• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Pitted Chamber help

Dot3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2021
NC
I have a Remington 700P in 308 that is a hammer but it has a rust problem. It sat a while until yesterday when the owner shot it and couldn’t extract the case. We didn’t really know why until we got the case out by driving it out with a brass dowel. Ran the bore scope down it and the chamber is pitted bad. (Bore is pristine) I have tried JB bore compound with kroil and it shined it up but didn’t help the pitting. I shot it and stuck another case. What are my options? I can use the abrasive JB, I can get a cylinder home, or I can try to get my hands on a reamer. I want to save this barrel and not scrap it.

IMG_6886.jpeg
IMG_6888.jpeg

Bottleneck into the leade is fine

Fak. That’s not what I wanted to hear. It was made in 2010. Probably don’t have 600 rounds through it and is a hammer.
I’m not a gunsmith but maybe some polish would work. Smooth it out enough to extract a round.

Beyond that it would probably need a reamer. But being it’s pitted you wouldn’t want to open the chamber up as that could be a safety issue

Also it will just rust again. It’s crap steel

Or setting it back as suggested. Basically you’re not likely saving the existing chamber. Personally if I put the money into a R700 it be a new barrel. Not sticking money into the factory one.

I personally avoid Remington all together after some bad experiences and horror stories from years ago when they were going through bankruptcy

Get a cylinder hone and see if it will clean up enough to work. Nothing to lose at this point but the price of the hone.
That’s what I was thinking, especially after the first rebarrel post.
I’m not a gunsmith but maybe some polish would work. Smooth it out enough to extract a round.

Beyond that it would probably need a reamer. But being it’s pitted you wouldn’t want to open the chamber up as that could be a safety issue

Also it will just rust again. It’s crap steel

Or setting it back as suggested. Basically you’re not likely saving the existing chamber. Personally if I put the money into a R700 it be a new barrel. Not sticking money into the factory one.

I personally avoid Remington all together after some bad experiences and horror stories from years ago when they were going through bankruptcy
I agree with you about not opening up the chamber anymore. Me and him already discussed that. It’s not my money, but I’ll be the bearer of the bad news. Like was said though, ain’t got shit to lose at this point so I’m going to try a hone.

Just an update I was able to get it running again. I got some Iosso and let the drill do the work. I shot 4 rounds, all ejected easily. I will measure that spent brass along with some brass that was fired before the rust issue set in to make sure I didn’t waller things out too much. Pretty sure it’s gtg. This is the only picture I got, which is the worst spot in the chamber.
IMG_6894.jpeg

Reactions: RJared87