• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Polymer tip .223 and FTF issues

SilentX

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
I have recently picked up .223 in TAP, V-Max, and Black Hills - all have polymer tips. I will not be able to test in my M4 for a few more months but have had no issue with ball ammo that I feed my duty weapon.

Question:
Has anyone had feed problems with this ammo especially when shooting in semi-auto on quick reaction courses (pepper poppers) or shooting houses where you need to move with the weapon and shoot quick strings of 3-5 rounds at a time?

I would also like to know about the more stable bench rested weapon firing profile and FTFs with this type of round.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Polymer tip .223 and FTF issues

I can understand the Hornaday TAP, but why are you wanting to run varmint bullets in your "duty weapon" which I understand as being an M4-type rifle?

First, let me ask you is this something your department/department policy allows?

Seems like and odd choice of ammo for your "quick reaction courses".

Seems like and odd choice of rifle for benchrest shooting

I have an M4 for duty that I do not own - it gets green tip...

I have my personal M4 which is the object of this question. I have Federal Power Shock FMJ and have recently stocked up on Hornady TAP.

I also have Black Hills V-Max and Hornady V-Max that are primarily intended for my MT6700 as well as Model 70 bolt action.

Question remains: (and I thank all respondents to date) Are there issues with running polymer tips through AR style weapons?

I agree with Scotts556. In any of my semi-autos (AR, FAL, HK, M1A) I always try to shoot polymer tip rounds when not shooting FMJ. Shooting soft points consistently give me FTF problems in the 7.62 rifles and less-frequently in the AR.