Rifle Scopes Pick one: Nightforce NX8 4-32, Leupold Mk 5HD 5-25, Vortex Razor AMG 6-24

keenedge

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2020
Hi all, another new guy. ;) I've read/researched things here at the Hide for years, gained a lot of insight for shooting and building rifles. Time to pull the trigger and join!

Question: You have a 6.5 CM LR rig set up, and have narrowed down to three optics choices that get good reviews, are in the budget, and you're good with all the on-paper specs. For anyone who's compared 2 or more of these optics, which would you pick, and why?
  1. Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1 (reticle: Mil-XT or Tremor)
  2. Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 MIL (reticle: Illuminated Front Focal Tremor)
  3. Vortex RAZOR HD AMG 6-24X50 FFP (reticle: EBR-7b MRAD)
Background
* The rifle. Tikka T3x 6.5 CM customized by Clayton at West Texas Ordnance, running XLR Element 3.0 and NF NX8 2.5-20. Range tested by them and me with excellent results, and love the NX8. But need a higher magnification range, and plan to move the NX8 to a 6.5 Grendel AR.

* The optic choices. Realize they're all solid, and "you won't go wrong with any of these." I've read quite a few reviews here, elsewhere. There's even some threads that compare 2 of them, like this one. But I haven't found quite enough info yet to pull the trigger on one of these. There are a few quirks in each, and some differences. I could use the wisdom and recommendation of folks who have actually compared any 2 or more of these optics.

Last edited:
I've had all 3 the mk5 is a great scope, the AMG tunneled badly and broke twice.
I just got an NX8 4-32 to replace the AMG and I really like it.
I've used it quite a bit over the past week and a half and it's impressive in low light.
I can make out deer at 600 yards past legal shooting light.

I'll compare it to my MK5 tomorrow evening for a good low light test.
Here's a pic on 24x through the NX8 of a herd of elk at 900 hundred yards that I took 1/2 hour before dark this evening.
My shitty phone doesn't come close to doing the scope justice..
IMG_20200819_194337846.jpg

I did a low light comparison with the mk5 5-25 and my NX8 4-32 tonight and the NX8 was surprisingly much better.
The mk5 was at Max power, and the NX8 was just past 24x for this test.

The image clarity really suffered with the mk5 when it got dim while the NX8 was still crisp, I was able to clearly make out targets at 600 yards until almost dark and the reticle was much easier to see than the pr1-moa.

The NX8 is the better scope in my experience, it's really impressing me with it's image quality and compact size
Here they are side by side
IMG_20200820_202930407.jpg

You have on your list a few of the best and can't go wrong with anyone, I have personally used all three scopes and they are top notch IMHO.
If i had to recommend you the scope with the best glass my pick would be mk5 hd.

Great thread so far, I am currently in the market for potentially the mark 5HD except in the 7-35x variant. Looking forward to see other input between this scope and the NF. Currently running a razor 4.5-27 and can't complain with it either.

I did a low light comparison with the mk5 5-25 and my NX8 4-32 tonight and the NX8 was surprisingly much better.
The mk5 was at Max power, and the NX8 was just past 24x for this test.

The image clarity really suffered with the mk5 when it got dim while the NX8 was still crisp, I was able to clearly make out targets at 600 yards until almost dark and the reticle was much easier to see than the pr1-moa.

The NX8 is the better scope in my experience, it's really impressing me with it's image quality and compact size
Here they are side by side
View attachment 7404042

That's really impressive considering the NF's 50 mm objective vs. LP's 56.

My only complaint on my 4-32 is my bolt hits the mag knob above 24x. I could just remove it but I love it and I rarely go over 24x unless I'm 'spotting' or shooting groups.

That's really impressive considering the NF's 50 mm objective vs. LP's 56.

My only complaint on my 4-32 is my bolt hits the mag knob above 24x. I could just remove it but I love it and I rarely go over 24x unless I'm 'spotting' or shooting groups.
Yeah I was pretty surprised that the NX8 was better in low light, it really wasn't even close in my opinion one was still usable and one was not.
The glass is all around better than the mk5 to my eyes

Yeah I was pretty surprised that the NX8 was better in low light, it really wasn't even close in my opinion one was still usable and one was not.
The glass is all around better than the mk5 to my eyes

My NX8 also out performed a 56mm objective LOW made scope in low light. I read a review here that basically stated the 56mm objective is no longer needed to gather light like it once was. I'm sure there's many other reasons for a 56mm objective but apparently gathering more light is not one of them anymore.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Thanks for the comments and side-by-side with the NX8/Mk5, it was down to those 2. I ordered the NX8 w/ Mil-XT. In the end the reticle was appealing, plus I like the way my other NX8 2.5-20 is built. I'll admit the eye box is a little tricky but I'm adapting to it.

^@Jefe: Do you have a link to that review about the 56mm? Sounds interesting.

Reactions: Friday
Thanks for the comments and side-by-side with the NX8/Mk5, it was down to those 2. I ordered the NX8 w/ Mil-XT. In the end the reticle was appealing, plus I like the way my other NX8 2.5-20 is built. I'll admit the eye box is a little tricky but I'm adapting to it.

^@Jefe: Do you have a link to that review about the 56mm? Sounds interesting.

The scope itself is on the smaller side for this magnification range. It features a mid size 50mm objective and is 13.8″ and long, 27.3oz. I am a fan of smaller objective, lighter weight optics. I have the general opinion that traditional objective sizes have never adjusted to the incredible light transmission gains that current generation lens coatings have made possible and this has left many scope makers manufacturing huge, heavy, scopes that gain little additional low light capabilities for all that added weight.

I have both a 2.5-20 NX8 and the 3.6-18 mk5. Going to have to do a low light test on those two tonight now. My Nx8 is in MOA and I’ve been thinking about swapping it out for another mk5. I feel like the mk5 glass is a little better under normal light but I’ll really have to compare them tonight. Thanks for making me rethink. Lol

I have both a 2.5-20 NX8 and the 3.6-18 mk5. Going to have to do a low light test on those two tonight now. My Nx8 is in MOA and I’ve been thinking about swapping it out for another mk5. I feel like the mk5 glass is a little better under normal light but I’ll really have to compare them tonight. Thanks for making me rethink. Lol

Any updates on the low light test

All have a stellar warranty.
I really wanted 35mil elevation so using a 20moa base I wouldn't have to hold over at a mile. That ruled out the NX8 (26mil).
The Vortex is a heavy bastard notwithstanding actually having to use the warranty (YMMV)
That brought me to the MK5 5-25 T3 as the obvious choice... and made in Merica!

Reactions: ShotgunDiesel
I do agree with the made in America bit. I was surprised when I read made in Japan on the NX8. The NX8 has digilum which as far as illumination goes kicks ass. 🤷🏼‍♂️ You won’t be upset either way you choose.

Can’t Go wrong with Nightforce, Vortex has market best warranty and odds are you will use it, had many Vortex scopes sent everyone back for some reason or another, switched over to Nightforce haven’t had an issue since.

Don’t have anything bad to say about Leupold ether though,

As for Mil XT I will be seeing how I like it as my new 7x35 atacr will be here tomorrow with Mil XT

I vote Nightforce!!!

Can’t Go wrong with Nightforce, Vortex has market best warranty and odds are you will use it, had many Vortex scopes sent everyone back for some reason or another, switched over to Nightforce haven’t had an issue since.

Don’t have anything bad to say about Leupold ether though,

As for Mil XT I will be seeing how I like it as my new 7x35 atacr will be here tomorrow with Mil XT

I vote Nightforce!!!
The mil xt is freaking awesome. The CCH is also awesome. Lol. Damnit, buy both.

I own the Nightforce NX8 4-32 with the Mil-C reticle and I'm really happy with it. I've not really had any serious issues with the eye box everyone complains about - but I do have the gun set up correctly so my eye is in the right position every time. I've also shot the Tikka several times - very nice rifle.

I also own its big brother - the ATACR 7-35 in Mil-C and it is a bit nicer, but I look at the NX8 like its smaller brother. Smaller size, a bit less weight but still very capable.

I've shot the Razor 4.5-25 quite a bit and also the Leupold, but overall I prefer the Nightforce scopes. Honestly any of those scopes will get you out to 1000 yards, but I find the extra magnification on the NF comes in handy for two things: milling small targets and making a wind call from mirage. For that reason alone I would buy the higher power NF.

I asked a similar question to a friend that builds high end precision rifles for a living, he steered me in the NX8 direction, especially because of the military discount. I think they're about $1550 after discount.