Piggyback Red Dot Mount

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    The T-Rex Arms offset Aimpoint mount I had wasn't really working for me on my SPRecce with the NF 4-16 ATACR. So I started looking at some different solutions, an Arisaka offset mount was one of them but I also wanted to give a piggy back mount another go. The trouble was that the two 34mm options I found were $150-$170 which was a bit much for something I may not even like. However, I found a cheap option on Amazon, a Monstrum 34mm piggyback picatinny mount for a whopping $21.

This isn't a review so much as my observations, for being a MIC product the quality isn't bad, the finish is consistent, the fasteners appeared to be good enough, even the small screws holding the rail to the ring cap. I had about 1" from the front of the ring to the start of the objective bell and this mount fit perfectly in between, I'd say it's probably .90" or so wide. There are two mounted positions for the rail so it can be biased toward the front or the rear towards the turret. On my set up, having it biased towards the rear was too close to the turret for me but forward put it a bit close to the objective bell so I filed it down for more clearance.

NF piggyback red dot.jpg

Height from scope center to top of the picatinny is about 1 3/8", which puts the Sig 2" above scope center line with the low mount as shown. I zeroed it at 100 yards without any drama and it stayed put throughout the range trip so I'll chalk that up to a win in my book. I have to say the 12:00 set up is growing on me but I think I'd like something where the red dot is more directly mounted instead of a series of fasteners so I might start giving the LT787 and Reptilia options a closer look.

The HOB above and zeroed at 100 yards means that of course I need to hold high A-Zone inside of 50 yards but I'm basically a dead hold from there until about 200+ yards and at 300 I'd be holding about the shoulder line on a BC plate.

Reactions: stanley_white