Poor's dilemma: Good 30 cal suppressor for 6.5

tea&jam

Master of none
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Idaho
What is your go-to 30 Cal Can?
What is the cheapest .308 you'd put that on?

Short: I've got a custom 6.5 Swede that I can now afford to put a can on. Is there a cry-once-buy-once 30 cal can that will do well on it? If not, what is a great can for my swede?

Long:
Fork elk hunting under 300 yds, would a can on a Mossberg Patriot .308 make you smile? ($400 w/ threaded barrel.) It's for a stubborn bow hunter; she won't want to make shots longer than 200 yds for a year or 2, but she needs a rifle. I want a can for 2 rifles...

I have a Crescent Customs 6.5 Swede, handload 130's at 3000 fps. I didn't have it threaded when it was built, but that was when I lived in MN and suppressors hadn't been made legal by the DNR. Getting it threaded is the easy decison here.

I've been looking at cheap Scout Rifles for the missus; Mossberg MVP is the only poor's that meets Cooper's criteria, but the Ruger Ranch and Mossberg Patriot are cheaper, and have an ounce more class.

Where am I going wrong in my thinking?

We have two Silencerco Hybrid 46 cans. They have been flawless, and have been used on everything from .22-250 to .45-70. Great result on both ends of the spread.

And I mean 7mm-08, .280 Ackley, 6.5 PRC, .44 rem mag, .308 win, .260 rem, .25-06, and basically anything we could shoot that was threaded. I think I have 6-7 baseplates with different thread patterns.

Do you have any friends that you could borrow theirs just to see if it would suite your needs?

I have a Banish 30 that I got because I borrowed it from a friend of mine and it worked for me as well, mostly use it for coyote hunting.

I have a couple of ruger predators, RPR, GAP PRS rifles from .22 CM to 6.5 CM, so no issues with the an inexpensive gun (ruger) to the GAP.

We have two Silencerco Hybrid 46 cans. They have been flawless, and have been used on everything from .22-250 to .45-70. Great result on both ends of the spread.

And I mean 7mm-08, .280 Ackley, 6.5 PRC, .44 rem mag, .308 win, .260 rem, .25-06, and basically anything we could shoot that was threaded. I think I have 6-7 baseplates with different thread patterns.
This.

Diligent Enticer (stainless) is a damn good budget option. S if you want to save some inches, L if you want max quiet. Pay the premium for the Ti version if you also want light weight.
A buddy has the STi, another has Ultra 7, I can’t tell a difference between them.

Reactions: tea&jam
A friend of mine just recieved his banish 30. I was pretty impressed with it. I'd heard good things about them but seeing it in action, I was pleasantly surprised that it lived up to the hype.
You can configure it in a 7" or 9" length. Full titanium can. All the baffles are removable, so you could shoot rimfire through it if you wanted. And it cools quick. I was surprised at how fast it cooled after a dozen shots on a 300winmag compared to my omega 300's and my 36m.

The reality is that very few people have enough experience with a breadth of silencers to give an objective opinion. Most everyone just recommends the silencers that they own. To me, this just says that you really can’t go wrong- as pretty much everyone is happy with their money spent.

What is your go-to 30 Cal Can?
What is the cheapest .308 you'd put that on?

Short: I've got a custom 6.5 Swede that I can now afford to put a can on. Is there a cry-once-buy-once 30 cal can that will do well on it? If not, what is a great can for my swede?

Long:
Fork elk hunting under 300 yds, would a can on a Mossberg Patriot .308 make you smile? ($400 w/ threaded barrel.) It's for a stubborn bow hunter; she won't want to make shots longer than 200 yds for a year or 2, but she needs a rifle. I want a can for 2 rifles...

I have a Crescent Customs 6.5 Swede, handload 130's at 3000 fps. I didn't have it threaded when it was built, but that was when I lived in MN and suppressors hadn't been made legal by the DNR. Getting it threaded is the easy decison here.

I've been looking at cheap Scout Rifles for the missus; Mossberg MVP is the only poor's that meets Cooper's criteria, but the Ruger Ranch and Mossberg Patriot are cheaper, and have an ounce more class.

Where am I going wrong in my thinking?

Get whatever fits the bill at your local nfa dealer. You're getting started, so having local support and sales is worth a couple $.

Mossberg is horribly fit and finished. Only seen a couple and neither one worked very well. Generally just hard to get mags to seat and stay seated, misfeeds, extremely rough bolt, etc.

Ruger American series is a surprisingly good buy. Haven't yet seen one that wouldn't hit moa.

Cooper couldn't imagine all the fun stuff we would have today. His ideal rifle fit his mindset. It's worthless to me personally. If you don't believe me look at all the scout scopes available... (Nobody was buying them for a reason...)

So, get what works for your situation, ignore the gun writers, and be happy.

This thread would get much more traction in The Armory subforum.
I went back and forth about that, but I was looking for more than suppressor advice, and the post below makes me glad I went with the Bear Pit

Get whatever fits the bill at your local nfa dealer. You're getting started, so having local support and sales is worth a couple $.

Mossberg is horribly fit and finished. Only seen a couple and neither one worked very well. Generally just hard to get mags to seat and stay seated, misfeeds, extremely rough bolt, etc.

Ruger American series is a surprisingly good buy. Haven't yet seen one that wouldn't hit moa.

Cooper couldn't imagine all the fun stuff we would have today. His ideal rifle fit his mindset. It's worthless to me personally. If you don't believe me look at all the scout scopes available... (Nobody was buying them for a reason...)

So, get what works for your situation, ignore the gun writers, and be happy.

I did order a .308 Mossberg Patriot Predator, but at $430 it'll be a loaner rifle at the very least. The spiral fluting of the Gen II Ruger American barrel didn't look as good to me as the straight fluting on the Mossberg. I'll confirm the bad fit and finish and you can mock my shallow decison making.

You can also mock me, I'm going to put a Meprolight M22 on it at first. I've always wanted one for my AR, so when the GF decides she wants to buy her own real scope, I can repurpose it (and be happy either way, sorry Cooper). I'll try for a version of a battle-sight-zero, aiming for 200 yds with +/- 4"

Thanks for all the replies, gonna look long and hard at all the cans people recommended. Hopefully the LGS has 1 or 2 of those on the shelf.

Last edited:
Buddy has a 243 mossberg patriot in the muddy girl Camo that I did load dev for. Thing is rough as hell. You never know if the mag is actually seated and the bolt feels like its coated in sandpaper but it shoots sub MOA with the load I made. He's dumped a hell of a lot of coyotes on the run with that thing and the 85 gn game kings.

I really like my TBAC ultra 7's but there are a lot of good options out there. For a hunting can Id go with 7" or less and Ti. The longer and /or heavier cans are great but un wieldy for carrying long miles. I want to get a couple 5" cans for hunting guns.

I went back and forth about that, but I was looking for more than suppressor advice, and the post below makes me glad I went with the Bear Pit

I did order a .308 Mossberg Patriot Predator, but at $430 it'll be a loaner rifle at the very least. The spiral fluting of the Gen II Ruger American barrel didn't look as good to me as the straight fluting on the Mossberg. I'll confirm the bad fit and finish and you can mock my shallow decison making.

You can also mock me, I'm going to put a Meprolight M22 on it at first. I've always wanted one for my AR, so when the GF decides she wants to buy her own real scope, I can repurpose it (and be happy either way, sorry Cooper). I'll try for a version of a battle-sight-zero, aiming for 200 yds with +/- 4"

Thanks for all the replies, gonna look long and hard at all the cans people recommended. Hopefully the LGS has 1 or 2 of those on the shelf.

If you had picked them both up and ran the bolts, you would quickly get over the fluting...

But it's a 308 so it can't really get any worse.

• Haha
I suggest a titanium can, look aroumd to see whats available. Abel suppressors are nice, little less than tbac and available rather quickly. Coworker has one and i cant find anything i dont like about it. Theorem, although i wpuld have gone theorem-s for a hunting bolt rifle

This looks like it might a pretty good buy for a Ti direct thread hunting can... No direct experience with them just happened to see it while looking for AW mags on the site lol