA53607BEDE.jpeg
    A65F290E-4F78-4093-BC85-BEA53607BEDE.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 217