• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol carry in my 5.11 Rush Messenger bag?

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
I admit it, I use my 5.11 Rush messenger bag as a man purse whenever we go on a trip somewhere. I keep whatever chargers, cables, iPad/devices, flashlights, prescriptions, Leatherman, etc. and other little personal shit that seems to accumulate in it. And of course I usually pack a pistol in - I switch it up, could be compact 9, full size 9 or a small revolver. Even though the messenger bag has a lot of pockets I've done a poor job keeping organized so half the stuff including my pistol tend to sink to the bottom (pistol will be in a carry holster).

Any suggestions on a way to stow my pistol in the bag so it is separate from other gear yet quickly accessible? None of the pockets really seem supportive.

Doesn’t it have a pocket specific to pistol concealment? These pockets often have a “loop panel” so that a holster can be “Velcro” secured in the pocket.

It has different pockets in it but none seemed solid enough to support the weight of a pistol. It does have a wall of velcro inside but I'm not familiar with any type of holster or suspension system I can make use of. Are there holsters with velcro ?

Just continue on body carry.

IWB/OWB, whatever you do everyday.

Why would you change up your normal carry just for "...whenever we go on a trip somewhere.."?

Doesn't make much sense. Would sort of make sense if you don't carry everyday. Kind of. Maybe.? In that case, start carrying everyday.

Not a fan of off body carry. Suppose it may have a place. Dunno what that is tho.

It has different pockets in it but none seemed solid enough to support the weight of a pistol. It does have a wall of velcro inside but I'm not familiar with any type of holster or suspension system I can make use of. Are there holsters with velcro ?
I will avoid the philosophies and just stick to adressing the OP question.
Here are some velcro and non-velcro options. The velcro is nice as you can orient your gear in an unlimited manner, unlike a MOLLE type internal system where it dictates a 90 orientation to the attached gear. The grey pack is a Blue Force Gear Jedburgh model. pack is a Vertx commuter that has every space lined with velcro for utilizing their Origami system. You can also fabricate a firm backing plate round / square from electrical box polymer covers attaching velcro, this offers a nice intermediate attachment system for a few bucks that will also create a firm wall for stability in a soft pack. The Safariland QLS / ELS attachment system can be used for gear as well for internal MOLLE packs. Using clip-on holsters eases the transition of carry choices. Just a few ideas for your project.

IMG_3021.jpg
IMG_3020.jpg
IMG_3018.jpg
IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3023.jpg
IMG_3025.jpg
IMG_0691Safariland QLS Velcro Backing Plates Blue Force Gear Jedburgh Pack 09.13.21  copy.jpg
IMG_0690Safariland QLS Velcro Backing Plates Blue Force Gear Jedburgh Pack 09.13.21 .jpg
IMG_4959 copy.jpg
CIMG2929 copy 3.JPG
CIMG2930a copy 3.jpg

Last edited: