• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing pillar dim?

jfkdiver

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
lafayette, la
can someone tell me how tall a pillar is please.
they have all kinds of adjustable ones out there but if you are going to make them yourself i need a spec. so it's a 5/8th hole in the stock and a rem 700 is avg 1.355 OD... so .605-.615OD, .270 thru hole for the bolt on the post, but good starting point on length??? like 1/2 on frt and 1 inch on rear or what?

i could take my gun apart but i'm hoping someone just saids
"make then XXX and XXX then you don't have to shave off much for final fit"

So what you guys got for me????

thanks for the help..
justin

Re: pillar dim?

Pillar height is often dictated by the bottom metal. If you're running a DBM like Badger M5 or Surgeon, there are specific dimensions that you have to use so it feeds from the magazine correctly.

Re: pillar dim?

Ok thanks guys... I understand all that. I'm just looking for a minim length here so I can rough some. Stocks on the way. While I had the mill set up I just wanted to knock out a bunch of blanks with the 1.400 Dia on the end to save time. But it's ok I can just make a bunch extra long. And turn them down to spec later like I planed to.

Later guys.