• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Pistol under $600, please advise.

fredreded

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2008
NW Kansas
A good friend of mine is wanting to buy a pistol for under $600 and asked me for advice. I repeat, $600 is the very top side of what he can spend. I am partial to Sigs and HKs so I am not well versed in other options and as such not much help.

To help you give good advice, here is what I know about him:

He is a long time hunter and trap/skeet shooter but is on the newer end to rifle and pistol sport shooting.

He is a smaller framed guy so he doesn't like pistols that have very large grips (like the USP 45 tactical).

He doesn't like Glocks.

He wants a semiauto.

He shot my HK USP 45 compact and liked it a great deal.

I think he wants something that is high cap and that can be DA/SA, but may be open to the venerable 1911 design.

He wants something with a rail.

I think he is open to caliber but probably will choose either 9mm or 45acp for availability.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Pistol under $600, please advise.

I was at my local fun store and they had a used Sig for $550. P226, .40 S&W, night sites, rail. Wish I could take it home myself. I would recommend he shops around the used pistol case and get what he wants.

Has he shot a Glock or just listened to folks whine about them? I'd have him go rent & shoot a variety of pistols of find someone with a bunch of different ones and shoot them all. You just can't pick one up and wave it around at the gunstore and know if you like it or not.
I would have recommended the Glock but I'm partial to them. The XD or Smith M&P series are nice as they have a variety of grip designs to interchange, some nice features and function well. However, I like the Glock 17's Gen III.

Hook him up with an XDm or a Smith & Wesson M&P series. Those are both great guns for the money, and they both have comfortable grips for hands of all sizes. I know people who have XDs and M&Ps, and I have an M&P, and both brands are great runners. I would be surprised if he didn't want one or the other after handling them both.

XD's are the best thing going for the price, what they come with standard, and all round good gun, especially for a guy new into pistol shooting, can tweek yer taste as time goes by and skills improve but for a starter you can't go wrong with one

I would second the XD. I have a Tactical 45 and service length 9mm. I have never had a problem with either of them. I have had the 45 since they came out and picked up the 9mm a few months back. I also like how the M&P's feel. I would suggest either of them for him. But it is up to him. Have him try out and feel if not shoot as many different ones that he can to find out what is right for him.

More XD praise here. My .45 is up in the 6000-7000 round range and has never caused me any trouble. The grip is much more comfortable for me than the gen III glock. (hate the finger grooves) The only downside I have found is the mags. The metal at the back, behind the feed lips tends to bend out a bit causing the mags to not "drop free"

A used Sig 226 or 229? That's what I'd go for.

In the way of other favorites that meet that price I'd look hard at the Beretta PX4 or 92FS, both good guns I own and love. THe PX4 is dead on accurate and surprisingly concealable, probably my favorite polymer framed gun I own.

Their's a reason Glocks are so popular and all the major companies have tried to create their own version of a Glock. I use to despise Glocks and then I bought one. They are simple, reliable, and accurate. Very tough to beat.

There are a lot of pistols that fall under $600. Especially if he's willing to buy used.

I understand he doesn't like Glock so I won't suggest it...

I own a M&P Pro and it's a great little pistol. Haven't priced them lately and I got a helluva deal on mine ($400 w/4 hi caps and only about 50rds fired before I bought it). The only XD I've shot was a .45 full size. I liked it. It fit my hand well, hit where I pointed it, and had no FTE, FTF, etc. my only complaint and it's minor, is that the grip safety could be a little wider IMO.

I've shot a bunch of Sigs and tried to like them. For some reason they just don't feel comfortable to me. In turn I found I don't shoot them all that well. Not bashing Sig at all, they just don't fit me. Similarly the Beretta 92, for what ever reason, I couldn't hit a barn while standing inside it.

My most recent pistol purchase that meets his price point was a very lightly used CZ75B SA. I bought it here on The Hide and LOVE it. All steel, fits me great, and hits where I want it to. Since I started shooting a STI in comps about four years ago my Glock accuracy has definitely slipped. I guess it's the grip angle but it takes me a round or two to quit hitting high with the Glock. I don't have that issue with the CZ. It just plain works. In fact the CZ will be my new 3Gun pistol (when there's no power factor in scoring).

Wow! I rambled on
blush.gif
. I guess what I meant to say was,

"CZ, M&P, or XD."

Springfield XD is a good choice, I have several in 9. I haven't had any problems with them. They are easy to break down too. He might take a look at a Baretta as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredreded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks a ton guys. Appreciate the info. Any opinions on the Walther P99 in 9mm?</div></div>

I had a Walther P99 in .40 and it was very nice. I did have to send it in for service as it was jamming. They replaced the spring and extractor and then I sold it for a Glock 19. Nothing against it, once I encounter problems I tend not to trust the gun anymore and sell it.

I had always hated Glock's as they were so ordinary. All of my friends have them, they work great and never malfunction so I joined the club. I have been through a great deal of pistols and have sold them due to reliability issues. The Glock is the only one so far that has not suffered any issues so I am very comfortable with it for any self defense situation.

I would 2nd or 3rd or... having him try the xd series of pistols. I tend to stick with the 1911 for most things but really like the xds. I've got a friend with the M+P and he loves it. Either one of those have proven track records and the should fall under all of your friends criteria.

Good luck
JMC

take a look for a cz sp01 of or a cz75 they are outstanding pistols

glock makes a hell of a pistol but i'm the same way i don't care for the grip angle or the trigger.

sometimes they run a sale on the cz sp01 phantoms.

i got mine from gander this year for 600 out the door w/ tax

very nice pistol and meets all the requirements of what you wanted.

the grip maybe too big for his hands. have him try one out before he buys one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I use to despise Glocks and then I bought one. They are simple, reliable, <span style="color: #CC0000">and accurate</span>. Very tough to beat. </div></div>

I've not yet been embarrased at the range by the group size of someone shooting a stock Glock. Its okay for practical accuracy but nothing to write home about. On the other hand it happens more than I'd like to admit that some guy is out there embarrasing me with an HK, Sig, or Beretta chewing the center out of a target at 75ft.

One guy had a sweet custom barrel and sights, modified slide on his G19 (I think) and he was shooting very well with it, but hey you can make a 1911 shoot if you do all that to it
grin.gif

One thing I would consider is the price of ammo. Let's face it, 9mm is a heck of a lot cheaper than 45. Unless he's going to reload it's hard to make a case for a 45 over 9mm in terms of $. Note: Not trying to start a cartridge war here.

I would also consider a pistol that someone makes a .22lr conversion kit for that is reliable and relatively inexpensive. I think this is a huge benefit of the Glocks and 1911s.

I think the XD is a great buy for what you get.

FWIW, I'm a die hard HK fan. I do wish someone made a .22lr conversion for it. I'm jealous of my friends with Glocks and 1911's that can shoot .22 in their primary pistol for practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cg_wilson2003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredreded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks a ton guys. Appreciate the info. Any opinions on the Walther P99 in 9mm?</div></div>

I had a Walther P99 in .40 and it was very nice. I did have to send it in for service as it was jamming. They replaced the spring and extractor and then I sold it for a Glock 19. Nothing against it, once I encounter problems I tend not to trust the gun anymore and sell it.
</div></div>

I have a Walther P99 in .40 S&W. Love it, but it's not very common here in the states. Upgrades are hard to come across as well and magazines are expensive. Find a deal on a used one with a couple of extra magazines... The biggest thing that drew me to it initially were the ergonomics. It feels great and it shoots great for me.

I like the Walther P99 in 9mm, never shot the .40 but when I go .40 I go all the way to 10mm
grin.gif
There are a few trigger options on the P99 guns so I would reccomend the one that has the "quick action" trigger I believe they call it, consistent pull of about 8 lbs. They make a DAO which I don't care for and the AS -- Anti Stress trigger. My first one was a "AS" model and I sold that and now have the Quick Action which is my preference. Here is a good explanation on the P99 trigger options P99 Trigger Options

With a $600 budget the options are quite large if he is willing to go used. IMO the only way he's going to touch a P series SIG or HK at that pricepoint is used, which is fine -- for me anyway. The Springfield xD guns are greta for the money but I certainly prefer the xDm over the regular xD. They just came out with it in .45. I have one in 9mm that I will be selling only because this site has ignited an expensive addition that can only be fed by downsizing parts of my arsenal.

J&G just blew out a bout load of used LEO sigs in 9mm 250 each!! I missed that deal I would have bought it just ot have it.

What ever you get try to shoot that gun first , I dont care what brand you buy if you cannot shoot the gun well what good is it. No sense in making it hard when it can be soo easy and FUN!!!

Just have to say Glock though love my little 27 carry it every day. Why does he not like Glock has he shot one??

I am into archery and I love my Hoyt, now my buddy has a killer Mathews .. I cannot shoot that bow to save my life. SO I dont own one. Not because it is a name thing,.. it just plain does not fit well in my hand. Hand guns are no different..

BTW I own H&K, ( 1911 varations) springfield, para, STI, Kimber, S&W trust my life to the ugly balck tupperware gun .. nothing will every change there. I used to hate the G pistols like many other g owners then we got to shooting them rest is history..

Have him rethink not wanting a revolver.
For under $600.00 he might not be able to get a good semi-auto with everything he wants, but he could buy one hell of a nice revolver. Wheelguns can take care of business just fine, either hunting or defense. Semi-autos are sexier, but you can get a more powerful handgun with a revolver if you want. A .44mag will take almost anything you want to hunt, and loaded down with .44 specials makes a very good defense round.

Jim

With your guidelines a XDm or Glock...

I've been on a XDm kick the last year and really like them, 19+1 rounds of 9mm in a full size pistol that doesn't feel like a handful is hard to beat IMHO...

YMMV

yup...even though I carry a Jardine tuned Kimber Warrior on Swat n duty...you can't beat a Glock 17....they generally work right out of the box/reliable....easy to learn how to service yourself.....price point...ease of obtaining parts/mags...same trigger pull each time...no sharp edges

I agree with everyone else on this one XD or of course the Glock... Also some entry level 1911's like everyone stated, maybe the springfield milspec which leaves him room for some upgrades later down the road.

If it was me and I had a choice it would be a coin toss between the xd and the glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am surprised there was only one mention of CZ hand guns. That's what I would turn him onto.

Jamie </div></div>

There were two, both mentioned the CZSP01 and the CZ75. (Oh FYI stay away from the CZ Rami POS)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the intended purpose for this gun?

Range plinking?
Home Defense?
Concealed Carry? </div></div>

Yes.

This will be his only pistol currently. He will probably use it for all of the above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredreded</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the intended purpose for this gun?

Range plinking?
Home Defense?
Concealed Carry? </div></div>

Yes.

This will be his only pistol currently. He will probably use it for all of the above. </div></div>

Based on that, I would suggest a compact or subcompact 9mm, Springfield XD, S&W M&P 9 or 9C, Glock 19, Sig 250 9mm or hell a Beretta 92.

Cheap to shoot, mags and parts are plentyful, all of those models offer a rail in some variant. There are plenty of customization options as far as grips and sights etc.

Have him handle a few guns at a gun shop, show him how to grip the gun properly and get a feel for what he likes.

Good luck... post up what he ends up buying.

Currenntly, he is trying to swing a deal on a slightly used P226 in 9mm from a hide member. He handled all the suggestions offered and shot a few of them. He shot a 226 yesterday and it was love at first shot. I'm betting if this deal doesn't go, he'll look at another used one.

He thanks everyone for all the suggestions. You all helped out a ton.