• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Powder dispenser

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    I have a pact now but I don't think they are making it any more. Looking the RCBS Chargemaster but what are most of you using?

Houston, does yours consistently hit your desired load or does it vary +_ .04gr?

I've got the same setup and you can tune it to do whatever. I find with stick powders like Varget it will generally under throw by 1 powder granule. I keep a little pile on the table and just touch it to grab one piece with my finger to finish it off when it happens.

Finer ball powders will end up right on the money within the scales tolerance.

Thanks, just wondering if I needed to keep tweaking things. My desired load is 40.6gr of RL16 and I see it throw between 40.60 and 40.66 pretty consistently. I think most of my overthrows are due to clumping so I'm going to try using an insert to see if that helps things.

Sorry for the thread highjack

Sold my chargemaster 1500 after buying the A&D FX120i with auto throw auto trickler setup. For precision (and possibly me being OCD) I'd go with the A&D with auto trickler/throw again. Hands down. But if you trickle up to your charge weight with an Omega trickler or similar. You can get very good results with the chargemaster 1500 too.

It would take a half dozen charge masters to keep up with a jds quick measure . If speed and precision are your goal this is what you want. Accurately throw 4064 with a measly 1/10th grain variation. Not even worth trickling. Not only is it faster than my chargemasters it's way more consistent/accurate. I have a wife and kids so I hated spending hours throwing and trickling. Not anymore it's literally 10 times faster than my chargemaster.
    Hope this helps wish I had found this year's ago. What a time saver.

Reactions: Pog
    You kinda need to know what you wanna do in dropping powder. You either go throw or weighted. When in doubt, invest in a Prometheus. Then there’s nothing else after that..lol

I kinda didn’t want to sell my first born to get a Prometheus. I know they are nice and all.
    They're nice, and I am able to use one (I can't afford it but luckily know someone who could), but when I upgrade my personal reloading bench down the line I'd go with an Autotrickler over a Prometheus just because it's a much better value. Realistically the Prometheus isn't going to be much better than the Autotrickler.

The Autotrickler will be within 2-3 kernals of powder every time and within 1 kernal most times, compared to 1 kernal consistency with the Prometheus. I know I can't outshoot the difference that 1 or 2 kernals makes with the type of shooting I do, and the Autotrickler is both cheaper and a little bit faster.

A chargemaster with the straw mod is pretty accurate too though, with the only real disadvantage being that it is slower than the other two.

I spoke with the owner of JDS and I ordered one. He was very informative and helpful. I will give a review after I get it and test it. Oh he also told me if I was not happy with it that I would be able to return it for a full refund. You just don't get that kind of service much anymore.

I went from an old beam scale and using pinches of powder with my fingers to get close, to the Chargemaster Lite. I’m not going back! That thing is so good, I run into maybe 2-3 overcharges in every 100.

I got the quick measure and it’s not as easy as I hoped. I’m with in .3 but not on the money every time. More to come about it later.

Varget and h4350 throw perfect on mine mounted to the 650. 4064 is acceptable but not dead on like the others. I give it 2 seconds to fill and about 2 sec to empty. Varget and h4350 are my go to powders I would buy it just for metering those. The ability to load precision 6.5/308 on the 650 is a HUGE time saver. Hopefully you can get it worked out.