• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PRS Talk Positional elevation issues

firefighter1178

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2017
Kansas
I have been fighting this issue for probably a season and a half. Whenever I shoot positional my shots go high .5 ish. Rifle is balanced, NPA isn’t usually a problem for me. I feel like my trigger pull isn’t horrible but it’s hard to judge that on the clock.

Yesterday at a match just started holding at the bottom of the plate to make impacts. Granted that worked but I would like to figure out the problem. Rifle dope is dead on whenever I shoot prone I am dead center.

Been there and still fight that battle myself. When I see shots go high I go straight to the assumption that it was my screw-up by letting the muzzle flip high, not anything wrong with the rifle system. Here's my mental cues and training focus, just writing them out is a good exercise for myself...

Am I connected to the rifle? Buttstock pulled into shoulder lightly, good positive control of the rifle.
Cheek weld is just a light touch, don't lean my face hard on the cheek rest, don't push it down or to the side.
NPA, reticle stable on target as I press trigger.
Press the trigger straight back, visualize guiding the rifle with my trigger finger on a straight back recoil path into my shoulder,
Mentally prepare for the tracking of recoil, rifle sliding into the shoulder and coming to rest. Don't try to push back into the gun with my shoulder, don't grab hold of it with my hands/grip.
Don't flinch, don't tense, don't blink. So hard to hold yourself accountable on this, especially as the shooting positions get wobblier. Keep yourself honest with dummy rounds, have a friend watching you, film yourself in slow motion. What you think is a good trigger pull might not be.
Train on wobbly positional stuff to keep yourself honest, the more stable positions will seem much much easier.