• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PGW Coyote or CADEX R7 in 6.5CM - accuracy

Tremor3

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2019
Canada - Quebec
Hi,
From your experience. which one is the more precise of those rifles in 6.5 CM ?
PGW coyote or the CADEX R7

1595047330411.png

i used to have a 260 rem coyote,it was the most accurate rifle i ever had,every bullet i tried ,from 107 to 147 grs shooted well under 1/2 MOA.
i used it mostly for varminting at long range,
sold it because was to heavy to carry in the field after a shoulder injury ..

Reactions: Tremor3
No experience with the coyote, but everything I've owned from Cadex has been extremely accurate except one .300 win mag barrel for my kraken. They replaced it, no questions asked with a barrel that hammered! What more can you ask for from a company? Cadex gets my vote.

Are you located in Canada?

If it was me, I would skip both and have Insite Arms build a rifle to my exact preferences. Neither PGW nor Cadex build rifles exactly to my preference, but that's me.

Otherwise, people have been happy with either brand. What exactly are you looking for? What are you going to do with the rifle, and at what distances? What cartridges are you looking at?

Are you located in Canada?

If it was me, I would skip both and have Insite Arms build a rifle to my exact preferences. Neither PGW nor Cadex build rifles exactly to my preference, but that's me.

Otherwise, people have been happy with either brand. What exactly are you looking for? What are you going to do with the rifle, and at what distances? What cartridges are you looking at?
Yep, Canuck here. Got acces to few shooting spots . A friend sugar shack where we setup 600 400 100 yds gongs. And living close Valcartier military base, we got 600yds and 400-2500m ranges.

i intend this rifle to replace my 308 custom Rem700 ATRS build which I love.
Lookin at 260 or 6.5cm

like the style of pgw. Want A6.5 variant of CF c14 338.

or

cadex r7 bartlein barreled action in a AX accuracy international chassis

Yep, Canuck here. Got acces to few shooting spots . A friend sugar shack where we setup 600 400 100 yds gongs. And living close Valcartier military base, we got 600yds and 400-2500m ranges.

i intend this rifle to replace my 308 custom Rem700 ATRS build which I love.
Lookin at 260 or 6.5cm

like the style of pgw. Want A6.5 variant of CF c14 338.

or

cadex r7 bartlein barreled action in a AX accuracy international chassis

I prefer the general style of the McM stocked PGW's over the Cadex's, from a pure aesthetic standpoint. I'm not a fan of Cadex aesthetics. However, I think Cadex has a much more refined and feature rich chassis then PGW's chassis.

If you get along with the McM A5 stock, the PGW is a decent rifle. If you prefer chassis', then the Cadex has a much more modern and well thought out/refined chassis.

Both will shoot good, it's really a matter of features and what you want in regards to that.

Reactions: Tremor3
I prefer the general style of the McM stocked PGW's over the Cadex's, from a pure aesthetic standpoint. I'm not a fan of Cadex aesthetics. However, I think Cadex has a much more refined and feature rich chassis then PGW's chassis.

If you get along with the McM A5 stock, the PGW is a decent rifle. If you prefer chassis', then the Cadex has a much more modern and well thought out/refined chassis.

Both will shoot good, it's really a matter of features and what you want in regards to that.

totally agree. But if I go cadex , Iam thinking of their r7 action ( Remington footprint ) and use an AX chassis of accuracy international. Have it on my 338, great ergonomics and not those weird « futuristic overdesigned lines » of a cadex chassis. Still, all a matter of tastes.
Cadex are amazing rifles with a competitive Price point IMO

did you own a pgw?
Did got the chance to try and figure by myself .

I have a Coyote in .308win. I am currently having it re-barrelled with a new pipe. It is an extremely accurate rig. That 24" barrel is a weak point IMHO. Mine is the chassis version. Also, the factory brake is a joke. The one in the photo below is not the OEM brake. And that stupid proprietary magazine is so short, that seating long just won't work with magazine feeding. I don't mind. I single feed because of the length I seat.
DSCN9884.jpg

(sorry for the crappy quality of the picture)
My go to bullet with the short barrel was the 155gr Lapua Scenar. With 47.2gr of Varget below that bullet, it gave me just above 3000fps speeds. The rifle is better than 1/3moa right out to a kilometre or so before it transitions.
I don't have any experience with the Cadex R7. But I do own 3 Cadex chassis custom builds. I love them. I think you can't go wrong with either choice. But I would say the PGW is the more robust rig. That action (modelled after the model 70) is sweet. After 3k rounds and much abuse, it is still as smooth as butter and as tight as any I've seen.
I am really looking forward to the new barrel finished at 28" with my new bullet choice (185gr Juggernaught). I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curt_SK and Tremor3
totally agree. But if I go cadex , Iam thinking of their r7 action ( Remington footprint ) and use an AX chassis of accuracy international. Have it on my 338, great ergonomics and not those weird « futuristic overdesigned lines » of a cadex chassis. Still, all a matter of tastes.
Cadex are amazing rifles with a competitive Price point IMO

did you own a pgw?
Did got the chance to try and figure by myself .

Never owned a PGW, though have plenty of friends that own or have owned them. Decent rifles, with a neat CF heritage. I think the chassis that they use is pretty outdated and lacks a lot of features, and how they incorporated that pistol grip looks straight up hokey. Though that's not an issue if you get the McM A5 stock.

Reactions: Curt_SK
I have a Coyote in .308win. I am currently having it re-barrelled with a new pipe. It is an extremely accurate rig. That 24" barrel is a weak point IMHO. Mine is the chassis version. Also, the factory brake is a joke. The one in the photo below is not the OEM brake. And that stupid proprietary magazine is so short, that seating long just won't work with magazine feeding. I don't mind. I single feed because of the length I seat.

eh! Thanks for your comments @6MT , helps make my mind :)
So I finally went with that PGW in a McMillan A5 with a 26 1/8twist 6.5 CM barrel.
It is a genuine pleasure to shoot, 0.75 - 0.25 benchrest at 100m. 0.5moa 3 shot groups at 660m! A fuckin sexy gun on top of that.

Shooting 6.5 CM so recoil is very manageable but I am not much impressed by this muzzle brake either. Nice IMO but not that good. Wanted to put my old 308 MB but surprise... not a 5/8x24 !!! What is the thread on those bastards?

Magazines.. bottom metal magwell was damn too tight. So I removed paint and polished it. This is going to be my PRS rig so it is was a big issue. Plus I had trouble feeding from magazine too with 139gr Scenar Bullets blocking in the feed ramp.
I'll try this and hope it helps (maybe you too)

Reactions: Curt_SK