• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Point Blank Software....Anyone???

Any one use this software to predetermine their drop charts, until proven otherwise? Great tool, if you ask me, just curious how close to true it is. Biggest downfall that I can see is it doesn't ask about the gun's characteristics.

Free Point Blank Ballistics Software <----LINK

243pointblank.jpg

Re: Point Blank Software....Anyone???

Only gun characteristics you need are MV and site height. What other gun characteristics do you think an exterior ballistic programs need?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fire Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any one use this software to predetermine their drop charts, until proven otherwise? Great tool, if you ask me, just curious how close to true it is. Biggest downfall that I can see is it doesn't ask about the gun's characteristics.

Free Point Blank Ballistics Software <----LINK

243pointblank.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only gun characteristics you need are MV and site height. What other gun characteristics do you think an exterior ballistic programs need?</div></div>

I'm guessing, since I am fairly new at the more advanced side of shooting, that rate of twist, barrel length, barrel contour would all play a part in the ballistics. No?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fire Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guessing, since I am fairly new at the more advanced side of shooting, that rate of twist, barrel length, barrel contour would all play a part in the ballistics. No? </div></div>

There are three types of ballistics. Internal, external, and terminal. Programs such as QuickLoad deal primarily with internal ballistics like pressure, barrel time, heat of explosion, etc. Most other ballistics programs deal with external ballistics providing time of flight, trajectory, wind drift, etc. I don't know of any computer simulations dealing with terminal ballistics. This is where things like gelatin blocks come into play.

That being said, when on the firing line you really only need to be concerned with external ballistics. To get an accurate prediction of external ballistics you really only need what programs such as PointBlank ask for...sight height, muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, bullet weight, etc. The type of powder used, primer, rate of twist, and a host of other things are irrelevant in determining the things that these types of programs are designed to tell you.

I played with this a bit several years ago and it seemed to work well. If using Sierra bullets, you may try to use the varying bc's from their web site to fine tune the results at mid and long range. If you have at least one known long range data point (for example, a 100 yd zero and used 14.75 minutes at 600) you can "smooth the curve" a bit by playing with the sight height to get your data to match at the known point and you will be closer at other ranges. I believe sight height is not going to be a hard-and-fast number anyway, if you're using a scope on a canted base.

Twist rate may have an effect on bullet flight (spinning a bullet faster may resist a push from a crosswind, may induce a larger spin drift, open microscopic black holes, etc) but would be hard to quantify.

Under misc functions in Point blank there is a Taylor calculator that Mechanic mentioned, along with recoil, sectional density and some other calculators.

I find that how many inches of drop, lead, or deflection said bullet has at given distance to be useless information, I need Mils or MOA because thats how my scope adjusts.