Gunsmithing Popular Mechanics Falling block plans

gunnergirl81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2008
KCMO
Ok, a recent discovery of some long forgotten brass stock has me thinking of another project nobody here has time for. But, I'll need some help. The hubby tells tales of a set of blueprints/plans for DIY falling block rifle like the Stevens Crackshot. Anyone have them, or know of where they can be found? I know its not a uber-SOCOM sub-MOA whiz-bang tango dropper, but it'll be a fun thing to tinker with while in the basement waiting out the tornado warnings and during the winter when we're snowed in.

So, any leads? C'mon, help a girl out.
wink.gif

Re: Popular Mechanics Falling block plans

You want the books "Mr Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans" and "Building a Single Shot Rifle Action". Practical Machinist and Home Shop Machinist web sites are good sources of build info.

Thanks guys. I've seen the book you refer to Harry, and its got a LOT of interesting little bits. And I cruised about the singles forum (sounds like a dating site) and in all honesty niether is the gem I'm looking for.

Maybe it wasn't popular mechanics, but there was a set of plans to build a falling block type single shot 22LR out of various thickness of brass stock. It was a sandwich style construction and heavily favored the style/action of the Crackshot or Favorite. Thats what I'm looking for. Brass, walnut and blued steel is just sorta sexy in an old way. Like George Strait. You know he's old, but he's still hot.

Sorry, I got distracted...

The Home Shop Machinist ran an article in the second half of 2002 that was a falling block action.

I don't have an electronic copy and my paper copy is in storage or I'd get it out and send a copy to you.

The plans are well detailed and the article talks about some of the pitfalls and the suggested order of operations if I remember right.

I built everything but the receiver body in the shop at college with the plan of doing the actual receiver in my dad's shop. Then I went to grad school, packed up my guns for about 2 years, and it fell by the way-side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Like George Strait. You know he's old, but he's still hot.

Sorry, I got distracted... </div></div>

Kenda,
Hold on there, your talking about the man my wife was supposed to marry. She thinks the same as you about George.