• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

POF 308 GTG or JUNK?

SSG3K

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 31, 2003
    Mi
    I had one when they first came out and was ok, not great but just ok. Accuracy was hit or miss but the rifle never stopped function. Well I sold it to get another scope and now I may want to get one again. I have done some reading and found that alot of people are have quite a few problems with them. So knowing that what is the consensus here?

Thanks

Rich

Re: POF 308 GTG or JUNK?

There have been a lot of people bitching and moaning about various "issues" with POF, its management, QC, Frank (the owner), etc., but my 20" SPR P-308 has been 100% since day one. It has eaten everything I have fed it and come back for more. In terms of accuracy, it is just scary for a gas gun. With BH and FGMM 168gr loads and my handloads, it is a sub-3/4 MOA rifle which I am sure is due in no small part to the Rock 5R 20" barrel. I have not done any load development with heavier, 175gr loads yet, but factory BH 175gr stuff was sub-MOA as well (only 40rnds fired).

The only "problem" I have had with mine was some failures to feed which were wholly a result of two bad DPMS mags that wouldn't feed properly and caused issues. I have run other DPMS mags and C-Products mags with zero problems.

The only other issue, which is common to piston driven rifles like the POF, is some minor "gouging" of the upper receiver by the cam pin as the carrier cycles. Most people who have experienced this issue seem to agree that is does not continue past a certain number of rounds. The same issue is apparent in the LWRC and other rifles too. POF is currently about to intro a roller cam pin that will eliminate this issue altogether. In the meantime, before firing a round from mine, I installed an Adams Arms bolt spring and I have had almost zero gouge on my upper.

If you can read through all the name-calling, horseshit and general garbage, POF's industry forum on AR15.COM has some pretty good info.

I have had nothing but great service from POF and I am really happy with my .223 and my .308.

I am so happy I am ordering me a 6.5 Creedmoor as well.

I recommend them!

I have never had a single problem with my 416 or my 308 POF. Never a malfuunction even when using a Beta-C mag. Both will hold sub moa when I do my part.

The only issue I have ever seen first had is when a good friend got his new 416 (223), he had malfunction after malfunction. Open it up and broke down the bolt carrier to find that the bolt was stamped "6.5". Called and spoke to Frank the net day and he expressed the right bolt the next day.

Great weapons, good service, proud Americans.

I have 2 POF's, one in P308 and a P416. The .308 is a great shooting rifle, .75 moa and slightly better in a 16.5" barrel. The 416 had some issues with short stroking so I had to send it back. They turned it around in less than a week and it functions fine now. It doesn't shoot quite as well as the P308 but still well enough. I have never spoke with Frank, I dealt with Chris and a tech guy in the shop. Both treated me right so my experience with customer service was favorable. I have no problems recommending them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had nothing but great service from POF and I am really happy with my .223 and my .308.

I am so happy I am ordering me a 6.5 Creedmoor as well.
    </div></div>

BTW, NOMAD, where did you hear they are doing a Creedmoor? Their site doesn't have any info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nomad always has the inside info...btw i just got a new bartlin 6.5 creedmore barrel for my aw and love it....worth every penny </div></div>

yep, love a 6.5mm in most any configuration. I would definitely order a POF in 6.5 if and when it becomes available.

I've had 2 POF rifles in 5.56 and both were nothing but problems. I sent each gun back to POF twice, the 16" worked well after the second trip back, so i later bought an 18" and had to send it back twice because it couldn't hold minute of barn at 100. By the time I got the second gun back, I just sold both uppers and kept the lowers. The lowers are definitely good to go. This was just my experience, and YMMV.

Joe

I love my POF 5.56. Used it in a 3 gun match yesterday and it ran great and was accurate for the long range shots.

My 20 P-308 is Good to go now. Had some issues in the beginning but Chris and crew took care of right away.

So my experience other than a little inconvenience was right on. There was a problem, they took care of it immediately and that is that!!! I'd do it again!!!

I have put >5,000 rounds through my 16" 5.56 P.O.F. and have had
    good accuracy with mil.spec. ball ammo and almost no problems. I say "almost" because at the last course I attended, one of the trigger pins holding the Timney Trigger fell out during barricade drills. It started doubling!
    I would recommend KNS anti-walk pins for safety sake.
    I also have a 16" in 7.62 but have not put it through it's paces yet.
    I did have some FTF's and the problem seems to have resolved after I isolated a particular DPMS brand 19 round mag.
    Time will tell.
    I've mainly utilized mil. 147gr. ball ammo. while waiting for the right optic. This winter, time permitting, I will be able to decide how accurate it is.

I have been to their shop it is very nice and they have more guns, parts and what nots all over the place. They were packing and shipping product while I was there.

They sell alot of guns to LE and Military and I am sure there were alot of guns that were ordered before your that needed shipped.

Considering the wait time on AR's and teh back log I would wait and get what you wanted in the first place.

You wont be dissappointed.

I ordered a 16" POF-308 last November and my dealer still had not heard a word on actual shipping from them. He contacted them a few months ago and was told that it would ship last month. I finally got sick of waiting and was able to pick up the configuration I wanted NIB on Gunbroker for $2500 so I bought it. I am sure my dealer cancelled my order by now so maybe that will help push someone else up the list.
    I received the rifle last week and the rifle looks to be of very high quality. The barrel is definitely free-floating and the receivers are very well machained and tight. There is almost no "slop" between the upper and lower. The finish is very nice as well. I chose to go with the standard black receiver finish instead of the NP3 coated receivers. Fit and finish-wise, this is the nicest AR type rifle I own. I have not had a chance to take it to the range yet to see how it shoots but in handling it I am pleased so far. The true test will be once I get to shoot it though.
    They are now coming equipped with some sort of anti-walk lock on the trigger pins to evidently address the problem stated above.

I have a POF-P308 and have had 150 trouble-free rounds with Radway Green and FGMM. Awesome fit and finish, awesome ergonomics. In a word: awesome!

The only thing I don't like is that the predator rail raises the optic mounting area by about 0.5 inches, which puts my TA11 a tad too high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Holmes123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a POF-P308 and have had 150 trouble-free rounds with Radway Green and FGMM. Awesome fit and finish, awesome ergonomics. In a word: awesome!

The only thing I don't like is that the predator rail raises the optic mounting area by about 0.5 inches, which puts my TA11 a tad too high. </div></div>

I agree. I like the modular rail but it does raise the optics mounting plane a little higher than I am used to. Should allow for use of lower scope rings for mounting though I suppose. Does anyone know if there is a cheek rest accessory made for the VLTOR EMOD like there is for the Magppul CTR? I have done a search and not found anything.

I have a 14.5" P308 and the only issues I have had stem from Magazines. which is the biggest issues with that style rifle. In a way I wish they took Armalite mags because I have zero issues with the armalite mags in my ASA 308.

So far, my best groups have been just under 3/4 MOA with this rifle. If you can get your hands on one of the older P308s, The POF upper receiver was a Flat Top A3 style and you could use a Daniel Defense rail system instead of the Predator. the is not an option anymore as they have really integrated the rail system and upper togethere. I have a Trijicon Accupoint on my beowulf with a predator rail, it is the 3-9 model with mildots. I am using as low a ring as possible and it actually is a really nice height, not to high. this scope will more then likely end up on the P308.

as far as the 6.5Cr goes, they do have a handfull of barrels that they are planing making a few test rifles for evaluation. wethere or not they actually got into full production with the caliber or not is another story.

Well I just did the paper work at my FFL for my POF 308 16.5" bbl and it looks great. I wanted to see if it came with the new roller cam pin so I opened it up. That's when it look like that fake can of nuts with the snakes shooting out of it. I don't know how they got the thing together like this, however they didn't put the buffer tube in far enough to hold down the buffer detent. So as for rumors about QC I can tell you that I am one of the unfortunate ones to have gotten one that shouldn't have passed QC like it did. Easy fix though and everything looks gtg now.

Jamie

The 6.5 Creedmoor barrel was a push by me. I have been asking for it for awhile and I know the barrels are sitting their now. They plan on getting it done here in the near future so that will work for me!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wanted to see if it came with the new roller cam pin so I opened it up. </div></div>

Did it have the roller cam pin? My new rifle that is only about 3 weeks old did not come with it. I plan to install one once they are available, however. I also ordered the ambidextrous selector lever from Brownells to try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vette447</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wanted to see if it came with the new roller cam pin so I opened it up. </div></div>

Did it have the roller cam pin? My new rifle that is only about 3 weeks old did not come with it. I plan to install one once they are available, however. I also ordered the ambidextrous selector lever from Brownells to try out. </div></div>

No, it didn't come with the roller cam pin, however it did come with the ambi selector. I plan on getting the roller cam pin in the future too.

Jamie

Dang you guys are killin' me - I placed an order for an upper back in March and am still waiting. Got a message 6 weeks ago stating "2 weeks to ship" - still waiting.........
    Looking forward to getting this thing in hand and out to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam Hail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang you guys are killin' me - I placed an order for an upper back in March and am still waiting. Got a message 6 weeks ago stating "2 weeks to ship" - still waiting.........
    Looking forward to getting this thing in hand and out to the range. </div></div>

I waited 1 year for mine. I was told it would take 1 year and it took all of that.

Jamie

Maybe I will tease you with pics of my 9.25 inch SBR in .223 or my 12 inch SBR .208
    smile.gif

Well worth the wait

I would definately get a POF if you have the money and have had previous experience with a AR rifle. There have been some people on that other thread who are first time owners of an AR period and have no real idea of what to expect with the rifle. But when they hear about someone else having a "problem" they jump on the bandwagon with no real idea of whats going on.

I own a 20inch .308 and a 18inch 5.56 and both are sub MOA and shoot anything I feed it. The .308 loves FGMM 168 BTHP and I have printed holes under 1/2 inch from time to time and holds sub 3/4 all day. Both guns have an uninterrupted top rail which is a nice plus and the top rail sits a little higher then most conventional platforms which makes using optics less strenuous to goet a good sight picture.

Just about every POF will have the gouge caused by the cam pin. Most people freak out when they see this but it is normal due to the increased pressure on the BCG from the piston op rod. It doesnt effect accuracy or impede the rifle other then cosmetics. If you talk with Frank is a tolerence issue more then anything. Theres 2 ways to solve it. 1st is to get the roller cam pin from POF and that will stop the gouge. 2nd is to use the spring method that is mentioned on ar15.com. You will get even better results using both methods and neither will impede performance in any way. I actually have both of my rifles set up that way and I am very happy with how its been working.

I ultimately went with POF as I wanted to try out a GP system and have used the DI system in the past without complain. I have talked with Chris, Frank, and a few other people at POF and had nothing but good experiences through them and they stand behind their product. What really got me into POF was their rail design for both the 5.56 and .308 platforms. I aslo liked the fact that theres hardly any cleaning or lube with the gun. The heat the is removed from using a GP setup over a DI was worth its weight in gold. The only heated parts on their rifles are the barrel and gas block. That means that you could fire off a thousand rounds and take the gun down without having to worry about a too hot to touch BCG or upper right after a mag dump.

The guns are also decently priced and are now a deal compared to other designs that are out there of the same operating method. The .308 is well worth its money as it can compete with the GAP and KAC rifles for accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I will tease you with pics of my 9.25 inch SBR in .223 or my 12 inch SBR .208
    smile.gif

Well worth the wait
    </div></div>

Our we going to get to see the pics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I will tease you with pics of my 9.25 inch SBR in .223 or my 12 inch SBR .208
    smile.gif

Well worth the wait
    </div></div>

Our we going to get to see the pics? </div></div>

I had a 9.25" 223 and decided to get the 11.5 because we had some baffle strikes using my friends suppressor. I like the way it turned out. I'm teasing the op with the idea of picking up one of my 308's
    wink.gif

4001748807_620e164e6a_b.jpg