• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Poll - What mid-range price AR-15?

What mid-range price AR ($900 - $1300) would you choose for a defense weapon?

• Sig Sauer M400 Tread

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Springfield Saint Victor

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Ruger AR-556

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • FN-15 Tactical II

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • IWI Zion

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Stag 15

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • CMMG Resolute

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • BCM

Votes: 63 63.0%

• Total voters
BCM, Seekins Sp15, or maybe Geissele if you can hit a sale. (Think they had a few Blems for $1000 for 4th of July?)

Maybe watch for Labor Day deals here in a couple weeks

Reactions: MCSO1357
Build it right and it will shoot. 3 groups yesterday, biggest was .97 moa yesterday. All three groups below were sub moa with the exception of the 62g fmj group that was about 3.5-4 moa(not pictured)
IMG_6738.jpeg

What site had the BCM sale?

I'm an Aero fan myself. But do agree to at least build it by getting a complete lower of your preference and a complete upper of your preference. I know for me at least, I'm going to want to replace the bolt, charging handle, maybe the grip and stock, and then at thay point you're no longer under the desired price point anyway.

Primary Arms usually has strong sales on Aero stuff.

Buy a quality barrel, fairly expensive,
and reassemble the rifle with the new barrel....add an aftermarket trigger, 2.5 to 3 lb... It will probably shoot as good as any. Properly assembled, checked and squared, it will probably shoot 1/2 moa 5 shot groups fairly often. Total cost about $650.
I just built an AR 15 in 30 RAR from parts left over, from other builds... the barrel was a Rem 700 26" police factory barrel with 8000rds on it. Cut off the chamber with most of the firecracking, shortened, and profiled the 700 barrel to AR 15, installed a used barrel nut, gas block was the wrong size, so it was had an insert pressed in and bored to size. Chambered threaded, gas journal turned, and later gas port drilled.
Total cost was like $340 including the reamer. It shoots very well for an AR made from used, and left over parts. Plus making the brass, there is no 30 RAR brass, chamber gauges, etc for this obsolete caliber.
Learn to build you own and reload for it, ya don't have to do extensive rifle building, but it all helps.

Attachments

• 20230818_153945.jpg
    20230818_153945.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230818_222525.jpg
    20230818_222525.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230810_194053.jpg
    20230810_194053.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230812_145408.jpg
    20230812_145408.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230731_163234.jpg
    20230731_163234.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Makinchips208
Buy a quality barrel, fairly expensive,
and reassemble the rifle with the new barrel....add an aftermarket trigger, 2.5 to 3 lb... It will probably shoot as good as any. Properly assembled, checked and squared, it will probably shoot 1/2 moa 5 shot groups fairly often. Total cost about $650.
I just built an AR 15 in 30 RAR from parts left over, from other builds... the barrel was a Rem 700 26" police factory barrel with 8000rds on it. Cut off the chamber with most of the firecracking, shortened, and profiled the 700 barrel to AR 15, installed a used barrel nut, gas block was the wrong size, so it was had an insert pressed in and bored to size. Chambered threaded, gas journal turned, and later gas port drilled.
Total cost was like $340 including the reamer. It shoots very well for an AR made from used, and left over parts. Plus making the brass, there is no 30 RAR brass, chamber gauges, etc for this obsolete caliber.
Learn to build you own and reload for it, ya don't have to do extensive rifle building, but it all helps.
I have about three I have built. I also reload. For this purchase, I want to have quality components in a complete rifle, aside from probably replacing the trigger.

I have a stupid number of AR-15s, AR-10s, and AKs, as I’ve been panic-buying since before Roberti-Roos of 1989. There are probably 10 ARs I have that I’ll likely never shoot again.

My primary go-to HD carbine is a BCM 14.5” MLGS with a Surefire WPL and RDS, VTAC Sling, PRI GB CH, runs like a raped ape, very controllable. Secondary is a 12” 6.5 Grendel suppressed.

Once I build a round-count on the PDW Grendels (10.5” and 8.5” barrels), I’ll probably switch to those due to terminal effects and compactness.

For your budget, I would look at a BCM upper or deal on a complete carbine as others have mentioned. For HD, I prefer the shorter barrels, so 12.5” or 11.5” would be better.

Reactions: hseII and FWoo45
I have a stupid number of AR-15s, AR-10s, and AKs, as I’ve been panic-buying since before Roberti-Roos of 1989. There are probably 10 ARs I have that I’ll likely never shoot again.

My primary go-to HD carbine is a BCM 14.5” MLGS with a Surefire WPL and RDS, VTAC Sling, PRI GB CH, runs like a raped ape, very controllable. Secondary is a 12” 6.5 Grendel suppressed.

Once I build a round-count on the PDW Grendels (10.5” and 8.5” barrels), I’ll probably switch to those due to terminal effects and compactness.

For your budget, I would look at a BCM upper or deal on a complete carbine as others have mentioned. For HD, I prefer the shorter barrels, so 12.5” or 11.5” would be better.
What does your gun safe, or safe room look like?

Colt 6920 OEM2’s can be bought for $799. That leaves $500 for a handguard, stock, and whatever else.

Clyde Armory has pallets of them.
ETA: They have barely used LMT defender 2000 police trade ins for a grand.

Bcm will have an occasional tool mark but it really is hard to beat, tough as nails, tight specs, and will run all day, and it would take a mortar blast to shift that handguard. For what they are the accuracy is good but not great, but for a chrome lined barrel mine has performed well and accurately, without a malfunction in thousands of rounds that wasn’t a bad primer. That being said I don’t have one but I’ve heard good things about the FN.

So, I am sold on getting a BCM upper. Right now you get a BCG with the purchase. Not looking to build, so what lower would y'all suggest. At my price range and with the cost of the upper, I can drop about $500 on a lower. I like Aero Precision a lot.

What is it you like about the Aero lower?
If a person's requirements begin and end at "must go bang" I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a complete rifle rather than buying a complete upper and complete lower from two different places.

Reactions: Jsp556 and RTH1800
What is it you like about the Aero lower?
If a person's requirements begin and end at "must go bang" I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a complete rifle rather than buying a complete upper and complete lower from two different places.
The rifles are about $300 over my budget. BCM does not sell the complete lower and everywhere I have looked they are out of stock.

I have built a few Aero lowers and they have good components and a good reputation.

The rifles are about $300 over my budget. BCM does not sell the complete lower and everywhere I have looked they are out of stock.

I have built a few Aero lowers and they have good components and a good reputation.
Ahh, I forgot about the budget part.
I voted FN. They build a solid rifle, it's in your budget and for your uses it will do exactly what a BCM will do and you'll never know the difference.

Ahh, I forgot about the budget part.
I voted FN. They build a solid rifle, it's in your budget and for your uses it will do exactly what a BCM will do and you'll never know the difference.
Thanks. One I also left out is Patriot Ordinance. I get a good military discount, so it falls within my budget and I get much more. Plus, it comes pinned and welded with a 13.75" barrel and the attachment for the Dead Air suppressors.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Another top tier manufacturer- ADM/American Defense Manufacturing- on sale at Midway USA with free shipping. Company is known for it's true full ambi lower and overall high quality precision. Veteran owned company- ADM and GDI/Global Defense are sister companies.

Another top tier manufacturer- ADM/American Defense Manufacturing- on sale at Midway USA with free shipping. Company is known for it's true full ambi lower and overall high quality precision. Veteran owned company- ADM and GDI/Global Defense are sister companies.

That’s a good deal on a good rifle. That should end OP’s search. Good find. They’re usually in the $1800 range when they’re in shops local to me.

I'd go with the Armalite M-15 competition with the 13.5" barrel. Geissele 3 gun trigger.

March 2.5-25 and then offset irons I think would be the route, still can't help but think I'd actually go with a true 1x, like 1-6 or 1-8 though...
For home defense, that will blow your ears out inside the house and outside the house as well if you’re not doubled-up on ear pro.

That brake is pretty insane. It’s a great baseline carbine option for someone shooting action matches to work from, where you would install your own trigger, maybe play with the gas system and action spring/buffer set-up.

That’s a pretty good deal with that lower. I love the ADM ambi lower because of how easy it is to drop the bolt with the firing hand, and the large funnel mag well.

Could always get a Colt m4 type

I have a 16" that I built using a green mountain barrel, kac urx 4 handguard and larue 2 stage it shoots and handles well, would like to try a 16" super duty geissele too, that 16" size with extended handguards is really good all around

Plus you'll have enough accuracy for coyotes/varmints/ranch type stuff with the right load and optic

Roll your own. The knowledge you gain from assembling and tuning your own will prove invaluable when it comes time to troubleshoot and fix minor issues with your weapon.

Of your choices above, BCM would be my pick. About 2/3 of our ranch rifles are based on BCM components (usually with Aero receivers), and have generally proven to be as reliable as hammers. Always work.

If you up your budget a bit, I’d throw DD and Geissele components into the mix, especially barrels and bolts; though I have BCM bolts in all my personal AR15s, and love them.

Reactions: hseII and USAF Ret
https://g4gguns.com/product/lwrc-di-rifle-556nato-16-1-mlok-blk/

I've been running a couple of these for awhile now and have been really impressed with their reliability and accuracy.

Using the AAC 55grn black tip Saber ammo I'm getting consistent Sub MOA accuracy.

I haven't bothered with handloads as they were purchased to be blasters but I'm confident I can easily get sub .75 MOA or less out of them.

I just picked another one up from the above link, I'm gonna SBR it and drop a 13.7" Noveske in it or have Paul Ross Turn me a Criterion in 13.7"

For home defense, that will blow your ears out inside the house and outside the house as well if you’re not doubled-up on ear pro.

That brake is pretty insane. It’s a great baseline carbine option for someone shooting action matches to work from, where you would install your own trigger, maybe play with the gas system and action spring/buffer set-up.
Yeah,

Absolutely NO inside discharging without a suppressor.