• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Possible to rebarrel 30.06 Rem 700 to 338 Lapua?

Would this be done by a gunsmith or is it a new bolt assy from Remington? Is the R700 BDL 30.06 receiver right for the 300 RUM? Also, what would be a good replacement barrel?
It could be opened and then you would have to have a sako or m16 type extractor installed. It would probably be easier to get an aftermarket bolt. As for the action the receiver rails may need to be opened up slightly to feed from a internal magazine, but I'm not 100% on that. Years ago when I built a .338 RUM I used the RUM specific action and I don't know what the difference was other than the bolt. As far as a barrel, if you're budget minded I would look at McGowan or Preferred Barrel, others would be Lilja,Bartlein or Kreiger. They're alot of good makers out there.

Hey, Wannashootit was warning you off the .585 338 Lapua, not the .532 (ish: I think it's actually .534 or something) 338 UltraMag. Or you could look at the .338 Edge, which is the .300 UltraMag necked up to .338. The .338 UM is a little shorter case to allow using longer bullets. It'd be my choice with a Remington long action.

Gunsmith can open your bolt face and put in a Sako or M16 extractor, as stated above. Or you can buy a new bolt from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Might have to have some feeding work done.

HTH