Place to shoot a mile plus

1000YardStare

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2010
Oklahoma
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows of a rifle range in Oklahoma or close by that has extreme distance targets, or if anyone has some land in or close to Oklahoma that they have marked off at a known distance of a mile or more? Longest hit I've made is a thousand yards, and I've been wanting to try my hand at making a hit at a mile plus. I do have a big ranch I am around every day that has a few clear lines of sight to a mile and well over, but there are canyons everywhere, which makes accurately marking it off with a wheel impossible. Granted, there are surely rangefinders out there that could consistently mark a mile long shot, but holy moly they are expensive! If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Place to shoot a mile plus

So you have a rifle and glass that will shoot a mile, but no access to a laser rangefinder or even google earth that will get you a distance? I have even seen some of the the Leica rangefinders get accurate distances to 2000ish and they are less than $1000. Just out of curiousity, what is the rifle combo?

You can get an app for your phone that will tell you straight line distances between two points. I would use that.

It would be within 10 yds or so. I wouldn't think you would find a range finder any cheaper than you could get one of those apps.

Sean

LoL Az, I know it sounds silly, but yes. I bought the rifle when times were a little better for me. Can't really afford to drop a grand on a good rangefinder now. I do intend on doing so when I can, but it'll be a little while. Rifle combo is a Savage 110 ba in 338 LM with a NF nxs 12-42x56 scope.

An app that tells distance? That would be nifty. What would the name be for such an app? Google earth I guess or is there another one?

I use how far is that app for android smartphones and it gas been accurate to within 5 yards at various distances between known distances of 500 to 2175 yards. I think it cost me $5 bucks on the android market. The 2175 yard distance was from a surveyed property marker to marker distance and it told me I was at 2179 yards by the application.

I use a Garmin Rino's GPS to mark (as waypoints) all my targets and can get fairly close range estimations to any number of different firing positions. Depending on satellite reception it's possible to get LOS range estimations within 10 yards. One time I used it to mark a distant rock face using the topo map and waypoint feature and got a first round hit on a 30” rock at 1150 yards. I think most hand held GPS’s should be able to accomplish these tasks.

GPS or you can do it the old fashion way, using a map and protractor.

Get the lowest scale you can find and a good protractor. My protractor even measures the angle of slops, just over lay it on the contour lines and read the scale, it will give you the angle.

GPS's are fun to play with, but I never had my map battery fail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get an app for your phone that will tell you straight line distances between two points. I would use that.

It would be within 10 yds or so. I wouldn't think you would find a range finder any cheaper than you could get one of those apps.

Sean </div></div>

I use one for iphone called "DistanceMap". I have checked it against some known distances at my usual range and it's pretty accurate.